Topless models for Total Rush shop re-launch?!?!

al_

Likes Dirt
Again such a strong link between nudity and sex? why is that?
That line of argument falls down when you release photos of creepy guys leering at the girls obediently posing in their g-strings and paint.

Do you pay your wife to get naked and spend time with you? Commodification of female sexuality for the amusement of guys is never a good look, particularly when you are working towards the ultimate aim of selling things. I personally love naked women immensely, but context is vital and this kind of sales strategy is just desperate and embarrassing.

This was a fantastically bad idea that has confirmed a lot of the issues already associated with their brand. You would think anybody with any awareness of cycling would see the issues with this after the Sagan butt-pinching saga. I'm sure that wasn't sexual either though...?

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Quote Originally Posted by steve24:
Again such a strong link between nudity and sex? why is that?

Seriously? You have to ask that?! There is a link between nudity and sex because we are almost always nude when having sex, but almost all other times we have clothes on in the presence of other people/non-sexual partners. Correlation does not always equal causation, but the link in undeniable.

Commodification of female sexuality for the amusement of guys is never a good look, particularly when you are working towards the ultimate aim of selling things. I personally love naked women immensely, but context is vital and this kind of sales strategy is just desperate and embarrassing.
If they were selling bikes as sex toys (they are in a red light district, and I'm sure someone has tried it), yes I can see how nearly nude models would be a salient feature of a promotions strategy. As you said - context is everything.

Last edited:

al_

Likes Dirt
If they were selling bikes as sex toys (they are in a red light district, and I'm sure someone has tried it), yes I can see how nearly nude models would be a salient feature of a promotions strategy. As you said - context is everything.
While the Sex Party still advertise above the shop, I think the terrace containing the infamous brothel was sold. From memory there was an article in the paper stating that it went for a surprisingly low price at auction... I wonder if buyers were put off by the contents of the carpet or its proximity to a whorish bike shop?

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Nudity does not automatically equal sexualisation . The problem with TR's promotion is that they presented women as only sexual objects to help sell their wares, by using attractive nearly nude, body painted models uncessessarily. They are continuing with the tradition that women can only be sex kittens/whores or completely asexual (like mothers or good girls).

For most people, including women, sexuality and sex is only a part of their life. As most of us don't work in the sex industry, work, sleep, eating and other hobbies are the main parts of our life. Sex is important, but really, we're not doing it 24/7. They way society presents women as either/or misses out on all the other things we do.

As an example, most used car salesmen are men, but by no means are all men used car salesmen. So we don't automatically treat all men as sleazy and slimy. Neither do we do the opposite and treat non-carsalesmen men as absolute saints either. Similarly women are not indiviudals who are sex/no sex binary forms. Just like men, we fall on the continuum.

Women's equality is decidedly unsexy - because there is little sex to be had. Seeing women as autonomous, competent individuals with their own money means not seeing them as only things to have sex with. This is where TR fails - cycling is not sexy, it has little to do with sex.

Great customer service, for instance, has very little sex involved. My ovaries are not going to burst if I see a good selection of bikes I might be able to demo ride straight away, but I'll be appreciative and part with my money. Imagine going into 10 bike stores and only 1 of those stores having 1 bike that you could ride without significant after market changes or being charged pro prices for a 3rd tier bike - this is what bike purchasing is like for me, even though I can see through magazines and online that there is quite the selection of appropriate geometry bikes for me to ride (all they while having quite a few of the shop assistants try to steer you to a ladeez townie bike that is completely unsuitable for AM purposes or come up with some incomprehensible reason why they can't get a bike in for a demo or that it will take weeks and weeks and weeks. Or talk over to you to your male partner about parts and set up. True story bro).

Buying a bike is not sexy - fun and exciting but not cause for getting a boner/ladyboner. So why use women in a sexualised context (with their tits and arse out for all to see) for a non-sexual business? (And yes women's breasts are still seen as sexual features in our society at the current time, not to mention that the girls were only wearing G strings under all that paint. Where else do you see girls walking around in only g-strings? Oh yes, that's right. A strip club).

Also many women in cycling do not look like these promo girls. Think Anna Meares, Tai Lee Muxlow or even Rachel Atherton. They are not sexy in the traditional sense - but they are extremely competent, successful individuals.

When TR talks about 'supporting women's cycling' they are quite obviously just stating a politically correct line. They are 'pink washing' (if pink wasn't so closely aligned with breast cancer). By their actions we can see that they do not walk their talk. They can wear as much pink as they like and bleat "we'z just mizunderstood." (or my favourite) "we were being ironic" - it doesn't actually make them women 'friendly' until they start with acting women friendly.

