The stupid questions thread.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Sorry more curious about plan for the mounting - just a universal type strap mount or getting excited with drill and rivnuts?
Nothing to be sorry about I have been trawling the net for people who have mounted bottles in banshee frames and in general have found very little inspiration. Initially I'm thinking of using my specialized side load off the Waltly as it's very low profile and mounting with cable ties. Not looking at drilling and rivnuts.... Yet.

moorey

call me Mia
Does a Monarch plus RC3 piggy back shock have to run in a particular orientation? Currently it is running with the air can towards the bars and the piggy back facing up but if I ran the air can facing the rear wheel and the piggy back down I could fit a water bottle in the front triangle... I have thought about it and instead of the piston driving into the air can the air can would be driving into the piston, I can't see an issue with this but I also know very little about suspension.
Monarch will be fine. I ran my rune with a CCDBA upside down once. First big hit, it connected with the down tube just enough to slice through my rear brake line.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Monarch will be fine. I ran my rune with a CCDBA upside down once. First big hit, it connected with the down tube just enough to slice through my rear brake line.
I flipped the monarch upside down and at full compression it squashed the cables a bit, that's why I figured I would need to run it the other way. Thank you for confirming my hypothesis.

moorey

call me Mia
I flipped the monarch upside down and at full compression it squashed the cables a bit, that's why I figured I would need to run it the other way. Thank you for confirming my hypothesis.
Hmm. My monarch didn’t...but that was rune...also they are very different. Piggyback is on the body of monarch, but on the shaft of CCDBA.
Some people say it’s better to Mount a shock so that oil sits around the seals....but plenty of bikes come with the shaft facing up, so might just be a myth. @link1896 ?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Hmm. My monarch didn’t...but that was rune...also they are very different. Piggyback is on the body of monarch, but on the shaft of CCDBA.
Some people say it’s better to Mount a shock so that oil sits around the seals....but plenty of bikes come with the shaft facing up, so might just be a myth. @link1896 ?
Yeah time to call in the professional

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Shock air cans run pretty thick lube oils, gravity isn’t going to help a huge amount, and working them distributes the oil pretty well.

Forks do run much thinner oils, but the bushings wipe so much oil off the stanchions due to such tight spacing that the wiper seal and oil soaked foam rings do a lot of the work preventing dirt ingress and lubrication in the top half. Various forks over the years have used bushings with slots. No current offerings I’ve seen have used slotted bushings, fox have in the past.

As to floating pistons in shocks, the piston has at least 150psi of gas behind it. It will work in any orientation.

Frame clearance is the bigger concern with shock orientation. Angle grinders are your friend!!!

Do regular fork lower and shock air can service. You can’t over service them people. There is a shortage of spares looming for rockshox thanks to covid.