The stupid questions thread.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Wind.

More specifically wind and water. Why does wind appear to travel slowly across open water, but then when it hits you it is stronger than the speed it appears to be traveling?

My assumption is that the air is actually rolling, similar to what water does. Am I correct?
Yeah, you're basically right. Surface friction creates a turbulent boundary layer, which means there's a lot of vertical movement within the airflow as well as travelling across the surface. That's how you get gusts, lulls (reduced windspeed) and small shifts of direction. Little pockets of this turbulent flow come bashing down from a great height and spread out as they hit the ground, much like a water balloon, so you get increased wind pressure at the front of the gust, small shifts around the sides as it blows across the "gradient" wind, and a lull, or dead spot behind where there's actually pressure against the gradient wind, causing a slight reduction of wind pressure.

You can see the effects really well on a windy day where the wind is blowing off the shore & onto the water. The land introduces a lot more turbulence than the water does, and there are no waves (unless it's an ocean beach subject to big swells) so it's pretty calm close to shore. If you can get a good vantage point you can see the pockets of air hit the water, spread out & race across. In yachtie terms we call them bullets, 'cos they're small & powerful. Funky stuff. :smile:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You guys are cruel. Shreddog the answer is easy - flip the boards over.
That's just dumb, the boards are only coated one side, so after you burn the house down to hide the damage and your parents rebuild ALWAYS flop the boards first, play, then flip them back. Easy.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's just dumb, the boards are only coated one side, so after you burn the house down to hide the damage and your parents rebuild ALWAYS flop the boards first, play, then flip them back. Easy.
But shouldn't goat shredder be able to flip the faux boards, run an orbital sander over them, then roll on a 2 pack finish? Should come up good as new and he won't need to worry about his parents getting pissed. In fact if he does a good enough job he may have to be careful when coming home that they aren't so excited by the finish on the boards that they are having to tear each other up nude style in the hall way....

Shredden

Knows his goats
Affirmative. Wallace Shawn. Appeared on King of the Hill and family guy too.
Excellent. Very distinctive voice haha.

Disclaimer; I am not watching Clueless.

Okay yes I am I just have a thing for chicks with blonde hair and dark eyebrows please dont hate me

moorey

call me Mia
Excellent. Very distinctive voice haha.

Disclaimer; I am not watching Clueless.

Okay yes I am I just have a thing for chicks with blonde hair and dark eyebrows please dont hate me
rest assured, my hatred is immaterial to your watching clueless.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
But shouldn't goat shredder be able to flip the faux boards, run an orbital sander over them, then roll on a 2 pack finish? Should come up good as new and he won't need to worry about his parents getting pissed. In fact if he does a good enough job he may have to be careful when coming home that they aren't so excited by the finish on the boards that they are having to tear each other up nude style in the hall way....
Yes that would work but way more effort that razing the boards. Might need to run the boards through a thicknesser just to make all hoof marks removed. I guess the floor could be pulled up and dumped and then report the floor as stolen?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes that would work but way more effort that razing the boards. Might need to run the boards through a thicknesser just to make all hoof marks removed. I guess the floor could be pulled up and dumped and then report the floor as stolen?
Winner! He will need to be careful in choosing where he dumps it. Insurance fraud is a serious issue and costs everyone, but in this instance it would be the swiftest solution. Maybe build a bunch of north shore out of it.

moorey

call me Mia
*dad joke warning.

That plan sounds floorless. :whistle:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Encyclopaedic proportions :second:
With this retarded hipster plague of "irony" lovers, youmay be able to cash in. Mooreys guide to being a good dad. Chapters of age and activity specific jokes and some heart warming stories plus a few snaps. A speaking tour...50 shades of dad. Maybe 50 jokes of dad.