The Track Thread

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Thought I'd start a track specific thread as the fixie thread is mostly street orientated.

To kick off, here is a picture of me at last years Hobart Carnival after winning a few of the 'cash' sprint laps. The bike I was riding is an Avanti Pista that I built up with Sugino 75 cranks, Mavic Ellispe wheelset and Deda cockpit.

- What track bikes are you guys riding? Post up some pics!

- Post pics of your local velodrome! I've also attached two pics of Newtown Velodrome in Hobart.

- What gear inches do you run on: (a) indoors on a banked wooden velodrome like Launceston (b) an outdoor concrete banked velodrome like Brunswick of Canberra (c) on a outdoor flatter tarmac velodrome like Devonport or Hobart?

Also here is a list of the 2008/2009 Tasmanian Christmas Carnivals. Well worth going to:

• Rosebery: Saturday December 20th, 2008
• Latrobe: Friday December 26th, 2008
• Launceston: Sunday, December 28th, 2008
• Devonport: Monday & Tuesday, December 29th & 30th, 2008
• Burnie: Thursday 1st January, 2009
• Hobart: Sunday 4th January, 2009
• St Helens: Saturday 17th January, 2009

I'll be flying south and doing Hobart at the very least. This season I reckon I'll do a few races in Alice Springs on their velodrome and maybe even a few Victorian events. Speaking of which, does anyone know when the Wangaratta Track Carnival is on?

Edit:

- What other regional track carnivals are held in Victoria and South Australia over summer?

- Are most of the regional Vic/SA velodromes the relatively flat numbers that ring cricket ovals? Ala Hobart, Devonport, Burnie etc etc?

Also anyone racing Track at the upcoming Masters Games in Alice Springs? I rode the velodrome there two weeks ago. It's very similar to the velodrome in Canberra. Not as nice as Brunswick.

Attachments

Last edited:

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool idea.

I also have an Avanti Pista Pro with Campag Pista Wheelset and Sugino 75's. It's a bit of a budget build - got the frame on eBay for $150 new:D. My local track is now the Midvale Speedome in Perth. I don't get there as often as I'd like as it's a bit of a drive. The summer series is starting soon and I'd like to get down to a few of the races over the summer.

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
I also have an Avanti Pista Pro with Campag Pista Wheelset and Sugino 75's. It's a bit of a budget build - got the frame on eBay for $150 new
Pretty similar build, I scored my frame cheap then built the bike slowly, wheelset on special, bars and post off ebay then stem from Jensonusa.. the bike rides great for an alloy track bike.. stiff as.

My local track is now the Midvale Speedome in Perth.
Any pics? Keen to see shots of other velodromes yo.

Here's a shot of Devonport.. Not a great shot but you get the idea..

Attachments

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't mind the Pista Pro, but I would prefer a steeper headtube. One of the WAIS riders over here was being hassled for riding a Pista Pro over his BT and commented that the Pista was way stiffer than the BT

Midvale Speedome, which has one thing Dunc Gray doesn't have - a decent warm up track.

Attachments

COR10

Likes Bikes
I also attend the midvale speedome.
Been going tuesday nights for about 2 months or so.
Have a Hillbrick Pista, only changes so far are a set of second hand wheels (miche hubs, velocity escape rims, dt swiss spokes, singles) but i am looking to change the handlebars as i hate the ergo bars, want to go to a traditional horizontal drop bar like the nitto's. Running 48/14.
Raced for the first time last friday which was the end of the winter series.

The start of the summer series is this sunday at 11 (warmup 10) if anyone is interested. 09 license's are availble thru' track comittee on the day, or you can get a day license.
Following that i think it is every friday night but not sure when it is starting.

Other nights that i know of for training are:
monday (institute of sport)
tuesdays (80 laps behind m'bike then scratch races)
wednesday (institute of sport i think)
thursday (open track, training night)
all start at 6.

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
One of the WAIS riders over here was being hassled for riding a Pista Pro over his BT and commented that the Pista was way stiffer than the BT
Wow, really? I've only done a few laps of Newtown Oval on Steve Rossendell's BT.. I loved that bike but it did feel wrong to be taking such a lovely machine out on such a rough tarmac track.. Definately would trade my Pista for a BT.. I have been eyeing off the new carbon Hillbrick track frame.. fair bit cheaper than the BT and looks super tidy.. http://www.hillbrick.com.au/images/stories/gallery/gallery_0041.jpg

Midvale Speedome, which has one thing Dunc Gray doesn't have - a decent warm up track.
Nice loop.. the inside warm up track is a great idea.. beats lugging rollers around the countryside..

