The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here's my 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, held by...Tom Ritchey.
For those that aren't aware Mr Kelly (aka Repack Rider) used to have a store with some bloke called Gary Fisher where they sold bikes made by another bloke called Tom Ritchey...

He's also had some minor involvement with downhill racing and the odd magazine article. ;)

Last edited:

solo

Likes Dirt
heres my old giant atx 870 which i still have although only 50% together but i still have all the components
it originally came with a set of rock shox quadra 5's which i still have but replaced them with the rst mozo pro 3.5 's
top spec lmao stx alivio all round
the best thing i ever did was get avid single digit v's

Attachments

AngoXC

Wheel size expert

Im not even sure if this qualifies as 'Vintage' but the bike is a Wheeler CZX (circa 99?) and I cannot find any information on it. The suspention design is pretty basic being just a simple URT...but Im intrigued as I saw one today, fairly decked out. The fork is a Zoke.

Bodin

GMBC
the best thing i ever did was get avid single digit v's
I think the best thing you ever did was continue riding well in to the new millenium so that you could enjoy the *massive* progress that MTB equipment in general has made since most of the bikes in this thread were made.

I look back fondly on some of the medium- to high-end bikes that I've owned, but in general, most of them were unreliable, heavy and over-rated crap and I'm incredibly thankful for the technology that gives us what we ride today for about the same price (i.e. hydroformed aluminium, platform suspension and tubeless tyres).

The real reason I admire vintage bikes is because of the effort that went in to making them at a time when the industry was small and also because of the crazy shit that people did on them - like John Tomac racing DH on roadie drop bars... and getting serious air time! :eek:

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the best thing you ever did was continue riding well in to the new millenium so that you could enjoy the *massive* progress that MTB equipment in general has made since most of the bikes in this thread were made.

I look back fondly on some of the medium- to high-end bikes that I've owned, but in general, most of them were unreliable, heavy and over-rated crap and I'm incredibly thankful for the technology that gives us what we ride today for about the same price (i.e. hydroformed aluminium, platform suspension and tubeless tyres).
Sometimes when I throw the leg over one of the older steeds I find that while in some respects I find them really outdated, in other ways I'm less sure that the advances have really added to the overall riding experience and in some cases made it worse.

Riding an old rigid steel bike with top mount thumbies is a great laugh and something everyone should do more often. New full suspension bikes just smooth everything out so well that when you jump back even the smothest of trails can be far more entertaining at a much lower speed on the old beasties, as you weave around minor rocks and pebbles sucking up the variations in your body.

Style wise I was riding with a mate on Tuesday night, him on his new Carbon GT and me on the old 97 King Kahuna in all its Ti and anno goodness. Put them side by side and the GT just looked ordinary in my opinion whereas the different coloured parts the bolted arch on the Z1 etc just looked the business. Ride wise the GT was great but had no character compared to the old Kona either...

Anyway I'd still say that nothing compares to an old bike when it comes to the stupid grin factor :D

mrbishi

Likes Bikes
the old 97 King Kahuna in all its Ti and anno goodness. Put them side by side and the GT just looked ordinary in my opinion whereas the different coloured parts the bolted arch on the Z1 etc just looked the business. Ride wise the GT was great but had no character compared to the old Kona either...

Anyway I'd still say that nothing compares to an old bike when it comes to the stupid grin factor :D
Pictures of the King Kahuna please! :D

I agree - I have a grin from ear to ear whenever I ride my DBR. There's just something "fun" about riding old bikes.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pictures of the King Kahuna please! :D
These aren't recent pics so ignore the DX pedals, everything else is the same though. Its in the post your ride section too if you are interested in the finer details. One day I'll get round to posting some of the other bits and pieces I have...

Attachments

Last edited:

Lorday

Eats Squid
For those that aren't aware Mr Kelly (aka Repack Rider) used to have a store with some bloke called Gary Fisher where they sold bikes made by another bloke called Tom Ritchey...

He's also had some minor involvement with downhill racing and the odd magazine article. ;)
I think I know that Gary fisher guy, he runs a company doesn't he, along with some guy called Mr Paykel

Style wise I was riding with a mate on Tuesday night, him on his new Carbon GT and me on the old 97 King Kahuna in all its Ti and anno goodness. Put them side by side and the GT just looked ordinary in my opinion whereas the different coloured parts the bolted arch on the Z1 etc just looked the business. Ride wise the GT was great but had no character compared to the old Kona either...
...and the Kona's got a good 5kgs on the GT

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...and the Kona's got a good 5kgs on the GT
Well the 97 Z1 with its coil springs and open bath damping is a little bit more weighty compared to the 08 F series Fox, but the overall weight difference is not as much as you'd think... ;)

Additional: In my opinion ye olde Z1 shits all over the F series Fox in terms of damping and trail responsiveness too. The Z1 will also last forever whereas Fox aren't known for their longevity.

Last edited:

mrbishi

Likes Bikes
These aren't recent pics so ignore the DX pedals, everything else is the same though. Its in the post your ride section too if you are interested in the finer details. One day I'll get round to posting some of the other bits and pieces I have...
Very nice ! the anodized bits and bomber suit that bike perfectly :)

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This one has recently gone to a new home

However, I do have the Deore DX groupset. One day I will find the right frame to run it all on.

And of course there is this:

That turned into this:

The build was inspired by the 'Clunkers'.

Ans speaking of being inspired by Clunkers :eek:

Last edited:

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kudos if someone can guess what this is.
I'm going to say bombers..... lol, 01 Super T or Monster T, But i'm going ot agree with Bodin on Super T, most likely from 00-01? Close at all? I'll tell you travel is 130mm, is that close? or am i on a trail of fail?