Thoughts on Stan's 3.30 hubs

speshboy

Likes Bikes
Still on the look out for new wheels. Settled for Stan's Crest rim but unsure on the hubs. Choice is between the Stans hub or Hope pro 2 evos.

Anyone have experience with the stock Stan's 3.30 hubs?

Can anyone confirm their points of engagement compared to a Hope Pro 2 Evo? They seem lighter than Hope Pro 2 Evos.

speshboy

Likes Bikes
Looks like I answered my own question

Stan's is 3 pawl, 30 point engagement

Hopes is 4 pawl, 24 point engagement

So with these stats, would I be able to feel the difference between the two? With more points of engagement, should the Stan's feel more responsive? How does the extra pawl affect things? Would it make the hope more reliable?

Thanks

redbruce

Eats Squid
So with these stats, would I be able to feel the difference between the two? With more points of engagement, should the Stan's feel more responsive? How does the extra pawl affect things? Would it make the hope more reliable?

Thanks
You wont notice the extra engagement of 30 points over 24 in operation (only 3 degrees difference at the cassette - even less at the crank).

In theory an extra pawl increases the load capacity of the freehub but many factors (design of teeth, materials, angle of action, spring tension, maintenance, etc) can have a greater effect.

What is parts availablity like for them?

wotsis

Likes Dirt
There's a huge difference in terms of noise, if that is important to you. Hopes make the loudest hubs out there. Stans are middle of the pack in terms of loudness.

speshboy

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the opinions. Not sure on availability of spare parts in Oz. Hope parts seem more readily available in the UK. Do they have a local importer here? Stan's have a local importer so hopefully can get parts thru the LBS. I'm thinking of going with the stock Stan's Crest wheelset with the stans hubs. I can get both sets at the same price but the Stan's I can get locally where as the Hopes would be from overseas.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've owned both. The actual design of the hubs are almost identical. 3.30 hubs have very similar interchangeability of axles as hope. Hopes are HEAPS louder. The difference in engagement is negligible I felt.

Both have distributors in Australia. Hopes are quite a lot more expensive locally than overseas. Stans are reasonably competitive.

If you like loud hubs, pick hope. Otherwise pick whatever is cheaper I reckon.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
My research on mtbr gave the impression that stans were lighter and more likely to fail, both at the spoke holes and also the axle. Seem to be actually novatec hubs

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whilst I don't know a great deal about them, I reckon the Stan's hubs look like the older American Classic hubs.

will20b

Squid
Anyone have experience with the stock Stan's 3.30

I had/have a set of Arch 29er wheels with 3.30 hubs. I built up a new pair of wheels using King hubs with Arch rims after my experience with them. In 6 months I had the cassette body bearing fail twice, needed a replacement skewer and also had to put in a new pawl kit because one off the springs broke in half. Granted I'm quite heavy at 90kg but in my opinion the bearing that keeps failing isn't big enough to support the load through the cassette.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I had/have a set of Arch 29er wheels with 3.30 hubs. I built up a new pair of wheels using King hubs with Arch rims after my experience with them. In 6 months I had the cassette body bearing fail twice, needed a replacement skewer and also had to put in a new pawl kit because one off the springs broke in half. Granted I'm quite heavy at 90kg but in my opinion the bearing that keeps failing isn't big enough to support the load through the cassette.
I think this is the general consensus. Stans are lighter, hope pro 2 s are louder, more bulletproof , easiest to fix and heavier

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
There's a huge difference in terms of noise, if that is important to you. Hopes make the loudest hubs out there. Stans are middle of the pack in terms of loudness.
Less engagement points = More sweet, sweet, noise. :horn:

floody

Wheel size expert
Stans 3.3 are Chosen hubs.
This is interesting. I can't find any pics of a 12x142 Chosen hub, but I can say the Stans 142x12 end caps and axle look identical in every way to my ????? OEM 142x12 hub in my Avanti coppermine, and the shape of the hubshell/bell/flanges of my hub is spot on for the XC Chosen hubs (like this). I'd been toying with buying a complete stans wheelset until I noticed the stans hub parts looked the same as the operational bits in my current ones. It would be nice to know what I have as Avanti haven't documented the spec very well.

Obviously I'd be stoked if they turned out to be essentially the same as I need two new rims and would be quite happy to get out of it for the cost of rims+spokes+build!

Last edited:

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Interesting reads... given I just bought a flow EX wheelset to play on.

Can't help the OP with riding experience yet - but one of the reasons I dropped $$ on a stans wheelset (flow EX, 3.30 hubs) is that spare parts (including steel cassette carriers) seem to be readily available. At 90kg, freehub body cheeseness is a bit of a concern.. got a ghetto cassette carrier reinforcement to try out (based on the thread here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54146&hilit=staples) but at the end of the day at least I know its probabluy going to get chewed, and I can replace it with a steel one.

Just messing around with them and having a peek inside they seem on par with the ringle & fulcrum & fire eye hubs I've abused in the past. roll well, nice and simple.

...and I can't get over how crazy light the wheels are, for a 29mm rim... looking forward to playtime on them for sure!

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Massive grave dig must be 2 metres deep.
My dear wife has Stans rims and rear hub and the freehub is knackered pawls worn falling out and slipping .
Its been to the lbs.
I must say I am now a Stans hater , as I hate fitting tubeless tyres to the rims.
There doesnt seem to be any ready replacement ?
Any suggestions throw it away and start again with something like Hope ?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Massive grave dig must be 2 metres deep.
My dear wife has Stans rims and rear hub and the freehub is knackered pawls worn falling out and slipping .
Its been to the lbs.
I must say I am now a Stans hater , as I hate fitting tubeless tyres to the rims.
There doesnt seem to be any ready replacement ?
Any suggestions throw it away and start again with something like Hope ?
I'm currently looking at a set of these. Have a pair of their carbon gravel wheels and they have been excellent for the price.
https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/colle...unt-xcwide-mtb-wheelset?variant=8142256898146