Things the MTB industry does wrong

moorey

call me Mia
Impossible - imagine trying to get a agreement on that - we don't need 29" - we don't need 27.5" - we don't need more than 26" - I say the majority of people are unable to effectively determine what they want or need for themselves
Maybe so, but it’s marketing and sales driven, not rider driven.
100x15mm axle was a pointless joke. 20x110 way better.
142x12 was pointless. So is boost. 150x12 was perfectly fine.
Press fit is moronic.
256764 seat tube sizes is moronic.
35mm bars are pointless.
I could go on. No improvement, only grief and expense for the user.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Maybe so, but it’s marketing and sales driven, not rider driven.
100x15mm axle was a pointless joke. 20x110 way better.
142x12 was pointless. So is boost. 150x12 was perfectly fine.
Press fit is moronic.
256764 seat tube sizes is moronic.
35mm bars are pointless.
I could go on. No improvement, only grief and expense for the user.
One tapered tube size, even for entry level bikes.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
imagine trying to get a agreement on that - we don't need 29" - we don't need 27.5" - we don't need more than 26" - I say the majority of people are unable to effectively determine what they want or need for themselves
I actually don't mind wheel sizes. We have bikes in different sizes so why not wheels. As per OPs original comment, bike proportions change when the sizes change. They sort of do that now with 29/27.5 for different sizes already.

I'm going to add geoblocking to the list. Does nothing but make people angry.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
The LBS shouldn't be run like a car dealership.
Marketing (and maybe working in the industry for a number of years) almost killed my love of cycling.
And @Calvin27, agree on geoblocking. Frustrating.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
35mm bars are the fkn worst. And any BB/cassette/hub that needs a proprietary tool to adjust or remove.

Oh, and XD and microspline hub drivers. I get that the old HG driver needed an update but at least have one new driver type. Both S companies are cnts for that.

moorey

call me Mia
35mm bars are the fkn worst. And any BB/cassette/hub that needs a proprietary tool to adjust or remove.

Oh, and XD and microspline hub drivers. I get that the old HG driver needed an update but at least have one new driver type. Both S companies are cnts for that.
HG absolutely needed an update...just wish we could stick to one. I’m a fan of XD....aside from the numerous bikes I’m still running 10sp.
Also, can you SS an XD?

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I'm going to add geoblocking to the list. Does nothing but make people angry.
So angry. It'd be fine if I could buy all the stuff in Australia, but I can't.

Sole distributors would be another pet peeve (if that's the right terminology). Used to be a day when I could go to a bike shop and check out different brands, have some choice in accessories. Now I have to make a choice of the Giant store, or the Trek store, or the shit one with shitty bikes.

I wanted a torque wrench from one a while back, all I could chose from was Giant, Giant or Giant. And it didn't meet my needs (but the owner told me it did despite my protestations). It's not a wonder I go online to buy all my stuff, at least I can chose what I want that way.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
HG absolutely needed an update...just wish we could stick to one. I’m a fan of XD....aside from the numerous bikes I’m still running 10sp.
Also, can you SS an XD?
Problem solvers make an awesome little product that does just this, also means that you don't munch your soft alloy driver body which was always my biggest pet hate with the splined drivers.