Thredbo Lives!

S.

ex offender
Were you the only party bidding for the buisness?

You are surely aware that Mt Buller already have the jump on you regarding many of the suggestions made on this forum. Mt Buller, from what I have heard, plan on expanding their MTB operations big time in the coming years. Given this, and the failure of RawNRG, how do you plan to compete?
Mt Buller have been claiming that they're going to do that every year since they re-opened. This year was the first year anything actually changed (other than putting in wooden bits where there used to be natural terrain, but whatever, apparently it was necessary) and even then that was only really the little slalom track which served to elongate International and annoy people a bit, plus the XC stuff (which apparently is awesome, I haven't ridden it though).

I'd say the #1 thing that could be done at Thredbo is to actually make ANY significant changes. I haven't gone up there for the past couple of years even to races because the track is pretty much the same old one-line plow-fest it's been every other time I went there. Put in a new track? Put in some big jumps? Make a track that has more than one line? Whatever... just make some decent changes that give the place a breath of fresh air, because at least in my eyes, it's pretty stale as is. I also don't think that complete beginners should be able to ride national-level racetracks, or alternatively, national-level races shouldn't be on beginners' tracks. Trying to strike a compromise to create a track that is both rideable by absolutely everyone, and challenging riders who are literally the best in the world, is just unrealistic IMO. They do need separate tracks or at the very least very much separate lines.

Also it would be nice to see some steep stuff there... it's a big steep hill, why not have some big steep burly stuff? Nowhere else in Aus really has a better location, it'd be nice to see it being used a bit closer to its potential.

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
As some of you may already know, I worked for (and with) both Colin and Jane between 2002 and 2006 back in the RawNRG days.

It's all well and good to say "Yeh gimme big jumps and a phat 5m wide rock garden yo!" but I've seen and experienced first hand some of the past difficulties presented in simply attempting to widen tiny sections of the downhill track, let alone making new sections altogether. Its a killer to help build a sweet high corner entry 'pop-over-that-rock' line and watch some of the pinners punching it, only to bunt or otherwise block it off shortly after due to the median track width restrictions.

On the other hand I was also involved in building the beginners 'village trail' over towards the Snowgums lift line... not many even know it exists, but it was a big milestone at the time because we'd previously been forced to funnel all beginners straight down snakes and ladders and weren't allowed to make a separate bypass section to cater for the learners.

Even helping build what is now known as the main line between the end of the fire-road and Kareela hut was awesome - keeping a bit of speed off the road and adding some new fun, but also getting to mix it up just a little bit occasionally with riding the old section below Snowgums top station (also good for the beginners).

When I rode the hill all day almost every day during summer (yes days off too) these little variations, especially when riding with a bit of a crew, were just enough to break the monotony. I didn't mind doing a double sweep run with another guide and checking out the beginner lines for broken bodies.. nose-wheelying around some of the corners and messing about til i got back to the main track was a bit of fun for the end of the day!

Since leaving the crew under less than ideal circumstances, I have also seen some of the bigger changes brought about since some of the newer crew had been involved - the junior development race team, the track changes towards the bottom of the hill doing away with the old 'Tower 10' switchbacks and avoiding the often annoying shared-user and blind high speed corners that a group of walkers would usually be hiding behind just after that magnetic rock traverse...

It's been a slow process up to now and it will be interesting to see what, if anything, gets fast-tracked from those higher up (Kosciuszko Thredbo etc), however there is no denying the Cannonball has come a long way from the 100% fire trail days, although they were fun too!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Whistler-esque massive variety on the side of that hill, but the more realistic vision of a few larger and nicer changes over the next few years is more worth looking forward to.
I for one am very keen to see what Jane and the newer (and older) crew will put together for summer 08/09, and how it will stack up compared to Buller.
I'll definitely be cruising up for a couple of visits through the season to check things out. :D

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Small changes but many changes

I think a second major track would be the best for Thredbo.

I'd even go as far as suggesting it be an easy track ... relatively wide and smooth ... so as to potentially attract more Rubber oriented summer visitors. (lets call this the Bunny run)

Coupled with this, getting approval to widen the existing track ... allowing more lines. (lets call this the Elite Track)

As a phase 1, the bunny track would potentially attract new riders into the sport, whilst keeping things interesting for the advanced / returning element of the market with the elite level track upgrades. The main aim is to bring in revenue (for the village and the new operator) to validate the model, and justify further expansion.

My phase 2 would be to cut in more tracks (maybe x2 again) ... but I think that won't happen for a very very long time given NPWS charters. So an alternative would be to build in more features to the two exisiting tracks or start developing a wider network of XC trails in and around the area, the mountain & the village (with the view of again attracting new riders into the village & potentially onto the Mountain).

Jump ahead to Phase 15.
Fark Threadbo ... take over the Perisher lease and develop everything within reach of a chairlift & beyond.

