The watch thread.

Matt H

Eats Squid
To the owners of mechanical watches out there - how accurate is your movement? I've been wearing my ETA 2836-2 based Tissot for a few days which seems to gain ~17 seconds a day. I've read that some movements need to "break in" and become more accurate? I'm aware that mechanical movements have nothing on a quartz, but I'm not sure what is an acceptable tolerance.

Also, does anyone know of a good Australian based site or retailer for straps? I'm keen to see what an olive green NATO strap would look like on my Timex easy reader.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
I love a nice watch but let's face it, 99% of the ones in this thread are either unique and ugly or look good but like every other watch out there. A $200 watch can do the same job as a $9999 or even $150000 (absurd!) watch. I just can't see any justification in a watch that costs in the thousands, it does not guarantee you accuracy. My watch is nothing fancy but keeps time perfectly. I only adjust the time two times a year (start and end of daylight savings) and it never noticeably drifts from the gps time . So, where does the extra money go in this old and easy to produce piece of equipment?

What more do you need? I don't get it.

John U

MTB Precision
To the owners of mechanical watches out there - how accurate is your movement? I've been wearing my ETA 2836-2 based Tissot for a few days which seems to gain ~17 seconds a day. I've read that some movements need to "break in" and become more accurate? I'm aware that mechanical movements have nothing on a quartz, but I'm not sure what is an acceptable tolerance.

Also, does anyone know of a good Australian based site or retailer for straps? I'm keen to see what an olive green NATO strap would look like on my Timex easy reader.
My automatic ORIS loses about 6 minutes a week at the moment. When I bought it it was losing about 2 minutes a week. When I complained to the store they said these auto watches usually run fast. I got it serviced after having it for 2 years, took a week, cost $400, and made no difference to it losing time.

Anyone know of a place to get an ORIS serviced at a reasonable price in Melbourne? It seems that the store I purchased the watch from has all the ORIS servicing in Australia stitched up. Very uncompetitive.

Apart from that it's a great watch. I just need to constantly remember it loses time so I don't miss the fuckin train.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I love a nice watch but let's face it, 99% of the ones in this thread are either unique and ugly or look good but like every other watch out there. A $200 watch can do the same job as a $9999 or even $150000 (absurd!) watch. I just can't see any justification in a watch that costs in the thousands, it does not guarantee you accuracy. My watch is nothing fancy but keeps time perfectly. I only adjust the time two times a year (start and end of daylight savings) and it never noticeably drifts from the gps time . So, where does the extra money go in this old and easy to produce piece of equipment?

What more do you need? I don't get it.

Do you buy all your clothes at Rivers?

MasterOfReality

After forever
My Grand Carrera Calibre 8 has a ETA 2892-2 and is rated for something like -4/+6 seconds per day.

If the watch is going for around 3 weeks without being wound it does gain a few minutes. Nothing to worry about.

I bought my wife a Longines automatic last year and that gained nearly 5 minutes after a few days. Sent it back to Longines for adjustment and no problems since.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Do you buy all your clothes at Rivers?
Nope. Can't say I like any of Rivers clothing. Just not my style. If the only alternative was to spend $5000 to get a pair of jeans I liked, then I prob would buy my clothes at rivers.

Are you saying that in order to get a decent looking watch you have to spend thousands? Or that a $5000 watch will work any better than a $200 one?

I understand there is a difference in quality of materials but over a certain price point the difference is negligible considering the watch leads a rather protected life on your wrist while you push that pen or sit at that computer.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Nope. Can't say I like any of Rivers clothing. Just not my style.

Are you saying that in order to get a decent looking watch you have to spend thousands? Or that a $5000 watch will work any better than a $200 one?
No. I'm saying that if all you are looking for is practical then why spend money on anything? Why spend $100 on an outfit when you can clothe your bare skin for less than $25 at Rivers or even less at the Op Shop?

THe answer is aesthetics. We like 'em and more importantly so do other people whom we hope to impress. Humans have been adorning themselves with fancy trinkets since the caveman days and going all 'bling' since Ancient Egypt. Expensive watches are just another example of this and unlike bespoke suits or flash cars, they don't tend to go out of style or depreciate in value.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
No. I'm saying that if all you are looking for is practical then why spend money on anything? Why spend $100 on an outfit when you can clothe your bare skin for less than $25 at Rivers or even less at the Op Shop?

THe answer is aesthetics. We like 'em and more importantly so do other people whom we hope to impress. Humans have been adorning themselves with fancy trinkets since the caveman days and going all 'bling' since Ancient Egypt. Expensive watches are just another example of this and unlike bespoke suits or flash cars, they don't tend to go out of style or depreciate in value.
I don't think the clothing analogy is a good one. A pair of $200 jeans is generally made with a better quality denim than a cheapo pair which in my experience means you get longer wear out of them.

Judging by this thread, an expensive watch does not tell the time any better than than a cheapy nor does it buy you a better looking watch.

Having to spend five to ten thousand dollars just for a brand name on your wrist to impress others is pretty vulgar (and sad) in my opinion but each to their own.

rone

Eats Squid
I don't think the clothing analogy is a good one. A pair of $200 jeans is generally made with a better quality denim than a cheapo pair which in my experience means you get longer wear out of them.

