Ticketable offence

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
So Dazonic and I are on the way to the bmx track this arve and dazzas pulling a nice manual up to the stop sign when a cop car pulls in our way. At first they drive past, then they hit the skids aswell as the siren and jam the car into reverse.

The female police officier starts screaming:

"Do you know thats a ticketable offence?"
Huh?
"Doing a mono on a roadway!"
"HOW old are you"
Huh? 20, 22?
"You could have at least showed the curtesy to drop the front wheel when we went past"
HUH?

And then we road off. I know cops and I like respect them. But this just made me feel violated doing what we like to do. We wern't in the way of anyone. Fuck- Is tickitable even a word? And who gives a hoot how old we are?

Uggh!

chrus

Likes Dirt
well i know theyre only supposed to use sirens where neccessary. so right now shes in the wrong too..

wombat

Lives in a hole
chrus said:
well i know theyre only supposed to use sirens where neccessary. so right now shes in the wrong too..
I don't know about the police, but I know for us the use of lights/sirens is at our disgression, so if they thought that they needed them to get your attention they could be justified. Our (RFS) rules used to be that every time you were officially "responding" you had to be under full lights and sirens, that was changed though after residents got fed up with being woken up at 3am for no good reason.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats bullshit!
your age has nothing to do with it, she doesnt need to yell, its only a manual why doesnt she go solve a real crime or something, what she gets paid for no wonder so much shit happens when police are yelling at mtbers instead of doing more important things!
crazy

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been told off for doing a manual aswell...
All the cop said was, "if you want to ride on one wheel, buy a unicycle. Don't do it anymore, or at least when we can see you."
Then the other officer says, "It's a good trick though."

That was it..

j5ive

bit nicer than out lecture :)

I'm over it now. Was just pissed at the time.
Just, now I'll manual past the cop shop everytime.

danv

Likes Dirt
Rexy said:
thats bullshit!
your age has nothing to do with it
crazy
Not that they got booked anyway, but Id say that would come into play when the cops deciding wether to book you or not. Ie if your a younger teenager you might be less likely to get booked for that, but I suppose really it would only apply to kids in that respect.

Im pretty sure ticketable is a word, and I think there might some laws along the lines of riding in a careless or dangerous manner or something. I think traffic law looks a bit more seriously at bikes than say skate boords, because they are common and widely used method of road transport.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Even if they gave you a ticket you could pb get out of it as a Unicycle is classed as a bicycle under the law, therefore, it doesn't matter if you are on one or two wheel, just aslong as you pedal it to move.

Glock

Likes Bikes
genie, highway cops are real cops too.

i'd say that that particular female officer was on a power trip.

McBainous

Likes Bikes
i heard some where that they need to fill some kind of quota, where they have to issue above a certain number of tickets in a period. maybe this moody lady was under quota and shes taking it out on you guys, pretty sad ey! keep up that front wheel man dont worry about those coppas 8) . oh yeah i think ticketable is a word, u no ticket - able.

Kona.S.P

Likes Dirt
i got chased by the cops for pulling a manual down belcome road. they like full slamed on the brakes and burnt after us (you could here the v8 in the ss)

tu plang

knob
i went for a bit of urbanation with some guys during the last holidays and one of the guys was pulling a mono down a CBD street, some cops drove past and all 3 in the car looked away in a very obvious fashion. it was quite funny.

Hey wombat! What NSW RFS Brigade you in? DOing a wheelie on a public street in illigal becuase you dont have full control of the bike, say in a car swerved infront of you or something went terribly worng.... Police just dont want to see you get hurt, ohh And come on ppl, Lets stop having a cry every time the police pull us over for something!

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it probably fall under the law
of not operating a vehicle responsibly

sort equivalent of driving dangersously or some shit like
that but less severe since youre not in a car but on a bike

parallax

Likes Dirt
Cops are real people to, and most appreciate the skill it takes to pull tricks like that. From the things people have said, the police's reactions are ranging from a full-on lecture to quiet admiration. Yet no-on has been booked.

Personally - I'd much rather be told that it was a ticketable offence before some agro copper lays a fine on my ass for popping a wheelie, than afterwards.

I suppose the moral of the story is: Just don't do it when they're around.

The only time a moral dillema would occur is: 1 car full of cops at lights, 1 group (potentially more) of hotties also at the lights. To manual or not to manual??? that is the question...

j5ive

The conrol thing is a lame excuse in my book. Most riders who can manual have enough control of their bikes to stop on a dime when things get out of hand. More so than a huffy riding granny with calipar brakes.

And- I'll repeat what I said, I have nothing against cops. I respect them. But not this one :p

S.

ex offender
FrEeRiDiNg-KiNgY said:
Hey wombat! What NSW RFS Brigade you in? DOing a wheelie on a public street in illigal becuase you dont have full control of the bike, say in a car swerved infront of you or something went terribly worng.... Police just dont want to see you get hurt, ohh And come on ppl, Lets stop having a cry every time the police pull us over for something!
Nope, they have to PROVE that you don't have proper control of the bike. If you can turn and stop whilst wheelying, they can't do anything. Stopping isn't hard, it just involves jamming on the brakes, turning is a bit more difficult but definitely possible.

I know a guy who got booked for that, but couldn't actually get done cos he demonstrated that he could safely stop and turn whilst on one wheel.

Hmmm well then the cops involved could be in a bit of shit! It doesnt really seem like it was needed to use lights and sirens... it wasnt exactly a emergencey was it.......