Thredbo/Narooma/Eden Trip

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi All, Looking at a trip Thredbo/Narooma/Eden in late April. Any tips on places to stay in each location? Who to shuttle with? Any other recommendations? Maybe 3-4 of us coming from WA.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
We stayed at the YHA at Thredbo for 5 nights, was good value. If you join YHA Australia you get 20% off. Communal kitchen was good for cooking food and saving a bit of money.

If you want to camp there's a really good camp site a few kays down the road from Thredbo village.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We stayed at the YHA at Thredbo for 5 nights, was good value. If you join YHA Australia you get 20% off. Communal kitchen was good for cooking food and saving a bit of money.

If you want to camp there's a really good camp site a few kays down the road from Thredbo village.
Cheers I reckon I'm too old for camping and MTB in the same trip - probably more an AirBnB walking distance to the pub :)

LPG

likes thicc birds
I haven't ridden any of these except Thredbo but have heard great things about Narooma from quite a few mates that have been there and would like to make it there.

Accommodation in Narooma is probably best suited to an Airbnb unless you are camping. I'm assuming you aren't driving from WA so probably don't have camping gear? Dalmeny is a town just north of Narooma that I've scoped out when we head there. It is right on some awesome beaches and has a brewery in town. An Airbnb there would be my recommendation.

Some of the friends that had rode Narooma also rode Eden and had some pretty poor feedback. They felt fleeced by the shuttle company, apparently there are 2 companies that operate there and only one goes to the "top". They paid the extra for the company that goes to the top despite being more expensive than anywhere else in OZ. Apparently the driver gets to the lower dropoff and tells them he will do them a favour and show them the top drop off once only so they could see what the extra $20 each gets them. To top it off the trails apparently aren't that great and the only good trail was the one from the top. I love the area around Eden but I don't think I will plan any time shuttling the trails there until I hear better.

What brings you to the south coast/Thredbo? It's an awesome spot but seems like an odd destination from WA as it's not that easily accessible. You heading there from Sydney, Melbourne or elsewhere?

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't ridden any of these except Thredbo but have heard great things about Narooma from quite a few mates that have been there and would like to make it there.

Accommodation in Narooma is probably best suited to an Airbnb unless you are camping. I'm assuming you aren't driving from WA so probably don't have camping gear? Dalmeny is a town just north of Narooma that I've scoped out when we head there. It is right on some awesome beaches and has a brewery in town. An Airbnb there would be my recommendation.

Some of the friends that had rode Narooma also rode Eden and had some pretty poor feedback. They felt fleeced by the shuttle company, apparently there are 2 companies that operate there and only one goes to the "top". They paid the extra for the company that goes to the top despite being more expensive than anywhere else in OZ. Apparently the driver gets to the lower dropoff and tells them he will do them a favour and show them the top drop off once only so they could see what the extra $20 each gets them. To top it off the trails apparently aren't that great and the only good trail was the one from the top. I love the area around Eden but I don't think I will plan any time shuttling the trails there until I hear better.

What brings you to the south coast/Thredbo? It's an awesome spot but seems like an odd destination from WA as it's not that easily accessible. You heading there from Sydney, Melbourne or elsewhere?
In Melbs for Anzac day footy, yeah it's a decent road trip. Did Bright/Beechworth last year. Bright is a great town trails were decent, would have liked my own bike to tackle some more challenging trails. Beechworth/Yak Epic was a fun trail.

Have never done chairlift MTB so thought that would be fun, Narooma trails looks fun. Have also considered Falls/Omeo as well - a similar drive time from Melbourne.

LPG

likes thicc birds
In Melbs for Anzac day footy, yeah it's a decent road trip. Did Bright/Beechworth last year. Bright is a great town trails were decent, would have liked my own bike to tackle some more challenging trails. Beechworth/Yak Epic was a fun trail.

Have never done chairlift MTB so thought that would be fun, Narooma trails looks fun. Have also considered Falls/Omeo as well - a similar drive time from Melbourne.
Sounds like a fun trip. Be aware that Thredbo is a long drive from Melbourne as the roads are not direct.

hpatches

Likes Bikes
Didn’t pay to shuttle at Eden but you can self-shuttle and there are at least two good trails from the top (prana and old tom) which are long enough (3-4km descents) that you could just session those for half a day or day and not get too bored. Rode past some blue flow trails that looked pretty fun too if that floats ya boat. Beware, the climb back up to the top is 50 mins or so, I only had one in me.
There is so much accommodation around both Narooma and Eden/Merimbula it won’t be hard to find something that suits. Beautiful places that are worth visiting even without the new trails.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didn’t pay to shuttle at Eden but you can self-shuttle and there are at least two good trails from the top (prana and old tom) which are long enough (3-4km descents) that you could just session those for half a day or day and not get too bored. Rode past some blue flow trails that looked pretty fun too if that floats ya boat. Beware, the climb back up to the top is 50 mins or so, I only had one in me.
There is so much accommodation around both Narooma and Eden/Merimbula it won’t be hard to find something that suits. Beautiful places that are worth visiting even without the new trails.
Thanks I have never been south of Wollongong in NSW (or basically anywhere up the east coast of Vic towards NSW from Melb) and never been to Thredbo.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
If you are coming by car - maybe look at accom in Jindabyne for your Thredbo part of the trip, will be cheaper than most places in the Thredbo village and about half hr drive each way. We recently stayed in Eden and there are heaps of options, anywhere in town or even get a cabin at one of the caravan parks - the Discovery Park in Boydstown is not too far away from the shuttle drop off point. Eden is pretty easy to self shuttle and there is a shuttle operator in town you can use.

You mentioned Falls Creek? If you can get there, I would recommend it. Arguably better riding than Eden (cant comment on Narooma, haven't ridden there) and pretty epic scenery. Also easy to self shuttle.