Judging by this thread, an expensive watch does not tell the time any better than than a cheapy nor does it buy you a better looking watch.

Having to spend five to ten thousand dollars just for a brand name on your wrist to impress others is pretty vulgar (and sad) in my opinion but each to their own.

How's about a car analogy, then? Same can be applied.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
How's about a car analogy, then? Same can be applied.
Don't think so.

While spending more money on a car doesn't guarantee you reliability, the driving experience (handling, ride, noise level, safety) does generally improve greatly the more you spend. In a 4x4, there is a huge difference between a Great Wall or a Toyota Hilux. Take them both off road and the difference is huge.

Now, If I could buy a $15,000 car that looked and drove exactly the same as a $100,000 car and it was only ever going to sit in my driveway to impress my neighbours I know which one I'd go for.

You may be paying for quality materials in a watch but really, considering what a watch does, can you really notice a difference other than the label looking back at you when you look at it?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

I notice you've been in the Photo Snob thread at the moment. Is $5000 - $10000 spent on camera equipment really worthwhile when you can capture an image with a humble phone these days? What's the purpose of taking high-quality photographs if not to show off to other people?

People love bling. It's a bizarre facet of human behaviour - how else can you explain why most folk can't recall Prime Ministers from 30 years ago yet all know of Tutankhamun?

You can deny it all you want but you've already betrayed yourself as a fan of material goods by discussing unnecessarily expensive image-capturing devices on a website devoted to unnecessarily expensive bicycles.

As for the price of clothes being a measure of durability? Have you ever seen the washing instructions on your average designer shirt?

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
You can deny it all you want but you've already betrayed yourself as a fan of material goods by discussing unnecessarily expensive image-capturing devices on a website devoted to unnecessarily expensive bicycles.
My camera earns me money. The iPhone is not an acceptable camera for what I do, and does not pass most broadcast standards. Operationally, my "expensive" camera is far more user friendly in the field than an iPhone. I can't change lenses on the iPhone for a start or easily plug a microphone into it and adjust the levels accordingly. Now, my "expensive" camera as you call it, gives me very similar picture quality to a $50,000 digital cinema camera but I can tell you that it cost less than 10% of that (body only). I did not choose it for its brand name or status and actually moved away from another more expensive but higher regarded brand because my current camera is technically better than the higher regarded one.

Now onto the expensive bikes we talk about on this website...... did I choose my bike based purely on a brand name to impress others? No.
I can tell a difference between the ride of a Kmart dually and my dually. My dually will last a lot longer than a Kmart bike on the terrain I ride. I sold my desirable 'boutique brand' bike a few years ago and bought a Giant Trance. I rode both and to be honest, preferred the Trance to the 'boutique' bike so I sold it.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
My camera earns me money. The iPhone is not an acceptable camera for what I do, and does not pass most broadcast standards. Operationally, my "expensive" camera is far more user friendly in the field than an iPhone. I can't change lenses on the iPhone for a start or easily plug a microphone into it and adjust the levels accordingly. Now, my "expensive" camera as you call it, gives me very similar picture quality to a $50,000 digital cinema camera but I can tell you that it cost less than 10% of that (body only). I did not choose it for its brand name or status and actually moved away from another more expensive but higher regarded brand because my current camera is technically better than the higher regarded one.
So people will pay you for an image? What the fucks up with that? Why on earth would people give up hard-earned cash for a picture of something. Makes no sense. Can you drive it or fly it? no you can only just look at it. Can't even tell the time with it...

:wink:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
So people will pay you for an image? What the fucks up with that? Why on earth would people give up hard-earned cash for a picture of something. Makes no sense. Can you drive it or fly it? no you can only just look at it. Can't even tell the time with it...

:wink:
They use the image (or video) in my case, to get a message across. It's a form of communication. Thankfully I get work based on my ability and work not based on what brand I flash on my wrist or hold in my hand.

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
all i'm seeing is justification as to why one overpriced object is better than another overpriced object because one is a someone's hobby/profession while he other is not.

i like cars, cameras, watches and bikes. this is why i have no money.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
They use the image (or video) in my case, to get a message across. It's a form of communication. Thankfully I get work based on my ability and work not based on what brand I flash on my wrist or hold in my hand.
Fancy watches and other assorted gaudy trinkets are a form of communication too. The message is usually "I have a lot of disposable income (or like to pretend I do), come mate with me!"

30,000 years of human evolution can't be wrong

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
all i'm seeing is justification as to why one overpriced object is better than another overpriced object because one is a someone's hobby/profession while he other is not.

i like cars, cameras, watches and bikes. this is why i have no money.
If comparing cameras to watches, my camera is a $300 watch that gives me pretty much the same quality as the $10,000 watch. In camera terms, mine is not expensive.

Last edited:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Fancy watches and other assorted gaudy trinkets are a form of communication too. The message is usually "I have a lot of disposable income (or like to pretend I do), come mate with me!"

30,000 years of human evolution can't be wrong
30,000 years of evolution is most definitely wrong.

Sorry, I don't need a big fancy watch to get the attention of the other sex. I just flip out my big...... :wink: