Things the MTB industry does wrong

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm sitting in a hospital waiting room and reading various posts here and got me thinking about details the industry gets wrong in my opinion.

Not showing photos of all sizes of bike -

I always see the svelte lines of a Medium but does the bike look awkward in larger sizes? Especially important on a 650B bike.

Not speccing stronger components on larger bikes -

It stands to reason that an XL bike will be hosting a heavier rider so why not charge a bit more and spec stronger hubs and wheels for instance?

Minlak

custom titis
I'm sitting in a hospital waiting room and reading various posts here and got me thinking about details the industry gets wrong in my opinion.

Not showing photos of all sizes of bike -

I always see the svelte lines of a Medium but does the bike look awkward in larger sizes? Especially important on a 650B bike.

Not speccing stronger components on larger bikes -

It stands to reason that an XL bike will be hosting a heavier rider so why not charge a bit more and spec stronger hubs and wheels for instance?
Price - imagine the bigger Karen's if they had to pay more for their bike just because then need an XL

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Price - imagine the bigger Karen's if they had to pay more for their bike just because then need an XL
You mean like office chairs? There's plenty of extra costs because of height and weight. If there's a tangible advantage to paying more then I'd be all for it.

Minlak

custom titis
You mean like office chairs? There's plenty of extra costs because of height and weight. If there's a tangible advantage to paying more then I'd be all for it.
You say that from the point of view of someone who can appreciate the difference in spec and quality - and I am sure if they started doing it 5yrs from now it would be another thing of "That's just how it is" and no one will question it - Like no pedals - or tubeless ready and not actually tubeless.
The majority of people will just see it as a price gouge for being taller

Minlak

custom titis
Was going to edit but decided two replies - also technically you buy a model of chair for "$X" and if you want a chair for the more portly gentleman / lady you buy "$Y" model - I personally have never seen exactly the same model of chair offered in multiple weight limits

Minlak

custom titis
Telling us what we need...rarely asking us what we want.
Impossible - imagine trying to get a agreement on that - we don't need 29" - we don't need 27.5" - we don't need more than 26" - I say the majority of people are unable to effectively determine what they want or need for themselves

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not giving me test bikes to ride is a pretty big flaw... :)

Agree that a few more colour options wouldn't hurt for mid-range models.
Super-boost and other 'odd' standards that impact on cross-compatibility shit me, as do proprietary parts. I understand that they want to lock customers in to their brand, but having components with ease of use across a fleet of bikes seems like a way to sell more, not less...

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting question.
As a card carrying Clyde 1.93m / 100kgs I find XL sized bikes are generally a joke. Seldom do the brands get fit, geo and spec right.

The new colours each year is just stupid.
Warranty that's not transferrable.
XT models where the only thing XT is a minor element like the derailleur. That one's for you Pivot.
Limited chances to try big ticket items. Forks, shocks and wheels are generally expensive when one goes top end. Almost no chance of demo'ing them prior to purchase.

The list goes on...

Minlak

custom titis
Non-transferable warranty on new bikes is another.
Yeah that's just bullshit and have always wondered why that is a thing - with proof of original purchase the warranty should still be there - might help with stolen bikes too - Its not just bikes either heaps of manufacture's claim this exeption.