Thinking of giving a gravel bike a crack

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I don't know if this matters but would the flared drops of a gravel bike be ok for your shoulder?

cammas

Seamstress
How tall are you @johnny this popped up on marketplace

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I don't have FB (will have to get wife's PW), where is it located?

I am about 180, I Think. what's the price on it?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Located Nowra, owner is 179cm, max tire is 38c and priced at $2650... and it's titanium

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Located CBR, size 58cm, might be a stretch so would need to try, max tire size 38c, Trek's isospeed dampening front and rear, Price $2750 down from $3400

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Other end of the spectrum. Older Kona sutra. Brooks, Bar end shifters. But only 900 clams.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I think drop bars will be better. It's not the drop but the thinner width and that the thumbs are forward that help with me. I am also on the assumption at that the thinner bars will have me a little more upright with less weight on my hands than as with the experience on modern MTB geo/wide bars. I have to test ride one to test that assumption though.
A narrow flat (or low-rise if appropriate) bar with sticky-uppy bar-ends (remember those things from years ago?) might work for you too - all other things being equal, a narrower bar will put you more upright (and back) than a wider one, it's basic triangulation. The fitting of bar-ends will enable that more natural palms-inward (aka thumbs up/forward) hand posture.

cammas

Seamstress
What about this one, fits the budget ;), nice stack which will help your shoulder, some decent width rims and even has a dropper post for when you want to get rad on it or like me when stopping at intersections.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
When I was considering a Gravel bike back in covid, I settled on a Norco Search for best value... now they are 40%.
This is the one if budget is the absolute limiter

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
What about this one, fits the budget ;), nice stack which will help your shoulder, some decent width rims and even has a dropper post for when you want to get rad on it or like me when stopping at intersections.

Had a polygon. Spend most of my time trying to keep the stock wheels rolling straight , then the frame cracked . 3 months of bikes online stuffing around and I ordered the norco search in the meantime .

Edit - the polygon I had was a Strattos , so not a gravel bike . But it was clear to me where they were saving money , and it was the frame and in house parts .

The norco frame is solid and smooth . Stock Wheels are heavy but dependable.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The good thing about gravel is they use the 142mm standard so past wheelsets come back to life. Old XC wheels go well on a modern GG.
It's probably my biggest annoyance with gravel bikes - that they went 12x100mm front axle and ended up throwing another hub "standard" in the mix. If they'd gone 15x100 front and 142x12 rear it would've been mint.