The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

safreek

San Andreas frame for sale on Facebook, $490. Won't let me download the photo. Piece of MTB history, wish I had the loot. Andy bleh on retro bike
Get on it, maybe download a photo if you can. For others interested

safreek

Come on guys, one if you Richie rich fellas buy it and build it up.
If I win Lotto I will take it of your hands then. Guaranteed investment

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picked up something a bit different. Liked it because it has a distinct Klunker/Repack vibe.

Diamondback Voyager III. Has had some upgrades, but mostly original.

Last edited:

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
Diamondback Voyager III. Has had some upgrades, but mostly original.
...looks very klunkeresque ;)

speaking of diamondback....i have a '97 ascent 3.0 in pretty decent shape (with refreshed drivetrain-new bb,chain,cassette) stx / stx-rc groupo...just needs a new headset then its ride-able. im tired of storing it and want to offload it...

where? how much? should i sell the parts or as a complete ride? would there be any market for a 20 year old dually?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
where? how much? should i sell the parts or as a complete ride? would there be any market for a 20 year old dually?
@franco cozzo , I have to admit I'm a long time fan of your work. Always wanted to buy some fine furniture from Footescray.

This should be enjoyed by all. Best. Furniture. Commercial. Ever.

Now without further ado, back to our scheduled Vintage MTB programming.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After finding the Diamondback above, I have one of these that needs a new home.
1990 Apollo Everest with e-stays Deore LX running gear. Currently completely stripped down as I was going to rebuild it, but couldn't decide on paint.

jbg

Likes Dirt
Anyone have some recommendations for shock repairs in oz that would be able to work on old rockshox and fox rear shocks?
I have used james at Fixmyshox but he’s moved on to new endeavours.
Cheers
Jake

notime

Likes Dirt
After finding the Diamondback above, I have one of these that needs a new home.
1990 Apollo Everest with e-stays Deore LX running gear. Currently completely stripped down as I was going to rebuild it, but couldn't decide on paint.
What size is it? I had the alloy frame team version, still have the velocity on deore hub wheelset and most of the running gear, the frame cracked so many times I got sick of getting it welded and gusseted, silly to bin it though.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What size is it? I had the alloy frame team version, still have the velocity on deore hub wheelset and most of the running gear, the frame cracked so many times I got sick of getting it welded and gusseted, silly to bin it though.
Mine is an 18”.

John U

MTB Precision
6B412676-B224-460E-A5A8-9019CA8DA921.jpeg
Found this pic of my original MTB today.

1996 Mongoose IBOC SX, full alloy frame (with some CNC artwork), Judy XC’s (63mm travel), full LX with XT rear derailleur (3*8), canti brakes. Only upgrade was a shorter KORE stem (from the crazy long fucker that was stock).

Was a great bike. Looked awesome in bare alloy. Did numerous runs down the Delatite River trail back in the days when it wasn’t marked and instead of bridges across the river there where 6 foot drops straight into the water in places.

Frame had to be replaced around 2000 due to a crack in the head tube at the bottom of the front.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Picked this up for a pineapple this morning. Trek Singletrack 930 completely original aside from seatpost, saddle and moutainbikesdirect sticker, although I'm not 100% sure about the crud catcher vintage! Rear wheel needs a quick true otherwise it's all running smoothly aside from the fork. As a bonus it also came with the original manuals and purchase receipts (purchased 20/10/1995 for the princely sum of 629.99 pounds, from Birmingham, UK).

Trek.jpg

So two questions:
1. The Quadra elastomers are knackered, as no doubt the seals are. Where's the best place to get spares?
2. Anyone have a set of 3 x 7 rapid fire STX shifters lying around? I'd prefer them to the grip shifters.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Nice find. I see you already posted on Retro MTB on Facebook and got an answer on the elastomers. The Crud Catcher is the same as the one given away free with a UK mag back in the day, had the exact same on my bike, would have been 1995/6 from memory.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Nice find. I see you already posted on Retro MTB on Facebook and got an answer on the elastomers. The Crud Catcher is the same as the one given away free with a UK mag back in the day, had the exact same on my bike, would have been 1995/6 from memory.
Hah! Nice to hear the Crud Catcher matches the vintage.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice find, I'd be cautious of whatever handlebars on that trek if lightweight alloy jobbies

Remember those MCMs from back in the day and thinking the 970 was even more amazing.