Thredbo Lives!

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah artificial snow makes more money then rubber tyres.
Anyway its all good with both Buller and Threders getting bigger better.
Gotta love living close to both.
Thredbo the actual hill, height wise is almost as a big as whistler main hill. Thredbo could be a whistler a little smaller yes but our own very australian whistler. If it was, it would bring in only a little less than skiing if not equal, as if it was whistler quality people from all over would come, during summer, which would boost the economy down in the country which is needed as business's are struggling hugely down there during summer, as even the winters are getting shorter and worse seasons, ect. We should aim high, if so, even if we end up with only 3 tracks, it'll be alot better than one! even if we get nothing but recognition we will still have our thredbo as we almost lost it, so everyone should be happy!

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry but Thredbo is nowhere near the height of Whistler! Thredbo is only like 600m, whistler is over 1000m to the mid station and 1600m from the top.

Lube

Likes Dirt
Sorry but Thredbo is nowhere near the height of Whistler! Thredbo is only like 600m, whistler is over 1000m to the mid station and 1600m from the top.

Thredbo
Village 1,365 meters
Highest lifted point 2,037 meters
Vertical drop 672 meters

Whistler
Village 652 meters
Highest lifted point 2,284 meters
Vertical drop 1632 meters

Last edited:

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Even though bunnywalk is a good section I say go into the trees after Davo's drop and straight down. It will avoid that massive traverse.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thredbo
Village 1,365 meters
Vertical drop 672 meters

Whistler
Village 652 meters
Yep thats basically what I said.

ja_har

Likes Dirt
Thredbo
Village 1,365 meters
Vertical drop 672 meters

Whistler
Village 652 meters
But if you talking the bike park, Whistler bike park is has majority of trails with fall of approx 350 - 400m up to Olympic Station. Garbonzo adds about the same again but does not reach the top of the Gondola and the Gondola is still a LONG way from the top.

So in vertical metres of MTB track the above vertical fall metres are a bit misleading and MTB trail in FALL alone is comparable to Thredbo. Variety is a whole different thing....

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
Thredbo lives

Improvements to Thredbo,
DH another track or variations to be added to taken off the existing track if NP&WS & Thredbo Management allow, more marshals during large events. A track that will not be called off during adverse weather. Better first aid during large events. Following the rest of a series in terms of prizes or money

Despite what is posted above I consider the downhill course too hard for Thredbo’s major clients, children under 16 and adults trying out the sport. The major attraction at Whistler is there are B lines around the difficult sections making almost the whole place able to be ridden. I have helped children down snakes and ladders and I have ridden their bikes down through snakes and ladders, I found it incredibly difficult. B lines are needed and yes to appease some people straight off the fire trail making a more difficult decent would also be a plus.

XC a another track or variations to be added to taken off the existing track if NP&WS & Thredbo Management allow. Use the fire trails for climbs, single track for decent. Following the rest of a series in terms of prizes or money.

Mountain X & Dual Slalom, a permanent track if NP&WS & Thredbo Management allow. A start gate that works mounted at 15 degrees or higher. Following the rest of a series in terms of prizes or money.

The Mountain X that was built for the 2007-08 season was one of the best for the clients of Thredbo, even though there was grumbling about no jumps the chances of injury were quite low on the track and the off camber corner was first class testing skill without to much danger. With a little work that design could be improved and be a excellent track. Glen’s 2006-07 track was very good and the one I enjoyed most racing, but the interschools may have had to many injuries.

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thredbo
Village 1,365 meters
Vertical drop 672 meters

Whistler
Village 652 meters
Well, im sorry, ps. I guess I shouldn't rely on google earth aye?

benji101

Likes Dirt
IMO, if you get rid of the fire road.. its just shit... like the fire road warms you up to get into the track i reckon... u just cant get rid of the fire roads.. its thredbo...

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But if you talking the bike park, Whistler bike park is has majority of trails with fall of approx 350 - 400m up to Olympic Station. Garbonzo adds about the same again but does not reach the top of the Gondola and the Gondola is still a LONG way from the top.

So in vertical metres of MTB track the above vertical fall metres are a bit misleading and MTB trail in FALL alone is comparable to Thredbo. Variety is a whole different thing....
No mate those figures are taken directly from the whistler bike park trail map, its 1019m at the top of olympic and 1662m at the top of Garbonzo, Village base gondola is at 675m.

Link

Likes Dirt
Were you the only party bidding for the buisness?

