Thredbo - all you need to know

demo man

Used to be cool.
the logistiocs of running national championshps is certainly crazy, but with full-time employees working on it (as opposed to volunteers at all the others) i'm sure they could manage it.

but they wouldn't make as much money....would they?!

the track will be changed by the end of this weekend, i am going up there this weekend to build it!
should be very, very fgood....!

Frazzle

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that, It's my first year at interschools and it looks to be sweet, i usually just muck around on local tracks so this is like my first actual race so thanks for this! (P.s Long post mate)

S.

ex offender
demo man said:
the logistiocs of running national championshps is certainly crazy, but with full-time employees working on it (as opposed to volunteers at all the others) i'm sure they could manage it.

but they wouldn't make as much money....would they?!

the track will be changed by the end of this weekend, i am going up there this weekend to build it!
should be very, very fgood....!
When you multiply (on average) 3 days riding at roughly $50/day (well it's $145 for 3 days), by say 300 riders... that's about $45,000 gross they'll bring in over that 3 days. Yeah some of it has to go to the lift company and obviously a fair bit to their expenditures, but let's not kid ourselves - there is a fair bit of dosh being chucked around here. They also hire out bikes and sell spares on top of this. Oh and then there's the XC field too... no idea how big that is or how much they charge but I would imagine there's more profit to be made there than there is off the DH crew.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any progess on the 4x track? Nats are less than 3 weeks off, hopefully its not a half finished track that blows out in half a day.

demo man

Used to be cool.
okay, got back from IMBA track building course 10 mins ago....

probably will not be any huge new sections like Snakepit, 4X track is being built the end of this week/early next week, the last patch of trees before coming out onto the finishing straight is now so much fucking better and fast (berms over 1meter high and awsome drainage), and there may be some small re-routes throughout the track if permission can be got.

i don't remember what i was thinking at the time of writting "but they wouldn't make that much money wiould they?!", but the only guess is that it's a pathetic stab at sarcasim - of course they will make truckloads of cash!

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
demo man said:
4X track is being built the end of this week/early next week
Seems a shame to waste whats been talked up as a great track plan, by leaving the building to such a late stage. Itll have all of days to pack in before it gets a national events worth of riders over it, and i really cant see it lasting too long before blowing out.

Ill be happy if you prove me wrong, because i am looking forward to it.

demo man

Used to be cool.
symity, i'm not arguing with you...

i don't know what exactly they are using, but they do have some series machinery to build this thing, woudn't surprised in the least if the have a steamroller type vehicle in there for a few hours...

i don't know why they are leaving it late ish, but it's not by choice. you can't just go and rent out huge machinery whenever you like, nor can huge amounts of dirt be bought whenever you like, or permission to build be saught over night, and neither a 4X track designed over a few days!

it should be good, i'm not too sure on how much dirt they actually managed to get, but Glen has been working pretty damn hard and i'm sure he'll make the best of whatever they have!

carpo_jnr

Likes Dirt
thanks mate,
a mate just invited me up to thredbo:D and i have no clue bout the riding there (i know it's awesome though). That'll help a lot and i can't wait to hit the slopes, that is if i do go:eek: .
Thanx Carpow:p

mr bump

Squid
thredbo tracks ace

just got back from thredbo and the tracks were seriously sweet. i rode the 4X track the day after the nats and there were no blown out sections, the same with the DH track and the new section is awsome. and yes i think nrg are making plenty of money to cover the new tracks. at $119 for 2 days riding compared to $81 for a 4 day sight seeing pass (no riding) there should be plenty aside even after insurance has been paid for

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
danieln said:
Generally - Is the track dangorous?
extremely, and overly dangerous.

jks, it is a fun track to ride (when you can stop halfway through and let the feeling come back to your hands), not so much fun to race. (when you can't)

there aren't really any huge obstacles or jumps so if you stay within your limits then there is very leittle chance of a serious injusry (as always)

but then again, where is the fun in that? i would reccommend hiring some armour and just pinning it and not hurting yourself (cos of the armour) when you crash. best way of doing things IMO

thredbo

i just got back from thredbo yesterday and bloody hell my arms and ahnds are sore lol great track though the new section will be much better when it is worn in. anyone else racing thw corc race there next weekend on the 12th?:)

Maris

Likes Dirt
Was at Thredbo in Jan/Feb, absolutely awesome track and i deffinatly reccomend wearing armor, there are some big rock gardens which can really hurt like hell. Oh and dont be an idiot like me and try to ride it on a hardtail, your feet just die aswell as your hands and arms :(

foolbis

Likes Dirt
Just got back from Thredbo. Spent 3 days on the mountain...what a killer on the body...but awesome fun!!!! Theres a bit of snow around now, which makes the rails and staircase quite challenging. All and all, what a blast, tho I think next time 2 days up there is plenty......

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Don't forget to check out the trails down in Jindy as well. Totally different to Thredbo as they are way more technical and some of them pretty closely follow the Red Bull trails from 2003 only toned down slightly.

pancho

Cannon Fodder
sounds good ! Where can one get maps etc for Jindy ? We are as yet unsure of where to stay the night - i.e. Jindy or Thredbo.