Thoughts on You Yangs VDHS

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
My thoughs,
Unnecessarily dangerous.
Yes your not suppose to crash but its does happen and in my opinion that hasn't been taking into consideration when building the track.

This is the reason why i didnt race

Brownlie

Likes Bikes
Definitely one of the more intense tracks I've ridden. I really enjoyed it besides the part when I smashed my face on a rock in qualifying.

DAMN IT!!

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
I had a blast on most of the track! definitely a track of confidence more than anything.

quick shuttles, well organized (except for the rain and the injury that some poor dude had) and a fun track. Thanks to the YYMC and all the volunteers for an awesome weekend for most.

there is one part of the track I really dislike... (This is a bias opinion anyway as I really struggled with this part of the track) Is that little a-line just before the big Huck leading into the water bars. Its a off camber rock slab little thing with a little rock at the landing. anyone else witness my crash there.. and you will know why I don't like it.

other than that its a pretty sick track with nice flowy jumps combined with a few rough sections:)

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First of all a congratulations on the first event held by YYMTB Club. Everything was awesome except the uncharged radios ;)
Hope kevin's ok and isn't in a too bad way. Good luck on a smooth recovery if you read this.

And Yes I did get 2:26.

I'll agree that is a bit too dangerous. For example the rocks on the side of the track that sitting there waiting for someone to hit them..... Is there a reason for them apart from showing where the track is?

felixmtb

Likes Dirt
And which rocks are in stupid places? I'd suggest again, that they are there to make lines slower, to push people to try the faster lines.
At the bottom of the rock drop near the overpass jump, and where there is a high line and a low line, I crashed twice, hard, on the low line because of the rocks at the bottom.
It' hard to explain...

patto_15

Wheel size expert
found the rocks in the ground before the drop thats just before the "westgate" jump. theres the little boulder roll over, found its a bit of a hard pedal into that, maybe it was the wind blowing straight into you at that point.

Also the berm before the double rock drop thing, about 1/4 of the way down, points you towards the B-Line instead of the A. which makes you have to put a pedal or two in to carry decent speed through the rock drop, instead of having a bit more of an end to that berm to shoot you up there.
Do you think tracks should be made easy??

My thoughs,
Unnecessarily dangerous.
Yes your not suppose to crash but its does happen and in my opinion that hasn't been taking into consideration when building the track.

I don't think it was dangerous at all.. The gaps were all easy, and the b lines were sufficient. I don't think there was anything hard about the track really at all, or even remotely 'dangerous' (when taking into account all the other you yangs tracks and other tracks like Buller / Barjarg..)

jmurphy

Likes Dirt
track really was awesome.. sick effort from the youies boys.. i now look forward to going there to race.. jumps were amazing and the crew out at mt taylor could take a leaf out of your books on how to build good race jumps....

see everyone at long gully for presentation day

James

.Luke.

Likes Dirt
My thoughs,
Unnecessarily dangerous.

My thoughts exactly, you're asking for trouble when you have big pointy rocks lining the track.
Great track though.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Patto has it right, it's not unnecessarily dangerous at all, anything that does pose significant risk has a much safer easier line available, if you're not confident/good enough to hit the A-line, opt for the B-Line.

It is a track that favours the brave, the high line drop into the rock garden, gapping the rock garden, the step down, and the huck before the westgate bridge... They're all pretty big, and you need balls to do them. But isn't that the idea? The good riders will do them, and as a result will get better times than those who don't.

PS: Patto it was good to meet you, I was having a chat with you about the track at the food tent when the presentations were on. Congrats on a solid return to downhill dude, pretty impressive!

woody 14

Eats Squid
over all it was a amazing event and a mint track to ride.

just a few things though, first that last jump, that up ramp is way too steep and kicky for that speed you are pulling into that, second those big pointy rocks that are sitting in the middle of the track after the blind step down i feel should be taken out. they have no purpuse but there to take out you rim. they dont make that track harder just slower and annoying.

other then that it was sick. really enjoyed it. bring on next year.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Patto has it right, it's not unnecessarily dangerous at all, anything that does pose significant risk has a much safer easier line available, if you're not confident/good enough to hit the A-line, opt for the B-Line.

It is a track that favours the brave, the high line drop into the rock garden, gapping the rock garden, the step down, and the huck before the westgate bridge... They're all pretty big, and you need balls to do them. But isn't that the idea? The good riders will do them, and as a result will get better times than those who don't.

PS: Patto it was good to meet you, I was having a chat with you about the track at the food tent when the presentations were on. Congrats on a solid return to downhill dude, pretty impressive!
Exactly! If anyone was worried and struggling with a certain line, why the hell are they hitting it? If you were hitting a certain rock all the time? Change you line through that section! The rocks aren't going to be jumping around and trying to be in the same place you land all the time. =S

I think if those little rocks weren't there, that track would be simple easy. They were the only things i was having trouble with on the course, and taking them away would make the track seem stupid easy and gay (for a race track)
Was good talking to you mate ;)

Shredden

Knows his goats
The event as a whole was awesome, I thoughrougly (sp?) enjoyed it, even though I had my worst race run ever I still enjoyed it!