Time to retire this helmet?

jarobo

Squid
Took a spill & didn't realise I'd hit my head. Am going to hang it up, but am curious as to wether others would continue to use it?

scblack

Leucocholic
Any impact to the helmet can potentially crack the Styrofoam.

Sounds over the top, but I would bin it.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Took a spill & didn't realise I'd hit my head. Am going to hang it up, but am curious as to wether others would continue to use it?
There is a lot of fear mongering when it comes to safety products, typically people saying "how much is your head/life/child worth" bla bla BS.

From the photo the damage looks pretty superficially so I'd keep on using it.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I'd inspect it and if I couldn't see any further damage outside of that dent (like cracking styrofoam), I'd still use it.

But most people will/would say any decent impact and buy a new one.

takai

Eats Squid
Its a reasonable dent in the old Super. Strip the hardware off it and bin it. Either sell on the visor, bolts and camera mount to someone who has broken theirs, or save for the next Super.

If you can afford a new one, why not.

But that kind of damage isn't going to make much difference to the available protection of the helmet (in terms of total magnitude of energy that could be absorbed), if you were to have another crash...

Last edited:

kwikee

Likes Dirt
The foam compresses under impact and can only do it once. Chance of you hitting the same spot in another crash? Slim, but if you do, the impact energy won't be absorbed very well. Maybe an over cautious approach but I'd bin it. Replacement is around $100. Not a huge expense for peace of mind.

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
Took a spill & didn't realise I'd hit my head. Am going to hang it up, but am curious as to wether others would continue to use it?]
Which would indicate that the helmet did it's job. It sucked up all that energy that would otherwise have been transferred to your skull. And you didn't even notice. But that foam is engineered to squash once, and stay squashed.

If it was mine, I'd be going shopping too. Do Bell offer a crash replacement programme?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I had a massive head hit once, I knew it was huge when it happened and people came running from all over the park thinking I'd really axed myself.

I didn't feel a thing, my head was fine and the styro stuff was completely busted up. The ability of that stuff to save your head is just remarkable.

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
The foam compresses under impact and can only do it once. Chance of you hitting the same spot in another crash? Slim, but if you do, the impact energy won't be absorbed very well. Maybe an over cautious approach but I'd bin it. Replacement is around $100. Not a huge expense for peace of mind.
Which would indicate that the helmet did it's job. It sucked up all that energy that would otherwise have been transferred to your skull. And you didn't even notice. But that foam is engineered to squash once, and stay squashed.

If it was mine, I'd be going shopping too. Do Bell offer a crash replacement programme?
These guys have the right of it. Helmets are only designed to do their job once, so if I were you I'd replace it.

Don't waste your time trying to inspect it like somebody else mentioned, there is no way you can visually inspect if the foam has compressed.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Most definitely.

It takes quite a bit of impact to cause damage like that. Helmets are not designed for multiple impacts.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Agree with all those saying to replace, I've replaced helmets after being dropped/chucked around with less damage than your pic.

Yes, I'm one of those 'scaremongering bastards' but in the end, it doesn't take much for permanent head damage which will change your life.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Three times for me so far . One the helmet actually fell apart when i took it off after a nasty one , another the impact absorbed and released at the end with a big crack and another just a dent . Yes its expensive but i for one am happy to replace an item of crucial safety . I have never taken up a crash replacement option as I am happy to shell out for new lid .
Put it on the wall and regale your friends with outrageous stories of what happened when they ask about it .

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That helmet is toast, any big impact on a helmet should be binned. Even if looks to only have superficial damage, the foam most likely would have compressed, and is no longer safe.
Should make this a "post your Fu**ed helmet thread". Here is my effort, I can poke my finger through it; knocked myself out cold on this one :dance:
759a7c1a726089cee8af36fd8f9bb6bc.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
When I retire a helmet I usually have a few shots st it with the hammer or machete. Based on those results and the photo of your helmet, it has had a fairly solid blow!