Thredbo - all you need to know

JohnnySellar

Cannon Fodder
Just wondering. Does anybody do bus trips to Thredbo in the summer in a similar vein to what they do in the winter? Catch a bus Thursday night and come home Sunday night/Monday?? Anybody had any experience with this. Note: leaving from Adelaide. :)

Cheers

Matty1

Likes Bikes
[video=youtube;HWeq-PuKErQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWeq-PuKErQ[/video]

Trailing a friend who gets a flat, then I have some rookie crashes. Just a fun ride down however when all stopping, crashing and lazing around is considered it's not a bad run. 4.2km track, 600m vertical decent

higgin_d

Likes Dirt
Nope.....19-20 Nov.
Sweet... opening 19-20 Nov

Does that mean that South East MTB will have completed any changes / fixes before that date, and the course is tip top for that week end. i'm hanging to get down there....

Is there any changes to the run(s) this year ?

Last edited:

Dazzo

Likes Dirt
Don't forget that usually for the first two weeks of the season the Kos. express chairlift is usually closed for service, relagating you to the ever so slow, snow gums. Also, snow gums doesn't go all the way to the top and you miss the fire road, which is a hoot. Give them a call to find out when the Kos. express chairlift is back in operation.

mijango

Squid
Yeah.. I was down at thredbo last summer over christmas time and the trail was busy, but was awesome. I really pushed the izumi and it just kept wanting more :single_eye:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Sweet... opening 19-20 Nov

Does that mean that South East MTB will have completed any changes / fixes before that date, and the course is tip top for that week end. i'm hanging to get down there....

Is there any changes to the run(s) this year ?
There will be some changes. Hopefully jumps, well defiantly jumps but not sure how many, and some new B lines. Hopefully get the A lines a bit more Angry where there's B lines.
Keep your eye on S.E.MTB website or Face Book page for updates.

buffy

Likes Dirt
keen to get down there this year. i just bought a new giant reign 2, will this bike be capable or should i hire a full dh rig?

T-Rex

Template denier
keen to get down there this year. i just bought a new giant reign 2, will this bike be capable or should i hire a full dh rig?
IMO Thredbo is one of the tracks where 8 inches is genuinely very useful, as it's a long track and reasonably rough. That said, it depends on how you ride. Give it a go, and if you are uncomfortable, go hire a DH rig, they have a pretty impressive range on offer this year.

The recommendations I would make is to ensure you have a decent chain guide on your Reign, and dual ply tyres if you are running tubes.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IMO Thredbo is one of the tracks where 8 inches is genuinely very useful, as it's a long track and reasonably rough. That said, it depends on how you ride. Give it a go, and if you are uncomfortable, go hire a DH rig, they have a pretty impressive range on offer this year.

The recommendations I would make is to ensure you have a decent chain guide on your Reign, and dual ply tyres if you are running tubes.
that. i wouldnt attempt it on a reign unless u had a guide and dh tyres. keep a tool kit in the car too, things always break or come loose at thredders!

T-Rex

Template denier
well i just bought a new 2012 kona operator so we'll see how that goes down there ey :)

I can tell you now - a lot better than your Reign.

Last year, or maybe the year before, Kona DH bikes were shipping with single ply tyres, I don't know if this is still the case, but if it is, you should change them to double plys as I mentioned earlier.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
GOING TO BE A AWSOME SEASON AT THREDDERS!
STH EAST MTB will have Kona, Trek, GT, Zerode, Mongoose, and probably more DH rental bikes this year. So good way to test bikes you're keen on.
Lots of great track upgrades so far. A few little hip jump lines, some nice new burms, a new step down at the bottom, and a nice 10.7meter(35foot)long table top with a 10 meter down-ramp on the fastest part of the track.

More pics on Crankins FB page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Crankin/241698995840192 or log onto STH EAST MTB cos site http://www.mountainbiking.com.au/ next week and there should be some better pics, and hopefully some rider cam footage soon.

Last edited: