Thoughts on Australia holding the soccer World Cup

emcgough

Likes Dirt
Regardless of cash incentives, it isn't an unreasonable expectation to pause all major sporting events for the biggest sport in the world...for a short period of time. For many many countries, it is a very important game, and the World Cup really tops it off.

Personally, I don't give the slightest about NRL, Union or AFL...never have watched it, and never will.

But I would happily put many things aside to watch a World Cup game. I find that much more entertaining.
Ok well you say it's not unreasonable to pause all other sporting events, and I think it's absolutely insane beyond any doubt. Why is it necessary? And how in any way, is it fair?

Like nerf said above, it's the world cup ffs. They will have enormous interest and success regardless of ANY other event which is on at the same time. It really makes no sense.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
I hope it's 2014 because thats my highschool graduation year.
Also it would really boost the A-league and Australia's reputation in the sport, it'd also be REALLY good for the economy :D
It'll be later than 2014- Brazil's already got that one. See more below.

The AFL can't afford to cancel an entire season. Some clubs are under financial pressure and couldn't cope with a year of nothing. So basically a soccer world cup would really stuff up the AFL big time, I also imagine this would be the case with the NRL aswell.
If the government will fork out several new stadiums/upgrades at >$150million each, I'm certain they'll be able to keep a few footy clubs afloat for a couple of months while it's all happening. They hardly need to shut down the competitions, but the grounds used will require construction/renovation, and will be prepared a couple of months in advance- I think the figure I read was April or so.

On to other things ... read in the weekend papers that 2022 is the more likely date, depending on whether a European venue gets 2014/18.
Truth- like I said, Brazil 2014, then probably Europe again, as it will have been two in a row in the Southern hemisphere (RSA next year). Still, hoping for 2018 just the same, will be awesome!