The Single Speed Thread

m_g

Likes Dirt
one and all. the date is set! Newcastle 28th November 2009!
sounds wicked!!!
I propose that all participants must dress in period (1897) costume...slacks, long shirt (dresses for the ladies), and a vest...an unkempt beard earns extra points

Alysum

Likes Bikes
G'day,

Wanting to one day N+1 SS; I'd like to get a better idea how the standard (?) SS gearing of 32 x 18 feels like.

What would be the closest gearing on a standard XT 27 speed drivetrain?

Cheers

Baz rides

Likes Bikes
You've got the luxury of trying before you buy...

Your middle ring should be 32 tooth, so from there find your 18 tooth on the back and stay in that for a while - see what you think, if it doesn't suit your riding find which gear does.
However if you're looking at going 29" remember that 32:18 is roughly the same as 32:16 on a 26" (i think...) due to the different wheel sizes.

I ride 32:18 on a 29" but live in a fairly flat area - gives me a pretty high cadence most of the time, but is pretty heavy going uphill.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wanting to one day N+1 SS; I'd like to get a better idea how the standard (?) SS gearing of 32 x 18 feels like.

What would be the closest gearing on a standard XT 27 speed drivetrain?
Its middle ring up front (ie 32 teeth) and then probably 4 or 5 on your shifter. The only way to know for sure is to go to your rear cassette and count them.. it will be one of the ones in the middle.

I did this for a while before building up a single speed and even though the ratio may be the seem the feel is very different. The SS will feel much more responsive.

I ride 32:18 on a 29" but live in a fairly flat area - gives me a pretty high cadence most of the time, but is pretty heavy going uphill.
This is also really important. I live in a really hilly area so use 32:17 off-road. When on road however that is too spinny and 32:16 is much better.

Last edited:

funky

Likes Dirt
Single Speed Help

Not sure if this is the best place to post, but I'm looking to build a single speed town bike, with this little jobby I picked up for a steal from the Crazy Bike Guy.

Mainly for nicking up to the shops, putting a kids seat on the back, and the occasional commute (will mainly use the road bike for that).

I've currently taken all the gears off it, and set it up to ride on a 40:20 gear (not tested yet, but that is using the existing cassette and front cogs.

I want to drop a lot of weight off it, so the cassette and cog need to go.

So, where do I begin (some photos below)?

Basically, I'm not sure what my options are with the front cranks / cogs.

I think I can take the rear cassette off easily, and then use spacers, but I don't have the right tool.

All advice appreciated.

Attachments

Alysum

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the responses :) I will use the middle ring then and count the T on the cassette of my Trance X1 and try riding in that combo for as long as possible.

Well the bike I really like is the Bianchi SOK 29er and I would have to order it online; can't really try it beforehand as it doesn't seem to be available at all in Oz :(

Any comments on that bike? It looks very well speced and has such a pretty frame, prettier then the Avanti KISS or Kona Unit IMO :)

The gearing I'm looking for is a good compromise between non technical fire trails (e.g. Terry Hills in Sydney) and for my 20mins commute to work which is somewhat undulated but mostly flat.

Cheers

Last edited:

supagav

Likes Bikes
Single speed

Well you have made a good choice with that frame to start with.

Step one is to get your LBS to remove the rear cassette and get them to put on a BMX freewheel cog. If you want to use the 40 at the front then it might pay to run a 19 or 18 on the back as a 20 is pretty low geared..... i will leave that up to you though. the other option is to use the 48? on the front and a 21 on the back. If you choose this becareful of the chainline as I did this and had to fluff around a bit to get it sorted.

Then you put the wheel back in place and set up the chain length to work with the gear that you choose.

Hope this helps. I have just done this to a bike I got for free and it is a great deal of fun to ride.

Good luck.

aido ssss

Likes Bikes
compromise between non technical fire trails (e.g. Terry Hills in Sydney) and for my 20mins commute to work which is somewhat undulated but mostly flat.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

gearing will be different for each rider and location, you can always change the gear ratio to suit. I prefer to spin either on the road or dirt.
don't stress. buy the bianchi all you have to worry about is the size and what to wear with it.
make sure it gets here before the single speed champs!:D

Alysum

Likes Bikes
I'm actually having troubles trying to locate this Bianchi Sok - Only Jensons seem to sell it in the whole world and the shipping is $250 :( So delayed for now.

How come such a well known brand (road I know) is hard to get?

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
I'm actually having troubles trying to locate this Bianchi Sok - Only Jensons seem to sell it in the whole world and the shipping is $250 :( So delayed for now.

How come such a well known brand (road I know) is hard to get?
use a mail forwarding service and save maybe $150 on postage...

Drew Peacock

Likes Bikes
My new baby

Hi Guys, I'm new to Rotorburn, but MTB riding for about 15 years, I'm also new to SS'ing having caught the bug about 18 months. I started with a Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Alloy frame which I converted into a 26" SS. I next moved to a Surly Karate Monkey and I love steel and I love the 29" SS. I have been steadily making the gearing harder and I now run 33:17.

What I would like some advise on is my next bike - a 29er SS but this time I think I want to try a more exotic frame i.e. titanium or similar. Having said that I don't want spend a fortune say maximum AUD$2,000 on a frame. Now there is Voodoo Zaka, Vassago Optimus Ti, Lynskey Ridgeline (I like the Pro29 but they are pricey) - can anybody suggest any more frames I should be looking at or a vendor that gives really good prices.

Guys after a little bit of heartache and a lot of messing around I finally have my new bike a Lynskey Pro29.
It is kitted out with;
Fork = Fox 32 F29 RLC FIT 15mm thru axle.
Controls = Ritchey WCS Carbon bars, stem, seat post, with Fizik Gobi saddle.
Drive train = XT cranks, Hope BB, Surly 33 front and 17 rear
Brakes = Avid Juicy 5.
Wheelset = Hope Pro II hubs, DT Swiss KT 7.1 rims running Nevegal (front) and Crossmark (rear)

I took it for a test ride on the weekend (mainly on-road due to trail conditions) and it performed flawlessly. The ride is a little upright but I'm going to give it a few weeks before I look at trimming the steerer and maybe reduce the frontend height.

The next upgrades are the brakes and convert the wheels to ghetto tubeless.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, I can't wait to get this bike on the single track to see how it handles.

Attachments

fezi

Likes Dirt
Guys after a little bit of heartache and a lot of messing around I finally have my new bike a Lynskey Pro29.
It is kitted out with;
Brakes = Avid Juicy 5.
Wheelset = Hope Pro II hubs, DT Swiss KT 7.1 rims running Nevegal (front) and Crossmark (rear)

I took it for a test ride on the weekend (mainly on-road due to trail conditions) and it performed flawlessly. The ride is a little upright but I'm going to give it a few weeks before I look at trimming the steerer and maybe reduce the frontend height.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, I can't wait to get this bike on the single track to see how it handles.

Nice. real nice.
What size frame? The wheels don't look "that" big. I've just dropped some coin on the ridgeline

chumbox

Likes Bikes
It is kitted out with;
Brakes = Avid Juicy 5.

Sweet setup, nice frame indeed.