Tough choice. BMX or MTB?

notobe

Likes Dirt
anyone got any other sugestions about which bike to get? Id like it to be small and light cause im only 5' 2".. so anything small and light would be great.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Sigh... It's a shame you're not around the Sydney area. I was thinking about selling my Norco Speed Metal Pro.
Light, tough, race BMX.

Oh well. Just try to get a BMX with an aluminum frame. That should keep the weight under control...

wombat

Lives in a hole
Techno Destructo said:
Oh well. Just try to get a BMX with an aluminum frame. That should keep the weight under control...
If he's serious about street, I don't think he'd want an aluminium frame, especially not a race one. Aside from the fact the geometry on a race frame would be far from ideal, they just don't hold up as well as steel frames when it comes to bashing them into rails and the like.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
get an mtb man ive been on both side of the fence having owned 2 bmx ers and 2 mtbs suprisingly i still have both mtbs even though im selling one (im not advertising but if youre intrested...)anyway i would never go back to a bmx now they are usless for riding to spots usless in deep sand ect go for a ryde they are nice bikes and for 1199 at my local bikeshop they are a good price to

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
go the bmx dude. if it is just for street/dj, Im assuming that he wont WANT to ride mtb trails on it. Im also assuming he already has an MTB for everything else.
Besides, the forks on the norco suck, and a bmx at that price is gonna be MUCH better. Yeah eastern bikes are good. all of em. and they sp[onsor majoinen
GET WELL SOON DUDE!!!
(they all have threepiece cranks even the cheap ones)

semi_lob

Likes Dirt
Hey there, u might not like the name gt but have u looked at the gt fly or one in that range ,the gt fly is great value it's like 300 or so and it's got 3 piece cranks and i'm not sure but i think it has a cromo frame. I think it'd be worth a look or one higher up in the gt dj bmx's

Rik

logged out
BMX-styled MTB
Singlespeed cromo frame, BMX bottom bracket running tubular 3pce cranks, use 24" wheels and V brake on the rear, try and get a shortish suspension fork on the front.
Best of both worlds ;)

125PHIL

Likes Dirt
Rik said:
BMX-styled MTB
Singlespeed cromo frame, BMX bottom bracket running tubular 3pce cranks, use 24" wheels and V brake on the rear, try and get a shortish suspension fork on the front.
Best of both worlds ;)
yeah i second that rik!
look at jays_5000 in tassie and the locals who ride windsor in melb. they prodomatly mtbs, doing urban skatepark, and DJ, there set ups are just are like big bmxs, 24's crom cranks, single speed 1 brake, etc, and there shreeding like the bmxers at parks and jumps and still got the veristiliy 2 ride mountain when they need 2, with bigger wheels and suspension.

i have both side of the debate, i got my 125 which ride everything urban, park, jump, bmx tracks and used 2 DH before i build up a rig for it, and the 125 did it well, but i also had my bmx, which i do only street and park on maily for grinds etc. and i ride park with both. and both do it well

well in my opionion go tthe mountaibike, ans u will have heapps more versititly in ur riding styles, and i still feel the bigger wheels float nicer over DJs anyday!