The SU-WE-SIDE build...

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
Can anyone suggest a STRONG fork for a very old frame?

I found a frame worthy of DH build in a bike shop. I could tell it's been there for ages due to it's weight (imagine a 2009 Giant DH frame, x2.8 the weight), approximately 6~6.5kg. The frame has variable geometry and can be configured based on rear suspension in use, amount of rear travel preferred or just plain rider preference. It's currently stocked with a DNM shock with and e-to-e length of around 7.5" with a 3.25" stroke. The frame definitely is intended for DH but I'm thinking of using it strictly for FR about 70% of the time and I guess 30% would be jumping off cliffs and what not. I was told by the LBS that it came around in 2004 and has been there since but this frame is the type most riders will shy away from because it's just plain HEAVY (I could imagine how sluggish it will feel as it squids down turns, but highly stable on re-entry on drops and stuff).

The problem I got for this build is I couldn't decide on what fork to match the weight and brutal strength of the frame. I reckon this frame will break the toughest fork in the market so I'm really doing a good deal of research and would like the community to pitch in some ideas.

I got pictures on my mobile and wish to upload, but my terminal just wouldn't want to talk to my phone for security reasons. The LBS just told me to post geometric measurements and have the knowlegeable people do the "figuring it out"
Here's the specs:
  • Head tube length : 5" or 127mm, therefore fork steerer must exceed 153mm
  • Head tube size : 1 1/2, huge :D
  • Down tube length : 27", measured from center of BB to to top of head
I reckon forks with travel from 170mm or higher is the right thing but I got reservations on just using the amount of travel. When this is complete, I reckon it'll tip the scales near the 30kg mark.

floody

Wheel size expert
The frame won't break 'most forks on the market' and frankly DNM shocks aren't usually seen on brutally tough high end equipment.

You could use any number of forks on the market. Rockshox Totems, Marzocchi 66 or 888, Manitou Travis single or triple... 1.5" steerer is no particular issue as you can use a reducer headset to run a 1-1/8" fork if need be.

Any chance you could tell us what brand the thing is? Is it one of the older Dabomb frames?

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
Make and model are as much of a mystery to me as it is to the LBS selling it. I guess I'll get their support as I had a wheel purposely built from them and for that bike itself.

The DNM shocks will be one of the firs things replaced as soon as I get the bearings on the frame's identity. All I can say for now is its weight (6~6.5kg), and the specs I've shown. I'm really struggling to put the pictures up cause I know it'll tell more than what I can blabber about.

I might have to visit Dirt Works sometime soon to find out in detail what they have to offer regarding spare parts (linkages, pins, etc).

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys!!!

Community support is really yeilding a lot more than what leg work can do in a day. I really appreciate that.

It just crossed me that that this might be a RaceLine frame and it may not be from 2004. After a visit to one of the LBSs, I have reason to believe that it could be from a little later (2005~2006). Also, RaceLines come usually with Manitous... so I think I should be looking along those lines.

Anyway, I'm getting the real good itch in building this thing and seeing it flying with me down the cliff. I just got to do it right the first time around or it'll be a bitch to fix cause it's way too old. I'll be posting pictures shortly... stay tuned folks

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
It just crossed me that that this might be a RaceLine
Yes most likely a Raceline EXT Pro DH, the 03/04 model came stock with DNM rear shock and DNM Volcano USD (upside down) forks

The 05/06 Model had Manitou stance kingpin forks

03/04 Frame:

05/06 Bike:

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
Those frames strike a similarity with the following... Looks like I was wrong about saying it's later than 2004... it could be older...

Whole frame:

The rear suspension linkage. Notice the variable settings that can be made with various holes in the rear suspension lever.

Angled shot of rear suspension linkage. Notice the variable setting for the seat post. I probably would rethink of putting that seat post. As it is, it looks already too high for a seat.

Front triangle. The down tube is huge.

Truvative left side crank, DNM shock and

I'm getting really excited now :D

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
find someone who went to the 2004 ( for 05) bike show, i swear it was there along with that black raceline, had similar specs. and i remember something with a T (ot looks familiar in my head was simliar to GT font) at the end. Ran a 40 or 42 ring, rrp was like $3300.

you dont forget a seat tower like that.

find the 2004 booth list and i can tell you who: they were middle left row on the ground floor with mongoose up the end of that row, with felt being far felt/ along with giant then gf near goose'.

best bet is to email bicycling Australia for the list as they appear to of handled it all.

i havent seen the company since the show, cant say the quality was overly amazing..

Last edited:

condog

Likes Dirt
man id like to huck that thing off a big cliff. Just like to comment on how many shock/frame settings are on that thing, its crazy!

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
man that thing is a tank! definitely something different though..

pretty cool in its own way i think with everyone trying to be a weight weenie with there dh bikes these days!