Thoughts on Australia holding the soccer World Cup

L14M

Likes Bikes
Hey everyone,

Australia has put interest in to host a soccer world cup in 2014 or 2018 but the NRL and AFL bosses arn't happy because it will take Fields and put their seasons on hold for a few months.

I think that these two codes are being selfish, The World Cup will bring so much to Australia not only being the money from all of the visitors but also heaps of publicity as well.

So I just want to know what RB has to say about it. - Should the NRL and AFL step aside to have the world cup proceed?

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
awesome

i reckon it would be an awesome thing but as much as it is good we have to still keep our tradition in our other sports as of dates of games and all that stuff

I saw something on the news about this last night. A lot, almost all of the AFL and NRL governing bodies are kicking up a fuss about it however, I did see a short interview with a NRL player. He said that having the world cup here in Australia would be more valuable than a season of footy, and I would have to agree with him. I follow AFL, not extremely closely but I'm a fan, probably more so than I am a fan of soccer and yet I would love to see the world cup hosted here. It's much like hosting the Olympics and would boost the economy and publicity of Australia. Soccer is the world game and if Australia wants to continue to make itself known to everyone on this globe then we should try our hardest to get them here. Hell, it would mean we don't have to keep asking "where the bloody hell are ya?"

frostbite

Likes Dirt
We'd be inundated with british football hooligans. In the interests of public safety we should ban any brits from stepping onto our fair shores.

On second thought we should do this anyway.

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
How clever are all the facebook groups... "One season of AFL is much more important than the Soccer World Cup" :rolleyes: etc

C^nts are F^cked

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I saw something on the news about this last night. A lot, almost all of the AFL and NRL governing bodies are kicking up a fuss about it however, I did see a short interview with a NRL player. He said that having the world cup here in Australia would be more valuable than a season of footy, and I would have to agree with him. I follow AFL, not extremely closely but I'm a fan, probably more so than I am a fan of soccer and yet I would love to see the world cup hosted here. It's much like hosting the Olympics and would boost the economy and publicity of Australia. Soccer is the world game and if Australia wants to continue to make itself known to everyone on this globe then we should try our hardest to get them here. Hell, it would mean we don't have to keep asking "where the bloody hell are ya?"
^ What he said. The AFL and NRL Governing bodies haven't been very helpful about the whole thing (From what i've seen in the media), they've just been against the whole idea from day one, not even really wanting to compromise wheres they could've probably found some good benefits out of it. They should've just made that new soccer stadium that's currently being but (completely forgot its name) the 9000 seats bigger. (It'll be able to seat 31,000 people, i believe they need a 40,000 seat stadium to be able to have the soccer there, for memory) ... or homebush stadium.

Hosting the World Cup would be as Pete said, a boost to the Australian economy and for the publicity of Aus, and with the AFL trying to go more "global" in recent years it would be a fair decent chance for the sport itself to get world wide publicity.

Even though i still think, with soccer not even being the prominent sport over here ... a European country is probably a lot more deserving of being the host nation :rolleyes:

Last edited:

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
im excited, nothing is more awesome than watching your team get beaten on home soil...

still it will be good for the economy, blah blah blah... And with the abundance of other venues (olympic stadiums at homebush, telstra dome or whatever its called now) im not sure how the other codes can be that outraged. Sure there will be less spectators, but the world cup isnt a year long event, a couple of months out of the whole year....

its the result of thinking with your wallet and not with your head...

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Even though i still think, with soccer not even being the prominent sport over here ... a European country is probably a lot more deserving of being the host nation :rolleyes:
Not professionally, but football (soccer) thrashes all other codes in participation rates. If it could only be converted to larger crowds and budgets for the A-League teams. If we got the world cup, the A-League would double in crowds and interest.

tc2233

Likes Dirt
I dont see how misssing a season of afl and nrl is that bigger deal. Wouldnt they be more happy as it would create newer, bigger and better stadiums which they would be able to use after the world cup is over. If they are that disapointed about missing a season of NRL and AFL they could always start the footy season earlier to make up for the few rounds that they would miss.

emcgough

Likes Dirt
Hey everyone,

Australia has put interest in to host a soccer world cup in 2014 or 2018 but the NRL and AFL bosses arn't happy because it will take Fields and put their seasons on hold for a few months.

I think that these two codes are being selfish, The World Cup will bring so much to Australia not only being the money from all of the visitors but also heaps of publicity as well.