Keen for some more velodrome shots yo! Here's another shot of Hobarts Newtown Velodrome. The the track there is tarmac sealed, a tad rough in places, uphill straight into the finish, a slight bank on the first turn with a marginally bigger bank on the second turn.. flat really though.

Attachments

Last edited:

floz

Likes Dirt
Here are a few photos of the track I used to race on at Renmark SA in the late 80's and early 90's. Its located around the local footy oval. I remember lots of 'exciting' moments sprinting for the line before it was bitumised around 1992. The rear wheel would often skip out if you got choppy with your pedalling action on the crusher dust surface. Myself and some of the other younger blokes would deliberately try and get some wheel spin while warming up. The banking seemed a lot steeper back in 1937, I think the track was modified a few times over the years.
I used to ride a all chrome frame borrowed from Bob Fisher, which had quite steep angles for a frame of its era. I learnt a lot about racing from the older blokes, some of which have passed away since. There stories and exploits from back in the day are legendary.
I rode at Hanson Reserve and the Superdrome in Adelaide on the odd occasion too.

Attachments

RCOH

Eats Squid
I did track training & practise races at Tempe track for a few months this year but just as I was getting right into it I got a new job and my work hours changed meaning I couldn't make the trainig nights. I was going to do the RAW series a Dunc Gray but family commitments + work also made this impossible.

Does anyone know if they have weekend race or training days at Tempe or Dunc Gray, as this is the only time I can make it?

Pics of Tempe - it is a lovely concrete track, and the location of some of the most fun I have had on a bike (especially when I pulled my foot halfway through a standing sprint!)

Sandtastic

Likes Dirt
Can someone tell me where the RAW track is?

Got myself a fixed gear bicycle, its not exactly beautiful but I love it :))) and I'd love to start track racing.

RCOH

Eats Squid
RAW is the winter track racing series held at Dunc Grey Veldrome.

Dulwich Hill Dycling club hold Track Training & practise nights at Tempe track 6.30pm-9.30pm monday & wednesday, randwick botany cycling club on Tuesday & Thursday. I highly recommend going it is great, no egos and you get faster quickly.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Does anyone know if they have weekend race or training days at Tempe or Dunc Gray, as this is the only time I can make it?
Dunc Grey is open on weekends for training, you need to book with Cycling NSW by the Wednesday.

Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club hold occasional races at Tempe (Omnium style) on Saturday afternoons, was supposed to be one last Saturday.

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Here are a few photos of the track I used to race on at Renmark SA in the late 80's and early 90's.QUOTE] Awesome shots Floz!

Hey have you ever seen any shots of the former Mildura wooden velodrome @ Number One Oval? Not sure when it was pulled down or burnt down, but it must have been awhile ago..

(I'll be back in Mildy Xmas-time with my roadie if ya up for a spin)

floz

Likes Dirt
The Mildura track was dismantled at some stage, I have never seen any photos. I'll ask a bloke I next time I see him, who knows a fair bit about the local cycling history and has a bit of literature lying around.

I'll be around town until a day or two after Xmas, always keen for a ride, then I heading to Adelaide for a week.

velolove

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know about specifics on rules? Like I know with road racing you have to have drop bars and wear lycra and shit is it the same for velo?

Sandtastic

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know about specifics on rules? Like I know with road racing you have to have drop bars and wear lycra and shit is it the same for velo?
You don't have to "wear lycra and shit" Ken. :p

Need to be fixed, brakeless and have drop bars.

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
edwardstown velodrome (adelaide) 485m i think
Rad tandem trackbike.. Always wanted to try one.. heard they flex alot under the pump.. T?F?

Any Farkineers heading to Alice Springs for the Masters Games Track Racing this coming Friday night? Kick off is at 5:30pm.. I'll be there, in the stands.. :( thirty is too young apparently.. bummer.. so.. anyone?

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Alice Springs Velodrome

^^^Pics from Masters Games on Friday night..

^^^ Me taking a spin on Monday (track bike was at home :( )