There is no allen key size on this planet for.....

Avid Elixir brake pad retaining pins. I think they are supposed to be 2.5mm, but there's just so much slack it's BEGGING for trouble!

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Buy a good quality 2.5

Have been caught out before with reasonable brand allen keys being a bit sloppy on the smaller sizes.

I had actually rounded a head off. Tried a good quality one and it fitted like new. Tolerances start getting very fine that small.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a 2.5. They're not meant to be done up that tight that you round heads. They have an e-clip for extra protection.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's 2.5 allen. Unless it's changed on current models? Mine are ELixir CR's, 2010 I think.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+ 1 for buying a decent set of allen keys, I recently did just that and could have kicked myself for not doing it years ago.(I like the type with one 'ball end' - for getting in there). Also if you have rounded out an allen head bolt, I have on occasion had luck with a torx bit for removal. Cheers and good luck :thumb:

moorey

call me Mia
Worst case scenario, considered ramming in an imperial? Like a 7/64? Not saying its the original sizing...just say'n is all...

I haven't quite tried every size on the planet but, yes, I've tried imperial to no avail. My old, second hand, Code 5's were so rounded out that I had to use a hacksaw and make them flat-screw!
Mine are CR 2010 aswell.
Torx sounds much more sensible. Part of what you pay for when you get codes I s'pose.

I also find with them that they have different bite point depending on the temperature. I don't blame the fluid, I think it's either the taperbore, or the 'C' - the contact point adjustment mechanism.

Toxicity

one of those boys your mother warned you about
its a 2.5mm...vernier and original key that comes when you buy new solved this..
altho it may have changed, i believe mine are 2011

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
its a 2.5mm...vernier and original key that comes when you buy new solved this..
altho it may have changed, i believe mine are 2011
Just checked on a mates set of current models and they are def 2.5mm.

Just remember they don't have to be done up tight at all, there is no load on that pin, plus they have the e-clip as well.

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Another vote for 2.5mm... but

According to the Avid doco they are 2.5mm, BUT, like you I thought they were a little wobbly.

The micrometer told the story; all my 2.5mm allen keys were more like 2.4mm :(
I'm not sure why, I have 3 different ones and they are all under size.

Eventually I found one that actually measured 2.5 in my multitool.
It is noticeably tighter than the undersize ones so they don't have to be too far out to feel wobbly.

I was also thinking that 1/10" (2.54mm) may be the real size but my only 1/10" measures 2.50mm

- carpetrunner

skell

Squid
According to the Avid doco they are 2.5mm, BUT, like you I thought they were a little wobbly.

I was also thinking that 1/10" (2.54mm) may be the real size but my only 1/10" measures 2.50mm

- carpetrunner
wow, 15 years of being a fitter and i've never heard of a 1/10" allen key

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight

The micrometer told the story; all my 2.5mm allen keys were more like 2.4mm :(
I'm not sure why, I have 3 different ones and they are all under size.

Eventually I found one that actually measured 2.5 in my multitool.
It is noticeably tighter than the undersize ones so they don't have to be too far out to feel wobbly.

- carpetrunner
It probably because your 1/10" is actually 2.5. Imperial doesnt work of 10ths, if you've ever looked at your imperial set, you'll notice its in halves, quaters, eighths, sixteenths... etc. ;)