The Smiths Gully Thread

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mars how about we start at 8:30 and be flexible about the plan.

I would've suggested we try Boomers->Rob Roy->Mars-Ben->Sugarloaf->Ridge Road->Back into Happy Valley from Clintons Rd and then back to the store. That loop takes me just over 2 hours of riding. Even with an easier pace and 2 or 3 stops we can do this loop in around 3 hours. If not we'll ride less of it, no biggie. :)

Last time we were out there in a group with Court there was a guy that really struggled. :) That's a factor we have to account for in a social ride, so I'm pretty laid back about how much of the network we'll ride.

Just saw new heading so better chuck this here;

26th is good.

Re 9am, can we do 8am (or better still 7.30am) otherwise we'll be there all day, also 4hrs is not enough to do all the trails out there but we'll get heaps done.

The Gen Store is Smiths Gully General Store, Smiths Gully (cnr Clintons Rd), it is between Panton Hill and St. Andrews heading out from KG, if you have gone down the hill into St. Andrews you have gone too far.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Mars how about we start at 8:30 and be flexible about the plan.

I would've suggested we try Boomers->Rob Roy->Mars-Ben->Sugarloaf->Ridge Road->Back into Happy Valley from Clintons Rd and then back to the store.
Yep flexible plan is cool, 8.30 is cool, we can assess based on where riders feel they are at, at the moment. I can mix it to save beans on bits so that riders have petrol for the testing bits on call. Definitely some of the bits you have suggested will be good.

As a guide for those unfamiliar with SG, to get a proper appreciation and get up all of the trails a crude guide could be as follows:

Solid riders - triple chain rings
Strong riders - double chain rings
Elite - single chain ring

big gags

Likes Bikes
Yep flexible plan is cool, 8.30 is cool, we can assess based on where riders feel they are at, at the moment. I can mix it to save beans on bits so that riders have petrol for the testing bits on call. Definitely some of the bits you have suggested will be good.

As a guide for those unfamiliar with SG, to get a proper appreciation and get up all of the trails a crude guide could be as follows:

Solid riders - triple chain rings
Strong riders - double chain rings
Elite - single chain ring
So what level are us single speeders at?? I've been riding out there regularly for years with a group of like-minded blokes with the majority of us on single speed 29ers although we have been riding out there less since they converted a few of the single track sections to shared path for horse riders, walkers, and mountain bikes. There are still some good challenging sections out there and the earlier post was on the money with a 35 km ride involving about 1,000 m of climbing.

As for post-ride food at SGGS, you can't go past the egg, bacon, cheese, and relish sandwich - I think the current owners must have gotten the recipe when they bought the store from Ross as their version is just as good as the old ones used to be!!

Gags

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So what level are us single speeders at?? I've been riding out there regularly for years with a group of like-minded blokes with the majority of us on single speed 29ers although we have been riding out there less since they converted a few of the single track sections to shared path for horse riders, walkers, and mountain bikes. There are still some good challenging sections out there and the earlier post was on the money with a 35 km ride involving about 1,000 m of climbing.

As for post-ride food at SGGS, you can't go past the egg, bacon, cheese, and relish sandwich - I think the current owners must have gotten the recipe when they bought the store from Ross as their version is just as good as the old ones used to be!!

Gags
Single-speeders would be elevated to the upper echelon of the mtb gods, unless of course you run easy ratios and still hike a bike on every climb. :)

Join us on the 26th! I can't promise that JD will behave.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
SSers are anti social

Single-speeders would be elevated to the upper echelon of the mtb gods, unless of course you run easy ratios and still hike a bike on every climb. :)

Join us on the 26th! I can't promise that JD will behave.
Im not riding with SSers- whats the point? When I ride with SSers they take off on the climbs because they need the momentum and spin out and plod along the flats. Then on the downhills they have to pick their lines becasue if they are single speed they are probably rigid, carbon, in lycra, miniimalist bearded prats. So when you go riding with SSers you might as well be riding on your own cause they are either in front mashing up a climb or out the back spinning like a freak. Dont come on a social ride with your SS carbon rigid bikes and then be anti-social. Bikes have gears unless it is a track bike- romantic KISS gits.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im not riding with SSers- whats the point? When I ride with SSers they take off on the climbs because they need the momentum and spin out and plod along the flats. Then on the downhills they have to pick their lines becasue if they are single speed they are probably rigid, carbon, in lycra, miniimalist bearded prats. So when you go riding with SSers you might as well be riding on your own cause they are either in front mashing up a climb or out the back spinning like a freak. Dont come on a social ride with your SS carbon rigid bikes and then be anti-social. Bikes have gears unless it is a track bike- romantic KISS gits.

+100000000000

I SS too, but wouldn't bring it on a hilly group ride with other geared bikes.

Last edited:

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shut up JD.:biggrin1:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Coaster since you're now part of the Epic brotherhood you can ride whatever you like; you automatically qualify as awesome! :)

Pistonbroke, want to buy my 2013 S-Works XTR so you can belong?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Coaster since you're now part of the Epic brotherhood you can ride whatever you like; you automatically qualify as awesome! :)

Pistonbroke, want to buy my 2013 S-Works XTR so you can belong?
I would like to buy your Epic, what size is it? Oh its the female specific version- thats ok- sell it to Piston, she will love it.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I have an Epic and a SS, I must be the anti Christ.

Anyhoo, back on track, Big Gags, riding SG on a SS is a seriously good effort. I take it on a 29'er, what ratio are you running?

Gags

mars mtb

Likes Dirt

Gags
SS cool, I only take mine when I do a particular loop where I'm certain I won't be getting off as my knees are getting old, but I use it in much of my other training in other areas.
If it is your only ride or you really like it, no sweat, the hard man category for you, although on several of our regular climbs I have seen ss monsters walk, or rather loft the bikes onto their shoulders and run, but we can avoid a couple of those or provide an alternate line if need if the guys want to experience them.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
SS cool, I only take mine when I do a particular loop where I'm certain I won't be getting off as my knees are getting old, but I use it in much of my other training in other areas.
If it is your only ride or you really like it, no sweat, the hard man category for you, although on several of our regular climbs I have seen ss monsters walk, or rather loft the bikes onto their shoulders and run, but we can avoid a couple of those or provide an alternate line if need if the guys want to experience them.
youve seen grown men throw their bikes on their shoulders and run up a hill becasue they cant ride it. Sounds like fun.:mmph:

John U

MTB Precision
Can I crash this party? How hard is it going to be? Surely I can build up my fitness enough in a couple of weeks. I'll be tops when it comes to eating pies at the end.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
youve seen grown men throw their bikes on their shoulders and run up a hill becasue they cant ride it. Sounds like fun.:mmph:
Yep, but they were on a ss for this particular climb and they still beat everyone up once they passed the 2 killer sections where they hopped back on. Not a regular climb, more a hardcore training with gears section. Gears are no guarantee you wont be walking. But may save this climb to when everyone is on their game.

I'll take your direction, fun, steady, back to cars rooted but happy.

Beej1

I would've suggested we try Boomers->Rob Roy->Mars-Ben->Sugarloaf->Ridge Road->Back into Happy Valley from Clintons Rd and then back to the store.
I'm curious about this part: Ridge Road->Back into Happy Valley from Clintons Rd and then back to the store

The end of the Ridge Rd descent is a good few km away from Clintons - do you ride along Eltham-Yarra Glen Rd for this part to get back to Happy Valley? I hate riding along the verge of that - stopped doing it after a semi trailer missed me by <1m while I was well off the road and he was avoiding a truck in the opposite direction, and it was in one of the parts where there's no trail to the left (north) side. I've always wanted to have the time to build ST all along this route as there's plenty of land for it.

Other parts you could include are Bunjil (turn right after Boomers and head up LG road then take a few side tracks along to Panton Hill, then through Bunjil back to LG road mineshaft area), and the Motchalls descent to Turnung/Gills Rd ... but that requires the aforementioned stretch along E-YG Road.

Depending on availability I'd be happy to take anyone who's less interested in climbing fast and simply getting to the tops of all the good descents on offer out there at a (very) leisurely pace.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just saw new heading so better chuck this here;

26th is good.

Re 9am, can we do 8am (or better still 7.30am) otherwise we'll be there all day, also 4hrs is not enough to do all the trails out there but we'll get heaps done.

The Gen Store is Smiths Gully General Store, Smiths Gully (cnr Clintons Rd), it is between Panton Hill and St. Andrews heading out from KG, if you have gone down the hill into St. Andrews you have gone too far.
there's a ride on that day for the guy (Paul) who recently died starting at 9 at general store (road ride), so car park will be busy.

The Date for the Remember Paul Pagliaro (Pags) Ride Day will be held on Sunday 26th October Meeting at 9am Smiths Gully General Store. Followed by a bite to eat and coffee at your will. I encourage riders medium to high level as it will be a road course not a bike track course. So please come along and Celebrate the Life of My Mate and Everyones Friend on our bikes. I look forward to seeing you all there.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm curious about this part: Ridge Road->Back into Happy Valley from Clintons Rd and then back to the store

The end of the Ridge Rd descent is a good few km away from Clintons - do you ride along Eltham-Yarra Glen Rd for this part to get back to Happy Valley? I hate riding along the verge of that - stopped doing it after a semi trailer missed me by <1m while I was well off the road and he was avoiding a truck in the opposite direction, and it was in one of the parts where there's no trail to the left (north) side. I've always wanted to have the time to build ST all along this route as there's plenty of land for it.

Other parts you could include are Bunjil (turn right after Boomers and head up LG road then take a few side tracks along to Panton Hill, then through Bunjil back to LG road mineshaft area), and the Motchalls descent to Turnung/Gills Rd ... but that requires the aforementioned stretch along E-YG Road.

Depending on availability I'd be happy to take anyone who's less interested in climbing fast and simply getting to the tops of all the good descents on offer out there at a (very) leisurely pace.
Yeah, it's the only bitumen bit in the loop. Luckily, I've never had an incident. I agree NP, some trail to link those 2 points would be ab-fab. FWIW this ride will be leisurely, I mean that 100%, and I'd love it if you could join. You seem to know so much about the area. :)

On the SS ratio topic, I easily ride Hans with 32-18, but would get use a 19 tooth or even better a 32-20 for SG. Like Coaster, I have both an Epic and an SS!