Good luck guys ... I wish you every success and quickly too ... before petrol gets to $4 per litre

frdlvr

Likes Dirt
Think about it if there was a A-Line track 2 to 5 mtr wide with table top jumps berms all the way down the mountain it could be used for both MTB and skiing\snowboarding.

You could use it for 4 man MTN-X, as well as ski\boarder cross, you already have a snowboard park set up in the winter.....

Also if you are carrying a MTB Australia card\licence or Associated club licence you should just be able to purchase a lift ticket and not fork out the cost of the lesson\course as well and have the choise if you want to do the lesson you can and pay the difference.

Last edited:

Middo

Likes Bikes
I would love to see the current track combined with a new one that criss-crosses it a number of times. That way, sections could be opened and closed as required to allow periodic or as required maintenance/rehabilitaion; as well as giving a large amount of possible variations to keep it fresh for the riders (I guess similar to what SpectRe was saying above).

A second track that required a lower skill level would also benefit all riders, by allowing people to build up their skills before being thrown in the deep end (as my partner found with snakes-and-ladders). This will also seperate the fast riders from learners - and the aggro attitudes/egos that surface when the two are forced to ride the same track.

Trying to be realistic - I doubt very much that you'll be given free reign on the hill to go crazy, & rightly so.

Good luck with it!

laura_spark

Likes Dirt
A second track that required a lower skill level would also benefit all riders, by allowing people to build up their skills before being thrown in the deep end (as my partner found with snakes-and-ladders). This will also seperate the fast riders from learners - and the aggro attitudes/egos that surface when the two are forced to ride the same track.
here here Scott!! Certainly would make for a more user friendly track if we were given alternates where we didn't have to chase our bikes down the hill (or have them chase us - being my particular problem)

hope you and the lovely Monica are both doing well.

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For those who dont know, there is almost an entire (half the hill or one third about) track there, and to be honest I find it almost more enjoyable as it seems to flow a bit better, and the little techy bits would defiantly see the more talented riders excell more than others. When I went to thredbo for a week a little while back now, everyday at least twice did the snowgums trail because it gave variation, it made thredbo alot better too...as in a whole week the dh track does get a bit boring lol....it could be maintained and extended to the bottom as a 2nd track, for the real beginners like those who dont ride mountain bike but possess as large market oppurtunity for south east mtb as they bring in corporate teams for "team building skills" ect.

goatman

Likes Dirt
Having been to Thredbo every year for the past 3 for a social weekend, we are barring it next year as it gets boring after a morning IMO.

We did 2 days at Stromlo this year and the so called XC tracks there crap on Thredbo fun wise. Anyone can ride em, hundreds of jumps and berms and if you want more of a challenge just go faster.

Our ski resorts could make a killing if they could develop more trails for a range of users. Think about it, you can take your 6 year old skiing and they can have a ball from day one. We need trails to cater for this end of the spectrum as well - wives, daughters, etc.

Put in this and some gnarly stuff as well, then you might start getting more punters down.

PS the fire road rocks!

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
dont make it as long
What are you on about???
The fact that it IS long make's it even more difficult!!
That is why I LOVE thredbo!

There are plenty of lines, and plenty to improve on. It is a unique track because of it's length! Why make it like every other track that takes 3 minutes to do! And you get more riding in as it is a longer track.

Cheers,
Ty. ;)

Tomas

my mum says im cool
No, there aren't. Go and ride somewhere like Barjarg and you will see what "plenty of lines" really is. It's not a 1 metre wide toboggan run full of braking bumps.
Hahahaha. Quoted for impact.

ryan howe3

Likes Bikes
this is sick

me n some mates are going to head down in the holidays from 5th of December to the 12 and we will be mtb riding for 4 days in the time period just wondering about bike hire and what bikes you would be hiring and about gear prices and deals and stuff like that
cheers, Ryan

Dug

Likes Dirt
me n some mates are going to head down in the holidays from 5th of December to the 12 and we will be mtb riding for 4 days in the time period just wondering about bike hire and what bikes you would be hiring and about gear prices and deals and stuff like that
cheers, Ryan

Try This
:cool:

does anybody know what they are actually replacing and fixing?
are they making a a-line because the track there isnt very technical and pritty boring after a days ride
but i dont think that they should shorten the track at all

nickhagee

Likes Dirt
do you know if they will retain the records from previous years ? So if you have been up and done the orientation previously you wont have to do it again with the new company.
Hope so !
Also do you have an info on the whispers of Perisher being a mtb destination ???
it would be cool if we dont have to do that again

i say keep the track rollable all the way down for anyone... that way people who dont feel comfortable riding dh can start there like i did. dont know about anyone else the raw nrg guys helped me out big time when i rode down there last year (it was the first proper dh track i rode on).