The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Ozchuck

Likes Dirt
Sorry, I tried to watch that video.
It was just lots of camera shots of guys riding past, or holding the brakes all the way down a hill.
I didnt make it more than 10-15 minutes through. the random black and white was annoying.

Are all mtb dvds like that?

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry, I tried to watch that video.
It was just lots of camera shots of guys riding past, or holding the brakes all the way down a hill.
I didnt make it more than 10-15 minutes through. the random black and white was annoying.

Are all mtb dvds like that?
Riding an old hardtail equiped with a dodgy RS fork and canti brakes, that was the only way to get down a steep hill a lot of the time.

And there are mtb movies/dvds which are a lot worse...

Dicky

Punter God
Riding an old hardtail equiped with a dodgy RS fork and canti brakes, that was the only way to get down a steep hill a lot of the time.

And there are mtb movies/dvds which are a lot worse...
VHS copy of the 1990 'Kamikaze' Worlds @ Mammoth... truely woeful, I should put it in the 'worst movies' thread.
At least there's footage of some of the older big names.

floody

Wheel size expert
I had one of these Pro Flex 855's in the 90's..until the frame cracked :( The frame is still sitting in the garage waiting to be polished up and mounted on the garage wall

I see you and raise you one of the TWO new old stock Pro-Flex 953s which reside in the shop I work at.

Here's my long suffering '94 Shogun Prairie Breaker, though its sporting rigid forks now (quadras were shite, sold them off, much the same as the noodlelike 120mm controltech stem thats also gone).

Pic doesn't do justice to the cool hand airbrushed silver/blue fade paint, haha. Thinking of restoring it. That Zaskar reissue with the repainted Rebas got me thinking...Vintage looks with modern function would be cool.

Theres also a few other old clangers at work; STS1000DS frame, vintage (early 90s) rocky mountain HT with very little use, couple of old kleins (no rad fade paint though).

I really want an Intense M1-SL frame to cosmetically restore and put on the wall, anyone got one mouldering away...

Last edited:

Bodin

GMBC
Barry

My piece of the vintage world is Barry - my 95 or 96 fully rigid Avanti Barracuda.

Still does regular duty as a commuter and has survived being hit by cars and dropped down concrete staircases from a great height. Originally bought for $1000 and I used to run it offroad with Onza ButchK 1.95 semi slicks.

Great memories - it was the bike that made me love this sport.

Neon

Likes Dirt
im not surprised he ended up with a health issue on a bike like that...
(i know thats all he had)

Pete J

loves his dog
Just picked up a 96 GT Teqeusta and have started fiddling around with it.
However, during the fiddling around, i discovered that the welds on the seat stays have come off of the seat tube. :mad:
Seeing as the seat tube is connected to the top tube quite substantially, will this be only a minor issue? Or will it require surgery?

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just picked up a 96 GT Teqeusta and have started fiddling around with it.
However, during the fiddling around, i discovered that the welds on the seat stays have come off of the seat tube. :mad:
Seeing as the seat tube is connected to the top tube quite substantially, will this be only a minor issue? Or will it require surgery?
In short take a few photos, send them to Grip and give him a call. It should only be a minor op done in day surgery.

Mr Bungle

Likes Bikes
Absolutely true - Cully was an absolute legend for years. I've got a memory that a serious health issue prematurely ended his career, but Google isn't being my friend at the moment.
Pretty sure he had bad heart valves and had artificial ones put in. Raced for a short time after that too.