Torque wrench

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
I do have one, one that starts at 20ft-lbs. so not quite small enough for bike bolts (specifically the pre load top cap on a fox fork) what do fellow rotorburners use or recommend?

slowmick

38-39"
Bunnings have small Kinchrome 1/4 drive ones for low torque values. good for protecting the carbon bits. website says $85. Not sure if it is a reasonable price - i just needed one in a hurry to get me going.

ChopSticks

Banned
Bunnings have small Kinchrome 1/4 drive ones for low torque values. good for protecting the carbon bits. website says $85. Not sure if it is a reasonable price - i just needed one in a hurry to get me going.

have a kinchrome 1/4 too.... also bought from Bunnings.
I ended up buying a set of Pedro's 1/4" bits for $18 from wiggle, which is all you need for bikes!

theres some cheaper ones around for $60 (with bits included) which will also do the job.

Minlak

custom titis
I got a torpedo7 one that came with all the fittings included for only $49 I can't see it on thier website at all at the moment. It seems to work fine. Remember Bunnings price match plus 10% extra off. I have seen the kingchrome ones around the traps for $69 that would be great buying then.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I got a torpedo7 one that came with all the fittings included for only $49 I can't see it on thier website at all at the moment. It seems to work fine. Remember Bunnings price match plus 10% extra off. I have seen the kingchrome ones around the traps for $69 that would be great buying then.
Same here. Kincrome one is a very decent alternative.

Mafra

Likes Bikes
I've had the pedros demi for a few years, has helped me build about 3 bikes plus maintenance.

very happy with it, just remember to release the tension in the spring when you finish a job before storing it away. (goes for all torque wrenches)

teK--

Eats Squid
I've had the pedros demi for a few years, has helped me build about 3 bikes plus maintenance.

very happy with it, just remember to release the tension in the spring when you finish a job before storing it away. (goes for all torque wrenches)
Looks Identical to mine except double the price and has a Pedros logo.

Yeah, from what I have seen, 1/4 drive ones are giving you the smaller range of torque measurements that bikes require and are cheaper compared to 3/8 and 1/2. $60 with a nice 9 piece set of common bike fastener types is the cheapest I have seen.

Even if a torque wrench has a reverse function, I avoid using them as I don't understand fully if and how they avoid damaging the calibration side of things.

teK--

Eats Squid
Looks remarkably similar to the Torpedo 7 one that goes for $50.

Whatever one you get, follow this guys advice.

Good tip this one; learn something new every day.

2. when setting a torque wrench, always take the value slightly above the intended value, and then back it down the intended value. many fail to do this, and get a false reading.

Doing this sets the torque more accurately. As an example, if you want to torque a bolt to 10nm, take the tool to 12-15nm and then back down to 10nm. If you just take it straight to 10nm, you can actually read this as 7-8nm with a bolt torque measurement tool.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Syntace make a very nice torque wrench... it can be recalibrated and comes with a certificate of calibration when you get it.

I find mine comfy to use, easy to set and most importantly... ACCURATE

ChopSticks

Banned
Syntace make a very nice torque wrench... it can be recalibrated and comes with a certificate of calibration when you get it.

I find mine comfy to use, easy to set and most importantly... ACCURATE
Kinchrome ones also come with a certificate
along with a x% of +/- accuracy

speaking if accuracy! Have you seen that laser guided stem straighter from Tune acko?
Absolutely unnecessary! But so much want!!!

Ackland

chats d'élevage

speaking if accuracy! Have you seen that laser guided stem straighter from Tune acko?
I was eying it off months ago.....

Apparently some cranks have been shipped my way from the Black Forest that will make your RF Next SL's look obese

teK--

Eats Squid

Get a wooden dowel or similar. Hold it across the fork stanchions. Line up with the handlebars.

Easy.

ChopSticks

Banned
I was eying it off months ago.....

Apparently some cranks have been shipped my way from the Black Forest that will make your RF Next SL's look obese
Look forward to seeing it when it arrives!!

just ordered my first Tune component (seat clamp)
And look forward to it arriving!!