The stupid questions thread.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Dissolve 0.5kg of salt in 2ltr of water, with a few teaspoons of washing up liquid. Spray that on when sunny and dry. Any plant that survives that will survive the apocalypse
And plan to never ever grow anything there ever again.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I know someone who works in this space and there isn't anything that is anywhere near as good as Glyphosate but less nasty. For small areas boiling water is the best but it sounds like your doing a large area.
This is what I was afraid of. Hate the shit but weeds... frog friendly I am sure is a term meaning it wont kill Frenchies if they are on another continent or something. The enviro stuff made the leaves go yellow then the plants came back stronger than ever. I need to clean up patio area and fire pit paving, both add up to about 90m2 plus more than 1km of fence line which has all manner of nasties like wire vine, waitawhile, bluetop, lantana etc. Sigh... nitric acid is good and less nasty I fear.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I will try the saline solution but I suspect it only kills off the leaves and stem and the roots will continue rooting with new leaves.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I will try the saline solution but I suspect it only kills off the leaves and stem and the roots will continue rooting with new leaves.
If you do it post up the results. I've just put 18l of glyphosphate out but it doesn't kill some of the bulb type weeds on the deco driveway. Stubborn bastards really want to live...

Scotty675

Cable thief
This is true, unless once they brown off you physically pull out weed including all roots. Normally reshoot stronger than even. Natural and killing don’t really go together. Especially on woody and broadleaf weeds. People will swear by them and also white vinegar mixtures (more acidic the better). Wetters and penetrants can help but only with herbicides. Rotation of different class herbicides helps.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Honestly... nothing is frog friendly. Not the organic solutions. Not the other solutions. Nothing. But here's the thing. To get a home remedy to kill a weed or moss or lichen or what ever...you need epic concentration. To get Glyphosate to kill the average weed it's like 10 ml per litre of a 360 grams per litre concentrate and it has a half life of less than 36 hours...less if it rains. Simply because the compound is biologically available. Home solutions are about overwhelming something with shit living things don't like..

In the end, the solution to pollution is dilution.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Glyphosate is getting a undeserved bad rap in the herbicide arena, there is nothing safer in its class for the environment. The residual it leaves is minute way better than anything thing else not withstanding some of the home remedies.
For a decent area it's a hard one for the home remedies, application wise.
Glyphosate works faster and better during the growing period ie. after rain.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Honestly... nothing is frog friendly. Not the organic solutions. Not the other solutions. Nothing. But here's the thing. To get a home remedy to kill a weed or moss or lichen or what ever...you need epic concentration. To get Glyphosate to kill the average weed it's like 10 ml per litre of a 360 grams per litre concentrate and it has a half life of less than 36 hours...less if it rains. Simply because the compound is biologically available. Home solutions are about overwhelming something with shit living things don't like..

In the end, the solution to pollution is dilution.
From Wikipedia
The half-life of glyphosate in soil ranges between 2 and 197 days; a typical field half-life of 47 days has been suggested. Soil and climate conditions affect glyphosate's persistence in soil. The median half-life of glyphosate in water varies from a few to 91 days.[55] At a site in Texas, half-life was as little as three days. A site in Iowa had a half-life of 141.9 days.[87] The glyphosate metabolite AMPA has been found in Swedish forest soils up to two years after a glyphosate application. In this case, the persistence of AMPA was attributed to the soil being frozen for most of the year.[88] Glyphosate adsorption to soil, and later release from soil, varies depending on the kind of soil.[89][90] Glyphosate is generally less persistent in water than in soil, with 12- to 60-day persistence observed in Canadian ponds, although persistence of over a year has been recorded in the sediments of American ponds.[86] The half-life of glyphosate in water is between 12 days and 10 weeks.[91]

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Glyphosate is bad juju. It is the next big law suit for Monsanto and others. Cant argue with its efficacy but there are enough cases to suggest it isnt carefree like it is advertised to be. I hate the shit.

Scotty675

Cable thief
There is no arguing that glyphosate and other herbicides are bad.
Unfortunately every action has a reaction. Natural remedies may seem safer but to pour that much salt, vinegar, oil, dishwashing liquid list is endless, onto the plant effectively kills the soil make up. Then you proceeded to pour countless amounts of fertilisers on to combat this.
Ive got a background in fruit growing and I’ve had this discussion with countless back packers who are very green. I’ve even used there methods in front of them to show what happens, they are around for 3 months to see the results.
A lot of the time you’d be better off pouring petrol on the weeds.
On large scale operations unfortunately we have to use these products.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
The trick is to grow something you want, or something low maintenance in these areas. You will always find the worst weeds where weed killers have been used. The weed killer creates the bare soil that the weeds so readily infest.

In amongst pavers you either introduce a nice lichen to keep the obnoxious weeds out, or use steam or flame.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk