The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

EMF

Eats Squid
Big time

I had one of those frames many years ago, quite a good bike, ahead of it's time / one of the first real AM bikes.

Loving the formula's, second version by the looks, with the resivoir, I had the origonals which where a closed system, hence not great on a hot day with a long decent.

What are the forks?
Fox fork Vanilla 125R
Ditched the REAR air shock for the RC
Fox released this fork that year 2002
Awesome fork at the time and you also got two more different springs and a pump
Fox boasting back then all their internals were aluminium oppose the the plastic junk in Manitou

How times have changed :dance:

Formulas were temperamental
Leaking top caps to loose rivets on the floating rotors
when they worked great power
pretty much the same as todays Formula brakes

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hahaha IRC Kujo's. Man that takes me back. They were my go to until the Michelin Comp 16 was released and made every other tire on the market look ordinary.

heavyp

You heard it here first
I have a set (two) Black firm springs for RS Boxxer 98/99 for sale if anyone is interested ?

Very rare

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Free Trek 9000 (pick up only) - Taken

Hey guys,

This bike has been boxed up upstairs at work for years. I thought someone on here might like it. It may not be worth anything but i thought i'd ask before it gets recycled. Reply in thread for dibs and pm for contact details. I don't know anything about it and don't have the time to answer questions about it. I'm just cleaning up the shop and need the space. Cheers.Trek 9000 001.jpgTrek 9000 002.jpgTrek 9000 003.jpg

Last edited:

emerthis

Likes Dirt
I'd love for this to be my entry into retro, but I'd never be forgiven by the wife, even if I could find space to house it. Biopace cranks?

aanon

Likes Dirt
That Trek is a beauty, I nearly bought one when they were new, luckily I chose something else.
If I lived in Melbourne I would be banging on your door big time, awesome old reminder of how crap those things really were.
If Yet1 loses interest and you don't mind freighting it to Adelaide chuck us a PM. Cheers.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Always loved the Trek 9000 ejector seat.

Still remember it BITD at Clarence Street Cyclery in Sydney. The undamped supreme pogoness looked awesome on the shop floor.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Awesome bike like the tear drop helmet. How many teeth is that front cog.
Those Paragon Machine Works pizza sized chainrings were huge. Just soooo cool. NFI how many teeth but it must be between 120 to 150 I'd guess.

Must have been a hoot with what looks like Judy DHO's up front at uber speeds. I'd be begging for Marzocchi Z1's before hurling myself down something steep

Love that bike though.

jbg

Likes Dirt
That trek is sweet Matt C. If the deal falls through and it needs a loving home I would happily take her in ;) (I'm in Richmond)
A real early 90's classic!

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive got a couple of folding IRC Kujos downstairs that I found the other day if anyone wants them. Just pay postage. About 50-60% tread.

donny70

Likes Dirt
Finally finished. Powdercoated by Roberto in red candy flake. Grip modified it to run disc on the rear to go with the shivers up front. Running hope x2 with Goodyear hydro lines and ilink gear casing. Top line cranks on there too. Amazing ride with the 120s up front, leaves a lot to be desired in the modern rides I have. They're vanilla, this is definitely another flavour :)

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Wow, so cool, great job, much envy. Great way to show up some of the small steps technology has made.
Cable outers and brake ages though :nono: too modern.
How did you hold back? I wouldn't be able to help myself, I would run new brakes but I'd not stop there. New shock, and maybe shock mount and chain guide, 1 x 10, and new forks. That frame would still be worthy of all those updates.
Beautiful for the retro build it is though. I might have some new old stock IRCs somewhere if you need them. I have an Intense tyre.
You planning to ride it much?