So I just want to know what RB has to say about it. - Should the NRL and AFL step aside to have the world cup proceed?
how are the two codes being "selfish"? What an outrageous concept, to simply cease operation of the whole AFL and NRL, because some round ball fool tells you to. Why can't they just run the world cup at the same time? It's FIFA who are being selfish, nobody else.

Not professionally, but football (soccer) thrashes all other codes in participation rates. If it could only be converted to larger crowds and budgets for the A-League teams. If we got the world cup, the A-League would double in crowds and interest.
This couldn't be more true. I remember after Germany in 06 we were playing Soccer at school instead of footy. We were obsessed with it. That whole year Soccer seemed so much better, maybe this is what Australia needs. We are trying to present ourselves as a sporting nation and yet we are arguing about hosting the Soccer World Cup. If it was cricket it wouldn't get a second thought. It would also publicise the A-League on a global scale. Everyone in the world knows about the English Premier League but no one knows about the A-League. We might even get people from strong soccer following nations to our shores to see what we have to offer.

Ivan

Eats Squid
The AFL and NRL are business's. Of course they are upset about the idea. The WC in AUS would most definately impact on their profits.

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
I think that we should trade in our rep points achieved if we do get the world cup for soccer, to the ARU and onto the deciding committee for the rugby union world cup.

Could not stand even more kids telling me that soccer is a "pure" sport and rugby is for brutes who want to show-off their masculinity.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I'm kinda pleased that the NRL and AFL have their panties in a twist.:D They are acting like a pair of spoilt kids. Very scared they will loose their advertising dollars for that year, or worse still, the crowds that would normally be going to the footy will be going to soccer instead.

I Say, bring on the World Cup!:D

emcgough

Likes Dirt
I'm kinda pleased that the NRL and AFL have their panties in a twist.:D They are acting like a pair of spoilt kids. Very scared they will loose their advertising dollars for that year, or worse still, the crowds that would normally be going to the footy will be going to soccer instead.

I Say, bring on the World Cup!:D
Spoiled kids or organizations who stand to lose considerable cash because of ludicrous and unfair limitations being placed on them. It's like safeway and coles being told it's illegal to open their stores for x amount of time because walmart is coming into Australia and they don't want any competition. Sounds really fair...

scrubzy

Squid
I hope it's 2014 because thats my highschool graduation year.
Also it would really boost the A-league and Australia's reputation in the sport, it'd also be REALLY good for the economy :D

.Luke.

Likes Dirt
The AFL can't afford to cancel an entire season. Some clubs are under financial pressure and couldn't cope with a year of nothing. So basically a soccer world cup would really stuff up the AFL big time, I also imagine this would be the case with the NRL aswell.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I wouldn't worry too much. AFL and NRL will kick up a bit of a stink till they get their slice of the pie to make them shut up (new stadiums etc) and then they'll just work their seasons around the event and everyone will be happy.

I hope it goes ahead. Would be awesome.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Spoiled kids or organizations who stand to lose considerable cash because of ludicrous and unfair limitations being placed on them. It's like safeway and coles being told it's illegal to open their stores for x amount of time because walmart is coming into Australia and they don't want any competition. Sounds really fair...
I agree ... as fantastic as it would be to have the World cup over here ... why the hell do they need to shut all other codes down ... friggin let them compete ... is FIFA that nervous about competition against the NRL and AFL that it thinks its brand (the World Cup ... FFS) would suffer. Silly power games IMO ... and whats worse, every man and his dog in Politics and the Business of Football in Aus will bend over backwards and take in up the ... wherever you take these things ... to get the event staged here. Shows poor value for our culture and life styles ... which predominantly revolves around sport and out door activities.

Not withstanding, I reckon the relevant local codes should bleed the FIFA machine as much as possible by sub-letting their facilities and extracting whatever they can get out of it.

On to other things ... read in the weekend papers that 2022 is the more likely date, depending on whether a European venue gets 2014/18.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Regardless of cash incentives, it isn't an unreasonable expectation to pause all major sporting events for the biggest sport in the world...for a short period of time. For many many countries, it is a very important game, and the World Cup really tops it off.

Personally, I don't give the slightest about NRL, Union or AFL...never have watched it, and never will.

But I would happily put many things aside to watch a World Cup game. I find that much more entertaining.