You are surely aware that Mt Buller already have the jump on you regarding many of the suggestions made on this forum. Mt Buller, from what I have heard, plan on expanding their MTB operations big time in the coming years. Given this, and the failure of RawNRG, how do you plan to compete?

bogada

Likes Dirt
The fireroad is awesome! How about when you're going up on the lift, near the top - look right. There is some mad-as-hell rocky sections over there. Depends I guess on what the NP will allow but the Cannonball is great for what it is. Some alternate lines (to be bunted off or whatever) as mentioned earlier to spice it up a bit could be sweet though. I've always though anything at Thredbo is tame enough for the semi-beginner - A hell of a lot easier than pretty much any other DH track i've ridden. The mtb park idea sounds amazing but unless i'm very much mistaken - it wasn't Rawnrg that didn't want that so I can't see it happening (in the near future anyway). Decent/ballzy jumps and hard/techy sections with b lines that are slower are what it needs to fit into the national/top level of tracks in Aus - My 2 bob.

The UK trail centre experience?

My 2 cents. I'm usually just a lurker here since I moved back to the UK In '06. Well it looks like i'm moving back to Oz soon, so i'll be riding all over the place again if all goes to plan. Has anyone here been to any of the trail centres in the UK? Afan forest in Wales is the one I visit most regularly, and it is fantastic. Four trails, ranging from 15 to 46 kms, mostly singletrack, and some fantastic descents (ballsy enough for the downhillers to train on), berms, tabletops, drops etc. And miles of great benchcut singletrack edging along the side of the steep valleys.It also has helped regenerate the area with the cafe/showers/bar at the base of the trials, and locals offering accomodation.
Are there any plans to develop trail centres along the lines of the UK example, or is it strictly chairlifts and "big" bikes?

Dug

Likes Dirt
Great news! I think that the only thing that needs to be change on the current track is the jump before bunny walk, instead of a wooden kicker with a flat lander there should be a decent 15-20ft jump made from dirt.

Apart from that i really would like to see a variety of different tracks being built for different riding styles e.g. an aussie a-line/dirt merchant and a slopestyle track as well so our aussie freeriders dont always have to go overseas to compete.

Greg
Yup a big arse flat top so everyone can have a go. Basically I'm a ground based creature but thats from the lack of practice. Big flat tops are great as you can work your way up to clearing them... In the spirit of Thredbo, a trail that everyone can ride as the main, and a badarse Aliner for the hardcore..... Comes down to MORE TRACKS..

Mikey111

Likes Bikes
Firstly let me say that the fireroad is 100% awesome, because you can hit it at walking speed all the way up to pedaling the whole way down it, i have been riding in thredbo for 4 seasons downhill and lived there nearly my whole life the track is awesome but some nice flowing jumps which are big but flowing would be great, and if the track was a bit wider like a couple of meters so u could have more line choice and also in rain they wouldnt have to cancel so soon cause the course is bigger.As i personally new all of the thredbo crowd it was sad to see it fall, but good to see that under new management it will move forward and not back.Thredbo would be sick if it was the same concept as Mt Buller which you have 2 or more tracks starting from the same spot and finishing at the same spot so when Group A is practising group b can still ride.I always reckoned that if you bermed the bottom of the fireroad it would allow to hold speed, have better exit speed and set you up good for the single track.Jumps and a wider track is the answer for sure.

Cheers,

Mikey Dargan

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can understand some people getting bored with the one track at Thredbo , but personally I havent spent enough time there to get to that point. After one day of riding I'm still getting sections sorted and getting up to speed with the whole course. It would take maybe a solid week up there before I had everything absolutely dialled to the point where boredom became an issue.

That said , I think it would be good to retain the existing track but add some more difficult options to help the bored ones maintain interest. Like having an option to the fire road , its pretty gnarly terrain up there as someone mentioned , I'm sure we've all scoped lines down that rocky outcrop whilst sitting on the lift. Basically keep the current trail as the main route but with a few more options for both beginners and advanced riders. Doing this also spreads the impact of so many riders on the trails over a bigger area and may reduce the amount of trail maintenance overall. Another advantage to this plan is new sections can be added as time permits rather than having to create an entire new trail in one go. (Sure I'd love to see 5 new DH trails up there but lets keep this realistic)

Also last time I rode the fire road in April , the water bars were a bit kicky , even mellowing them a little would be a small but good modification allowing riders to hit them at full speed without fear of going otb at 60ks.

A permanent 4X track seems logical. To me , it's madness building and removing Jacobs' course each time theres a race there. Such a waste...

XC trails : Definately. They may not make as much money as DH but they require less maintenance and expand your target market. All MTB riders , not just DH / 4X.

Thats all that comes to mind right now. Looking forward to my next ride there. :)

Last edited: