The Single Speed Thread

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Definately when your ride geared and single speed you hit the trails up differentl... stuff like a short sharp pinch on SS you need to do those 4 or so super hard pedal strokes and get momentum and then commit... if you are behind a geared person you hear their gears drop down and their speed slow. SS is definately using momentum in a different way and does make social riding and chatting difficult with geared people even if overall the ride takes the riders the same time the fast and slow bits are different.

I think one thing about the sore back is with SS or a hard tail you need to stand up over all the bumps while you can get sloppy on a duallie as it takes the shocks for you. There are muscualar differences in SSing but really a lot of the back pain comes from that bumping. SSing you use your upper body a lot more and after a good ride the whole body feels used while a ride on a duallie with gears usually just leaves your legs like jelly but the rest ok.
yes I think alot of the pain comes from the bumps on a HT rather than SSing too - stronger core and get out of the saddle more

stu-2

Likes Dirt
Hopefully my first foray into single speed happens this weekend if all goes well, parts have all turned up to convert my old atx 840, also have got a Niner emd 9 frame coming from Fitzroy Rev, will be a single speed project over a few months with parts pinched off the atx.
Interesting days ahead with riding here in Devonport and local xc course at Turners Beach, starting off with 32:18.

victor h

Likes Bikes
10 speed chain on SS

Hey busy building a sub 8Kg SS and wanna use a 10spd chain to help with weight. Anyone tried this?

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It should work, providing your cog & chainring are 10sp. Get your chainline spot on though. I use 9sp on mine with no issues.

fatarseracing

Likes Bikes
the long and the short of it!

Hey busy building a sub 8Kg SS and wanna use a 10spd chain to help with weight. Anyone tried this?
think of the PINS holding the links together as a broom handle...stay with me!!!.....now , try to break that big long broom handle!...easy isn't it!.....now cut that broom handle in half (make your chain link PINS shorter) and try to break it!.....it's harder isn't it!...(assuming that the pins are made of the same material, same diameter and are NOT hollow)

make sure the chain is straight and fits over the chainring and sprocket without the links being forced apart when under load!

find yourself a titanium hollow pin chain.... and smash it !!! http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=64022

don't smash the chain!!!...I mean smash your riding buddies into SS submission!

Last edited:

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Oooh I want one of the black ones. I don't think mine's ever been below 8kg. The Superfly Singles are ridiculously fast, have fun!

As long as you're running 3/32" chainring and cog, then the 10spd chain will work fine.

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
Oooh I want one of the black ones. I don't think mine's ever been below 8kg. The Superfly Singles are ridiculously fast, have fun!

As long as you're running 3/32" chainring and cog, then the 10spd chain will work fine.
Is that the reason you wanted to put the 'fly on a diet, Ed? So insecure.

Charlie

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
recommend me some cranks, ie: x7 any good for ss
X7 would be fine. I prefer square taper myself. The bearings seem to handle crap a bit better than externals.

If you get X7 with a double chainring, the spider is removable and Homebrewed components in the states make spiderless chainrings for them. Only prob is that it's about a 4 month wait.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
I just put a Sram 1090r 10 speed chain on and it works fine. The rear cog is a Shimano DX cog and the front chainring is a Blackspire MonoVeloce.
This is on my dually with a sprung tensioner.

stu-2

Likes Dirt
X7 would be fine. I prefer square taper myself. The bearings seem to handle crap a bit better than externals.

If you get X7 with a double chainring, the spider is removable and Homebrewed components in the states make spiderless chainrings for them. Only prob is that it's about a 4 month wait.
what crank arms do you use with square taper and what is a good square taper BB, i happen to have a couple of new new Alivio arms, i know they are low end but still useable.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what crank arms do you use with square taper and what is a good square taper BB, i happen to have a couple of new new Alivio arms, i know they are low end but still useable.
I use Middleburn RS7's on a Real Components bottom bracket (no longer sold). If you can find a Shimano UN73, they're pretty good.

On my old bike

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
If I didn't have cranks right now I would go either the Middleburn or Paul, will probably go them next.

Presently am using Race Face Dues cranks with a Surly chainring. I use 175mm cranks to keep things consistent across a stable of mtb's.

I have also found the Wipperman 808 chain to be uber strong and long lasting.

victor h

Likes Bikes
I just put a Sram 1090r 10 speed chain on and it works fine. The rear cog is a Shimano DX cog and the front chainring is a Blackspire MonoVeloce.
This is on my dually with a sprung tensioner.
Yip, 60km ride and 10 spd dura ace chain perfect. Thanks for all the comments.

victor h

Likes Bikes
photo (7).jpgphoto (6).jpgphoto (5).jpgphoto (4).jpg

Trek Superfly Single speed 2012 all done. First ride completed and all I can say is WOW. Besides a few hassles with the drop outs and chain adjustment the ride was enough to make me very happy.

2012 Superfly SS Carbon frame set
Richey Stem
Crest wheels with Stan's hubs.
Racing ralph's
Noir cranks
BBB Bottle cage
XTR brakes
Dura ace 10spd chain
Gravity carbon alloy bars. 740mm (maybe will be cut to 700, one more ride to make sure.
EZI chuncky grips
Easton seat post
Fizzik saddle
White brothers carbon fork

All this and 7.99kg (ok, had to remove one scoop of Stan's from each wheel, one scoop per wheel should be enough. haha.) makes for one sweet ride.