To the parents out there: WeeRide... anybody use it?

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Baby seats for the bike...

Does anyone use the WeeRide? What's your thoughts on it?

I think it looks fantastic for a lot of obvious reasons, but I'd like to hear some opinions from the other parents out there...

techno, as a father of 2 girls aged 12 and 14 and seen all sorts of weird contraptions for little kids, i am not a fan fo things like this where the baby or child has no hope of coming out too good if the parent were to have a stack. it just seems unnecessarily dangerous. cheers!

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I read an article about these recently by a dad who had unsuccessfully tried one of the normal (i.e. behind the parent ) carriers. His kid hated the normal carrier as he couldn't see anything but dad's back and the father never knew if the kid was happy/sad/asleep/upset as he couldn't see or hear the child.
There was pretty much no parent/child interaction which defeats a big part of the reason you want to take your kids riding.

He raved about this version. The child spent the whole ride giggling and cheering and keeps demanding more rides, it was a huge success. He took the child to daycare on it and the other kids took one look at how much fun his kid was having and queued up for a go, even the mums were pinching the bike and taking it for a spin. 2 or 3 of the other parents went and bought one that day.

I plan on buying one of these in a few months. I'm glad you posted this as the article didn't mention brand names so I didn't know where to find these.

If I can find the article I'll scan it.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep I would have said to look at the post on MTB Dirt, I think it covers it really well.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Kind sir, I take payment in bike parts and alcohol.....otherwise you will be hearing from my dodgy back street lawyers:D

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
Also Bicycle Victoria's magazine Ride On did a review of a few of these 'up-front' carriers in their most recent release.

John U

MTB Precision
my only concern would be if stack into something your kid might get sandwiched between you and the object, which wouldn't happen if they were out back. i know no one is going to ride like a mad man with a kid in there but accidents aren't planned things are they. i guess you will just need to be extra cautious. i say them being used in japan and thought they looked like a really good idea as the kid can see where they're going. i just thought i hadn't seen them in australia because they weren't compliant.
all that being said, i reckon i would give one a go if it allowed me to have enough stand over clearance.

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
I actually think you're less likely to injure the child in a stack... Any half decent parent would quickly cast aside their own safety and wrap themselves around the child in front of them creating a safety 'cocoon'... If the child is on the rear there is damn near nothing you can do about it. Certainly, the adults safety doesn't even warrant a mention when there is a child to take into account.

Matt.

John U

MTB Precision
I actually think you're less likely to injure the child in a stack... Any half decent parent would quickly cast aside their own safety and wrap themselves around the child in front of them creating a safety 'cocoon'... If the child is on the rear there is damn near nothing you can do about it. Certainly, the adults safety doesn't even warrant a mention when there is a child to take into account.

Matt.
i see your intention is in the right place but if you are riding quick enough or the impact is going to be severe enough that you need to cocoon the kid to prevent them getting hurt do really think you are going to have enough time to create a cocoon around the kid.
I am sure the majority of adults would put theirs, or others, kids safety ahead of their own.
A lot happens in an accident in a short time. I would want to ride at a pace that if i had a kid on the bike and something was to happen then there would be no chance of me slamming into to the back of them. I would not like to rate my chances of being able to cocoon the kid if i was going any faster.
I think for anyone using this system the chances of them slamming into the back if their little passenger is definately something they should think about before going out on their first or any other ride.

rangie

Likes Dirt
kids

Have used a REAR seat with 5pt harness and the kids really enjoyed themselves. Its great to 'see' them 'leaning' into 'corners' after a little while.
These were two boys (dont want to start anything here)...

One issue I potentially have is in the event of a crash I would not want to collect a kid in front of me. Plus having them in front reduces your space and hence ability to control...I would not be comfortable.

HTH

roorider

Cannon Fodder
To all parents on mountain bikes - babyseats

Parents wishing to cycle with their children mountain biking should read on.

As a mother of two, we have discovered the answer to social mountain biking with my husband. My four year old and 1 year old are loving the centre mounted babyseat - Weeride.

They love the interaction and get a little upset when its time to go home. Why was it not in the Au market earlier?

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have one...they are excellent and the lil bugger loves it!! he has been riding in it since he was 11 months old

I wouldnt ride anything technical on it but fine for a fireroad or taking him for a spin down the park...

picked him up from daycare the other day on it as parking can be a b*tch

hugh0147

Likes Bikes
I dont understand the safety arguement. in front or behind, the kid is still at risk in an accident.

my thinking is a rear end accident is less likely to be the cyclists fault, (therefore less preventable) than a front or side on accident, which with careful riding, the risk should be reduced.

Also, if you're into something a little more serious, and capable for offroad, checkout the LOCT seats. http://www.loct.co.uk/

I dont think they have a distributor in Aus. but the shop i work at bought a few from OS- Oxygen Cycles in Mclaren Vale (Adelaide).

Cost is a fair bit more than the weerides though, but a much nicer quality product with greater capabilities imho.

dont mean to spam, but as these aren't available easily in Aus and are a similar product, i thought some folks might be interested.

JP

Likes Dirt
Cell bikes has them for $169 on their website.

I use the behind the seat kid seat as i scored it from Rebel for $15.

As an aside, when riding firetrals with either front or back mounted seats, does anyone use their clipless pedals or swap out to flatties?

ullysses

Likes Dirt
Hey my parents have got one for my little sister and she loves it but get i think it is called the deluxe model it has extra padding:)! They weight a fair bit and on some bikes it can be hard to pedal sitting as the chair gets in the way of your knees. But otherwise they are very handy and your child will love them!:)