Thredbo - all you need to know

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Originally Posted by 13677meelo
an awsome track for jumps n drops!

I hope your joking.

The lack of jumps and drops at thredbo has always been a real critism.
haha beat me to it! there isnt a single drop or jump there....

Dougy

Likes Dirt
From top to bottom
Fireroad waterbars - you can absolutely launch off these.

Stumpjump - Just into the single track is a small rock garden, if you hit the root on the left you can hip over the rocks.

Tree Double - more of a tabletop than a double to make it safer but still a fun little hit.

Pallets - After Snakes and Ladders, which has lots of little hits/drops if you are going fast enough there are two pallets. You can boost off the second pallet and get quite good air.

Small drop - After the pallets you wind through a few open corners and come across a couple of pallets in the track you can launch off the top and land in the corner.

Step-down - Thirty meters from the small drop is a fun little step-down. You hit the top root and, if you are going fast enough clear two steps and land in the corner.

Gap jump - After the long fast traverse and before the Bunny Walk trees there is a wooden ski-type kicker with about a 15 foot gap.

Rock jump - Next to the gap jump is a rock you can boost off and hip back onto the track.

Bunny Walk Drop - Towards to bottom of Bunny Walk is a three foot drop, you can roll down it but if you've got the skills you drop and then hit the corner.

Small kicker - Just after the Magnetic Rock trees, and directly under the chair lift is a small kicker that when hit fast can give you a good 20 feet.

Hip into the corner - Just after the small kicker hit the rock on the right and hip over into the corner. Land, drift, PEDAL!!!

After the Rapids as you come out of the trees there's another small ski type kicker.

Finish Drop - Punch it out of the trees before the finish.

Wall Ride - After the finish drop.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for that long list of crappy want to be drops and jumps.

Yes I have the skills and can ride the thredbo track in under 7 minutes so I know it well.

But all the "jumps and drops" you just listed except for 1 are more natural than man made. There crap and very very boaring.

Ok the 2 or 3 water bar launchs on the top fire road are fun, but nothing special.

Take a look at tripple threat at the new stromlo track in canberra. There is a huge floater and then two big doubles all in a row. Now if your not a good rider then you wont be hitting these and would have to take the B line which takes longer. This is the case with most good DH tracks.

The next race of the NSW series is at Coffs Harbour. Your not even on the track for 30 seconds when your faced with a 20 foot double.

Thredbo just doesnt compare.

Most people that believe that there are good jumps and drops at threbo are just starting out in the sport and arnt that fast yet.

Most people that are quick and ride threbo alot want proper jumps, doubles and drops put in.

Samy

Likes Dirt
Thredbo is around 3 hours south of Canberra - in the snowy mountains.

Roughly 6km downhill runs with charirlift assisit. I lived there for 3 years and it remains my favourite place in the world (that I have been/lived). Friendly and fun.

Best winter snow resort also. Actually, best alpine resort in Oz.

www.thredbo.com.au

Dug

Likes Dirt
Mind made up

Well I was wondering where to take a break this summer. Thanks for the rundown on Thredbo and the cannonball. I'm so there. Have you had anything to do with the week long training camps they hold every so often. Eg worth it or just go for the run..
Cheers:eek:

Samy

Likes Dirt
I'd probably just go for the runs.... Go in a busy time when its busy and you should find some quick people up there to learn some lines from. Alternatively go in a quiet time and do some runs with one of the guides. They all should be riding the hill day in day out and will know the good lines also.

Either way you are guarenteed to have a ball in Thredbo - both on and off the bike.

Dug

Likes Dirt
Well I'm all booked in Nice hotel at the bottom of the lift. Downhill slope to the lift, initiation for the cannonball, 2 half days of private tuition, 4 days of lift tickets :Dand unlimited access to the sauna. Life just don't get much better..... But I got to wait untill February but it's a slower time and I will follow the instructors..... for the first 50 yards untill I loose sight.....

Thanks for the rundown great work on the post..:D :D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Accomodation

Guys

any recommendations for accomodation at Thredbo? There will be about 5 of us going down

Thanks

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Guys

any recommendations for accomodation at Thredbo? There will be about 5 of us going down

Thanks
Thredbo Alpine Apartments have the best location and aren't too expensive, otherwise everywhere else will be a walk. Riverside cabins are great for the serenity, Snowman and Squatters run if you've got cash to burn. When are you guys going down?

DIRT ROCKS N TREES

Likes Bikes
5 or more is good, for accomadation look at 3 to 4 bedroom chalets at thredbo accomadation around 250 to 300 a night between 5 isnt much, plus your in a place that you can spread out not cramped in a twin share block of units i know i go anually for alot of years now ;)