Likes Dirt
thredbo and the fire

Thredbo evacuated in face of fire

By staff writers

January 17, 2007 01:44pm
Article from: NEWS.com.au

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

ONE of the nation's top ski resorts is being evacuated because it is under threat from an approaching bushfire.

The Hermit Mountain fire has more than doubled its size in 24 hours and Rural Fire Service and NSW National Parks and Wildlife crews are preparing for it to approach Thredbo by nightfall.

“The fire is approximately 12km from Thredbo now, but if weather continued as expected it will be 6km from Thredbo by nightfall,” Ailish Pope, an RFF and Incident Management Team spokeswoman, said.

“We have trigger points in place to relocate staff if need be.”

All visitors have been told to leave the ski resort, which straddles the NSW-Victoria border.

The fire was sparked by lightning on Friday and was burning in inaccessible terrain.

“The fire has burnt about 1400ha on the Victorian side of the border and about 3200ha on the New South Wales side,” Ms Pope said.

“Fire crews are being supported by 6 aircrafts including an air crane.

“The NSW Fire Brigade is also on standby to provide assistance if we need it.”

Susie Diver, Thredbo resort spokesperson, said 700 to 1000 visitors had been evacuated as a precaution and staff had been told to wet down all surfaces.

"The next two days will be telling," Ms Diver said.

The Alpine Way is now closed to all traffic aside from residents and emergency personnel.

The Kosciusko National Park and the Geehi and Swampy Creek Campsites have also been closed for public safety.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21073955-2,00.html

man hope it going to be ok for the womens weekend our hill in dunedin had half the nationals track burnt down 2 mnths ago

TerraNik

Likes Dirt
FF helmet (of course), knee/shins and elbows. I don't own a pressure suit, but I might consider hiring - see how we go - if it actually goes ahead!!!!!!!!!!

TerraNik

Likes Dirt
http://www.rawnrg.com.au/rawnrg.net/default.aspx

Posted January 21, 2007 9-10am on RawNRG online

Fires quelled by torrential rain - Thredbo re-opens!!

We've just been informed that the National Parks and Wildlife Service will re-open the KNP from 11am this morning - great news!

We anticipate that chairlifted mountain biking will begin again after the current weather system passes through - probably Tuesday morning. Stay tuned and we'll keep you posted.

Once again thank you to all of our friends who contacted us over the last few days!

---------

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biken_barbie

Cannon Fodder
hey kiwi

hey bken barbie where in Nz are u Im NZ based.....

in dunedin but travel to wanaka, queenstown nasbey and the north island riding
heya I been all over NZ but am back home in Aus now; just realised the dates for the women's weekend are super awkward (between Nationals and a familiy holiday) - looks so unlikely that i can make it now. boo hoo.

we started in ch-ch and then went to wanaka, queenstown, nelson, wellington, rotorua and woodhill. WOuld have been so good to have both and XC bike and a Dh bike was there was so many cool things to ride on a BIG bike but had to suffice with just the little XC bike for this trip.

Have a RAD time up in thredders. Travelling with your bikes is such a great way to spend your days. having chairlift access for riding is even better! Gauranteed to put a smile on your face.

Bethany

Likes Bikes
hey girls

do we want to meet for dinner or a ride next week with the crazy New Zealand girl that is coming out for thredbo?

She is making a fair effort, would be nice...

Beth

Fi

Chocolate Foot
Hi there, I'm around and could meet up Weds or Thurs if something can be organised. Just let me know the details. I will pm you my mobile.

Cheers

Fi