The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

floody

Wheel size expert
Rolled my Mongoose out for it's maiden off-road ride (well, for me) today. One thing lead to another and I just never had a chance to get it out before (and I was kind of scared of breaking it). Was better than I expected really, alloy fork was less harsh than I imagined. XTR M900 drivetrain works very well, sharp and solid shifts. Panaracer Smokes are pretty good for a tyre designed in 1989. Handling on singletrack is really good and it climbs amazingly well.

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rolled my Mongoose out for it's maiden off-road ride (well, for me) today. One thing lead to another and I just never had a chance to get it out before (and I was kind of scared of breaking it). Was better than I expected really, alloy fork was less harsh than I imagined. XTR M900 drivetrain works very well, sharp and solid shifts. Panaracer Smokes are pretty good for a tyre designed in 1989. Handling on singletrack is really good and it climbs amazingly well.
Very nice Mate. You don't clip in?

floody

Wheel size expert
I bought some vintage shimano SPD boots so I could, but they never arrived...resurrected some VP flats instead and have some fluoro yellow Specialized toe clips and hot pink Mt. Christophe straps on the way.
Clipped in for a couple of years in the mid 90s when I was racing a bit of XC but have run flats since about 1997 otherwise. Also this old clanger goes to the shops and stuff so being able to casually jump on is good.

donny70

Likes Dirt
I bought some vintage shimano SPD boots so I could, but they never arrived...resurrected some VP flats instead and have some fluoro yellow Specialized toe clips and hot pink Mt. Christophe straps on the way.
Clipped in for a couple of years in the mid 90s when I was racing a bit of XC but have run flats since about 1997 otherwise. Also this old clanger goes to the shops and stuff so being able to casually jump on is good.
Just get some old school bear traps on there. Love the smokes never liked the dart up front always found it a bit sketchy. Overall that ride has come out damn fine :)

old

Likes Bikes
Hi there..This week I finished cleaning up a 1996 Univega Alpina 502..it was sold to a lady in the UK (still has the sales sticker) who rode it a few times on the road and gave up..its almost like NOS condition..full stx group..mavic wheels..concept cockpit..not top of the range ..but still pretty cool

markus84

Likes Bikes
uploadfromtaptalk1430611725640.JPGthought I'd share this one, finally finished building this one last year. 02 super 8, x-vert carbon and araya black wheels all original, the remaining running gear is mostly new age. Bit big for me so I reckon I'll sell it soon....

jmacbrid

Likes Dirt
I have two frames I am looking to do a restomod 1 x 10 or SS build on.
First is an hand made Japanese 1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team XTR which is 7000 alloy tubing. Has Mazzorchi Star forks on there which will remain.

Second is a 1990 Mongoose Sycamore All Terrian, with double butted Tange Tube and 4130 Chromo Fork.

Looking to use a the bike as a XC trail rider and pathway bike. Any picks on which one?

biteme_microsoft

Cannon Fodder
Hi All,

I have a bike circa early 2000's that I think may possibly be of need / use / want for one of these projects (predominately due to it's forks) and wanted to know where is the best place to try and sell it as I believe it doesn't really fit into the current trading areas as such.

Are we allowed to post say a description / photo in this thread asking if the bike is of interest to anyone or is this strictly forbidden?

Any help / ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Hi All,

I have a bike circa early 2000's that I think may possibly be of need / use / want for one of these projects (predominately due to it's forks) and wanted to know where is the best place to try and sell it as I believe it doesn't really fit into the current trading areas as such.

Are we allowed to post say a description / photo in this thread asking if the bike is of interest to anyone or is this strictly forbidden?

Any help / ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hey Biteme, just put it in the trading area that fits it the best. You'll not do well if you start posting for sale stuff outside of the trading area.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Not sure where this kind of question might go, but I thought I might just leave it here and it can either be answered or removed at leisure....

As one of the several million bikes that litter my house and its surrounds, I have a 2001 Giant ATX 870 that was left behind by a previous housemate. I've been inspired by a couple of places (most notably here: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?292665-Reviving-the-unloved) to perhaps give it a bit of work, break out the paint stripper and give it a new lease of life as a single speed pratt-around bike (drivetrain is pretty much dead).

Question I have is - is it worth it? Where did this particular Giant sit in the model range? All I want to know is if the frame is actually worth putting a bit of time, attention and hand me down parts into or not..... If it was an up-spec model/frame (and disc brakes in 2001 was a bit fancy wasn't it?) then I'll be much keener to put a bit of effort into it, if it was a $500 base model then.....yeah. The internet is does not appear to have an overly ample about of information about this model, or era.

Cheers

slowmick

38-39"
Not sure where this kind of question might go, but I thought I might just leave it here and it can either be answered or removed at leisure....

As one of the several million bikes that litter my house and its surrounds, I have a 2001 Giant ATX 870 that was left behind by a previous housemate. I've been inspired by a couple of places (most notably here: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?292665-Reviving-the-unloved) to perhaps give it a bit of work, break out the paint stripper and give it a new lease of life as a single speed pratt-around bike (drivetrain is pretty much dead).

Question I have is - is it worth it? Where did this particular Giant sit in the model range? All I want to know is if the frame is actually worth putting a bit of time, attention and hand me down parts into or not..... If it was an up-spec model/frame (and disc brakes in 2001 was a bit fancy wasn't it?) then I'll be much keener to put a bit of effort into it, if it was a $500 base model then.....yeah. The internet is does not appear to have an overly ample about of information about this model, or era.

Cheers
you're not helping me with my decision to get rid of my old mountain bike magazines.

the 1999 MTB buyers guide shows that the numbers got higher as the specs got better.

Started at ATX 830 @ $955 RRP and went up to ATX 870 RRP $1975. The next levels (ATX 950 and ATX 970) were dual suspension.

unless something changed in a big way in the following two years it seems you have the top of the line hardtail. if you are really keen to know i will dig out some 2011 magazines and see if i can find a review :)

in 1999 the ATX 870 was retty much all LX level gear with an XT rear derailleur.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Thanks heaps mate! That's brilliant news. I did wonder whether perhaps it was a bit better than it's tired looks suggested (particularly after derisively pumping on the Judy forks and being pleasantly surprised at the responsiveness). Given the spec perhaps I should try salvaging some of the drivetrain too.

Yep would be totally keen to read a review :) - although I've just read the first post and it seems the above bomber doesn't quite qualify for inclusion here (not quite old enough) so I might take my new fangled rubbish elsewhere!

Awesome thread btw.

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A couple of new pics:

1) Been looking for a nice, original Cannondale duallie for the shop, & finally found one. It's a little beauty too. Almost in new condition, & it's a '91!

2) Had to clean out the shed over the weekend so I decided to line up all the retro-rigs (that are currently assembled..) for a photo. Had to go pano on this ne. :)