Tough choice. BMX or MTB?

notobe

Likes Dirt
Alright.. serious im stuck.. i cant decide whether to buy an 04 Norco Ryde or to get a 04 Norco Rivet BMX or an Eastern BMX Bike. I need help damn it.. i know its upto me but what would the pros and cons be? ta.

notobe

Likes Dirt
im thinking ill be doing mostly street and DJing. But.. you could ride off road with a BMX but it would suck. So im stuck.

lotec

Banned
Daver said:
a ryde you can ride off and on road- try that on your bmx?
i got chased offroad by a group of dickheads trying to roll me and since i had over $200 in my pocket i wasnt going to give it up without a fight :shock: and i was on my friends brothers $150 bmx pos with no brakes and it was scary as but yea who says you cant go off road on a bmx daver? pfft think outside the square :!: and just for the record i got away 8)

wombat

Lives in a hole
Um, there's a big price difference between a Norco Rivet and a Ryde, like 300%+ difference....

And for god's sake, what do you want to do with it? Do you want to race XC, because I reckon a BMX would rock for that......

S.

ex offender
wombat said:
Um, there's a big price difference between a Norco Rivet and a Ryde, like 300%+ difference....

And for god's sake, what do you want to do with it? Do you want to race XC, because I reckon a BMX would rock for that......
notobe said:
im thinking ill be doing mostly street and DJing. But.. you could ride off road with a BMX but it would suck. So im stuck.

wendel

Banned
lol good call just get a bmx if you want to do street and dj u can get through dirt roads i have to ride my macneil through all that shit with elm street tires

wombat

Lives in a hole
My bad, I renig on my previous comment, and add this:

The rivet is great for the money, but if you're going to ride hard I wouldn't waste my time with it. If you can budget a grand or so for a Ryde, why not look at a BMX at that price point? It'd be a better performing, longer lasting bit of gear.

S.

ex offender
Renege? (Is that spelt right?)

I second the BMX. $1k gets you a pretty decent BMX, gets you a VERY basic mtb tho.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Daver, that's a silly statement.

Can't go off-road on a BMX?!? What? They were FIRST designed for off-road!

I own a Norco Speed Metal Pro - a 20 inch race BMX. I used to race BMX with it. I do dirt jumps with it. I've ridden most of Grizzly's Glory with it, including the North Shore sections and ladder drops. I've done the Oaks trail in the Blue Mountains on it. I've ridden several of the trails at Oxford Falls on it. Admittedly, the trail riding was done out of necessity (normal MTB was stolen), but I think it can handle off-road nicely, thank you very much.

I think the best benefit of a BMX over a MTB is that it's a very simple, tough little tank of a bike that you can huck around, and ditch/crash at will, without worrying about breaking, scratching, damaging expensive parts.

Plus, the lower center of gravity for the bike makes it easier to throw around in the air.

And they're usually MUCH cheaper than a comparable quality MTB.

Just don't think you can do a lot of hill-climbing with one. That's pretty evil.

bryn

Likes Dirt
Techno Destructo said:
Just don't think you can do a lot of hill-climbing with one. That's pretty evil.
but hey, i'd rather do a hill climb on a bmx than a full blown squishy :D

notobe

Likes Dirt
Well ive got about $900 but im also wanting to buy some safety gear.. like shinnies and gloves cause i dont have those either.. plus maybe abit of money left over might help go towards something else.

Im either looking at the Eastern Bikes Traildigger or the Eastern Bikes 9 Volt.