+1000 this is exactly what im saying. Context, messages, necessity

You would be naive to think that society does not view nudity as sexual, should we always have this view? no, but unfortunately a big chunk of society have this view so while it might be fine for those few who can separate nudity with sex others are not so well inclined to do so.

driftking

Wheel size expert
This will be my last post on this topic, because I find some of the view's expressed here worrying. DK I generally enjoy reading all your posts- and respect most of what you have to say, and the way you put your side of any debate. I would urge you to reconsider this view of "your world". In my world the fact that there are men who believe it is ok to make judgements on a woman's sexual availability based on the clothes she is(or isn't) wearing is a much bigger issue than a couple of attractive women in body paint being paid to help sell bikes.
I'm assuming the worrying aspect is the link we place on clothing and labels like sluts?
I personally don't like this concept either, I also think there is a big difference between calling someone a label and saying they are slutty. Keep in mind though our individual views are not what matters most here but the overall social views. Unfortunately women who dress in a certain manner are labeled in these ways, these women get more attention from men who just want sex, if you go to a club these days you will know that the women who dress promiscuous are hit on more because they are considered easy. I agree the link we make here is wrong, a women should be able to dress how she likes and not be harassed or labeled however that's not how society works and while the individual might hold that view and while you may teach your children that its not bad to dress a certain way the reality is the public will view them differently and treat them differently and place these connotations on them.

Again such a strong link between nudity and sex? why is that? Nude is natural and has nothing to do with sex. My kids see my wife and I naked- so what? Is that poking some degraded image in their face?
The naked human body is a beautiful thing. I wonder why so many people MUST always link nudity to sex. This is in your mind. The female form is beautiful as is the male. Art is art- not sex.
A strip club has nothing to do with models at a shop promo. Is a woman breast feeding her baby in public also seen as being a sex object, wrong, go and hide away?
People"s atititude towards women is what we are talking about here, not wether they are wearing clothes or not. A woman should have the right (IMO) to be naked and not seen as a sexual object. It is her body, it is a natural thing, just because she takes her clothes off has nothing to do with sex. If people see her as an object that is their issue. Those same people will see her as an object wether clothed or not.
Again, I think the Euros have a far healthier attitude towards nudity.

Re kids and nudity, should we teach our kids that being naked is wrong, dirty etc?? Being naked in public in this country IS an issue because of people's attitude, nothing more.....
Your right but you need to look at the world we live in, that's fine to hold those views but we don't live in a world where people hold these views as a majority and therefore social context is very different. People linked nudity to sex its just how society has evolved and that needs to be considered because that's how it will be received.

It comes down to context. A women feeding her baby is about feeding her baby.

Then why promote them in this way, if people view them sexually anyway why get the girls to go topless with body paint? why not have them clothed. Because the store knows it promotes more sexual viewing and this in by using a Womens sexual attributes to sell items of a none sexual or associated nature is unnecessary and objectifying them beyond necessity. You said so yourself society will view women as object regardless of clothes so why is it necessary to have them like this.

Last edited:

Danny B

Likes Dirt
I think TR have had their arses handed to them by Specialized
You bet you they did. And if you want to know why here's the back story: http://mzguided.com/

... And in response to you lot who replied in this thread claiming that it was either tasteful or trouble about nothing, Let me explain it to you. Your opinion, is exactly that, your opinion; and you know how much its worth? Sweet fuck all. Your views are sexist and chauvinistic. They represent attitudes that are out of step with contemporary Australia. This isn't my opinion is a fact. A fact proved the groundswell of public anger which caused Simon and TR to eat this big hunk of humble pie. And FWIW this not a media stunt that will do any good at all. The adage, "any publicity is good publicity" does not ring true, and this is case in point.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
DannyB, you sure need to pick up a dictionary and try and learn what the word "fact" means, because right now, it seems to have eluded you.

LOL at that email that leaked - makes The owner of TR look like a complete muppet, and left specialized with absolutely no choice as to what response to make. spesh has had a hell of a week that's for sure.:shocked:

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Pharmaboy, I'm not gonna get bogged down in a conversation about semantics with you. I know the meaning of the word and used it in a way that I felt was appropriate.

Yes I agree, a complete muppet... or "great guy" as Mike Sinyard puts it. :lol:

scblack

Leucocholic
Your opinion, is exactly that, your opinion; and you know how much its worth? Sweet fuck all.

This isn't my opinion is a fact.
Guess what? That's just your opinion, nothing more, nothing less. And yours is worth precisely the same as his............"Fuck all" and that's in your own words.

indica

Serial flasher
Sweet fuck all. Your views are sexist and chauvinistic. They represent attitudes that are out of step with contemporary Australia. This isn't my opinion is a fact.
The fucken what?

Danny, kindly return your head up your arse where it belongs.
WE are the TARGET market for MTB brands and shops. We buy, repeatedly new technology.
YOUR opinion regarding the interpretation of the FACTS is as valid as any one elses here.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
You bet you they did. And if you want to know why here's the back story: http://mzguided.com/

... And in response to you lot who replied in this thread claiming that it was either tasteful or trouble about nothing, Let me explain it to you. Your opinion, is exactly that, your opinion; and you know how much its worth? Sweet fuck all. Your views are sexist and chauvinistic. They represent attitudes that are out of step with contemporary Australia. This isn't my opinion is a fact. A fact proved the groundswell of public anger which caused Simon and TR to eat this big hunk of humble pie. And FWIW this not a media stunt that will do any good at all. The adage, "any publicity is good publicity" does not ring true, and this is case in point.
So a bunch of people get whiney and indignant on the internet and suddenly opinion becomes fact?

This is unprecedented, surely this is the first time a group of people on the interwebs has kicked up a stink about something, and since barely anyone has replied with anything contradictory (and when they have, they've been promptly and rightiously shot down), this surely means the opinion of all society can be considered on side. BOOYA! Interweb win!!!!

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk