The Smiths Gully Thread

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Done.

The official Yarra Trail riders tour of Smiths (complete loop) is scheduled for the 26th of October. 9:00 AM at the general store.

This will be a social ride, no one gets left behind.

Bring your own bike

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Is that the general store at St Andrews? Am I even in the right area? Do you eventually fly down some singletrack parallel to a rode and come out on the road just up from an antique centre and have to climb up a sealed road? I remember starting at that shop in St Andrews- riding for 30 hours, past the turn of to Sugarloaf, riding another 12 hours, lots of fire roads, heat, flies, exhaustion and finally the need to lie down and have a little nap. Is that Smiths?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
smiths is one of those fly under the radar type of places, aren't always good to publicize if you know what I mean.

don't know what others think and maybe these days with strava it don't matter.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Smiths general store is just a few km down from Panton Hill. Before st Andrews but on the same road.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Recommend you have some level of fitness for Smiths as there is a significant amount of climbing (but with rewarding downhills).
Last ride there (with Jim) was about 35km and about 1000m of climbing

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Just saw new heading so better chuck this here;

26th is good.

Re 9am, can we do 8am (or better still 7.30am) otherwise we'll be there all day, also 4hrs is not enough to do all the trails out there but we'll get heaps done.

The Gen Store is Smiths Gully General Store, Smiths Gully (cnr Clintons Rd), it is between Panton Hill and St. Andrews heading out from KG, if you have gone down the hill into St. Andrews you have gone too far.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
JD there's buffer all fire trail in the loop but what you described is the ridge road descent.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Recommend you have some level of fitness for Smiths as there is a significant amount of climbing (but with rewarding downhills).
Last ride there (with Jim) was about 35km and about 1000m of climbing
+1 and no water available on route until back at store.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
good pies.
Great pies and sausage rolls 101
the General Store also has very tasty burgers and hot chips for a post ride pigout.
and chutney not sauce on pie but haven't been there for a while.
Hello! Now you're talking. I'm in. Can't make the ride on the 26th but am always keen to try out new burgers and pies. Might as well bring the bike, to really make a day of it.

Aussie_Ryder

Likes Dirt
Just remembered/was informed that it's my Mrs birthday on the 26th so I'm out

If any RBers see an all black banshee spitfire on the smiths trails come say gday. Living 5 minutes from the smiths store has seen me riding these awesome trails most nights after work and weekends.

If any of the trail fairies have work that needs done up their I'm more than happy to help. I don't have Facebook so contacting Brendan is hard. You can pm me here and we can sort out a time to meet up. I've been feeling guilty enjoying these amazing trails without lifting a shovel.