Tour de France

JT145

Likes Bikes
I wouldn't say that just yet.
Still 1.5 weeks to get though, anything can happen!

But it does look a little grim for everyone.
Will be interesting to see how strong Froome is next week though, he's had a brilliant start to the race, ridden strong the whole time.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Just going to say it because I think RB probably could take it when other forums can't.

Is Froome on the juice? I'm unsure at the moment but if he can back up stage 18 and 19 with solid performances, I'd not have a doubt.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Just going to say it because I think RB probably could take it when other forums can't.

Is Froome on the juice? I'm unsure at the moment but if he can back up stage 18 and 19 with solid performances, I'd not have a doubt.
There's talk of this in the UK press. Someone leaked his power data and sky are calling in the lawyers.
Someone overlaid his power data with a video of a big climb, implying that to put out that power for that long he must be on the juice.
Pretty hard to believe though. After all, cycling is clean now. ;)

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A three minute gap with no time trials left - it's all but over. It's a shame, I was looking forward to stage 20 with the climb up Alpe D'Huez as a close tour finale. Froome could give them a head start of half the climb and still win the tour.

Will be very interesting to see how Richie backs up from this. In 2013 they went 1-2 in stage 7 or something and blew the field away like last night, but Richie couldn't repeat it, unlike Froome.

Would love to see Richie be allowed to go for the KOM jersey now that Froome has this wrapped up.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
french article.
http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Chris-froome-sky-n-a-pas-seme-la-mefiance/574244

you can use translate to get it to eng, videos are interesting.

yep, if he don't crash can't see froome being caught.

of real interest for us was Porte catching Q and taking second.

translated.
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&from=&to=en&a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.lequipe.fr%2fCyclisme-sur-route%2fActualites%2fChris-froome-sky-n-a-pas-seme-la-mefiance%2f574244

Last edited:

JT145

Likes Bikes

It's an easy assumption. It's all he said she said at the moment.
There absolutely no reason anyone couldn't ask the same question about any of the top guys really.

Innocent till proven guilty I guess.

I don't think he is. Just my opinion, I've been wrong before.

JT145

Likes Bikes
When it comes to pro sports I usually use guilty until proven innocent.
Fair point, hardest thing is how do they prove themselves innocent?

They pass numerous drug tests daily (well they apparently pass them, eg. Lance)

As is goes with Froome & his data saga at the moment, people say he's cheating, but as he says, what more does he have to do to prove himself?
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Fair point, hardest thing is how do they prove themselves innocent?

They pass numerous drug tests daily (well they apparently pass them, eg. Lance)
Doping tests are a joke. The drugs are so good now that it is impossible to get caught unless you are stupid or very very unlucky. It is pretty much imposible to police unless you want to seriously infringe privacy and apply an anywhere anytime with GPS tracking for all athletes.

I think the battle is lost with performance enhancers. I say let the athletes loose and take whatever they please. This will bring a lot of big pharma dollars to the sport and the risk to athletes will be policed through the big pharma reputation at stake if there are side effects.

I don't want to see a juiced up froom kill everyone. I'd rather see everyone equally juiced up. Then I will back gorilla for outright GC win hauling all 3 jerseys.

Last edited:

wilso1

Likes Bikes
Looks like the tour is won and done? Just a race for 2nd place now...
Unfortunately I'm inclined to agree with you.

With the standings we had on the rest day, Froome was going to find it harder to mark four adversaries who could all have attacked him, and each would have been an equally likely threat. With the field opening like it has after last night, Froome now only has to mark Quintana. The rest are too far back to be realistic threats.

I see only three hopes from here, and they are more hopes than realistic chances:
- While Froome has dominated on Ventoux and last night, it has been single climbs at the end of a long stage. Perhaps the upcoming stages with Cat1 or Cat2 enroute and then a hilltop finish give the attackers a fighting chance?
- Nibali & Contador are better descenders, so maybe they can put some time into him on a descent.
- Froome apparently spat the dummy that there was so much climbing this year vis a vis TT. Hopefully he's identifying a weakness for us.
But these are more desparate hopes than realistic outcomes (from someone who picked Nibali & Contador in his fantasy team :doh:).

Froome on the juice? The biological passport makes it harder to cheat these days, but what is he really supposed to do? Win by only 30sec and he's not cheating, but win by 1min and he is??!
I thought Sky released some of Froome's power data back in 2013 to tyr to dispel the stories he was on drugs. It will be interesting to see if this time it was leaked or released. I know we've been burnt by trusting the system in the past, but I don't know if you can continually doubt performances. Paranoia is a killer.

wilso1

Likes Bikes
I say let the athletes loose and take whatever they please. This will bring a lot of big pharma dollars to the sport and the risk to athletes will be policed through the big pharma reputation at stake if there are side effects.
Hahahahahaha. We have the future of sport right here!!!
The problems of not enough money in cycling have been solved (although I'm not sure if I want see bike stores wheeling our 'new season drugs' instead of 'new season bikes').

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Froome on the juice? The biological passport makes it harder to cheat these days,
The word is that the biological passport is now next to useless. People are smart buggers when big dollars are involved.

I just watched extended highlights of yesterdays stage, talk about deja vu! Only thing missing was a yellow wrist band.

That guy has found himself a very handy doctor.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Hahahahahaha. We have the future of sport right here!!!
The problems of not enough money in cycling have been solved (although I'm not sure if I want see bike stores wheeling our 'new season drugs' instead of 'new season bikes').
Maybe we bring doping to MTB? Imagine how many drugs you could sell to downhillers if you told them they could heal faster after a crash. EPO does red blood cells, I'm sure there is another that can do healing white blood cells! Better yet, just give them some cocaine and watch them bomb down without fear (maybe they are already stoned?).

On biological passport - it's a joke. Check this article out. Amateur dopes and doesn't even try to hide it. Passes biological passport.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-32983932

MARKL

Eats Squid
I think the battle is lost with performance enhancers. I say let the athletes loose and take whatever they please. This will bring a lot of big pharma dollars to the sport and the risk to athletes will be policed through the big pharma reputation at stake if there are side effects.
Awesome, just like F1 'Specialized powered by GlaxoSmith', 'BMC powered by Bayer' etc.

End of stage interview...'I would like to thank the boys in the lab, they did a fantastic job...i have always been a sprinter but hey this polka dot jersey is real nice'

Minlak

custom titis
So have been seeing headlines today about hidden motors in the bikes particularly Froome's. So i started thinking surely some one would notice a motor. Then I found this.

kurbel_mit_motor_gradient_gro.jpg

IMG_97051.jpg

[video=vimeo;125868435]https://vimeo.com/125868435[/video]

It would be so easy to conceal that in a bike frame. The extra weight would be negligible compared to the rumoured 150Watt extra power. Can be activated remotely too.

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Having watched every race in this Tour Froome got his lead from one stage where he attacked and held it together and left the others behind. His main contenders were Nibali who cracked and obviously isn't in peak form and Contador who couldn't keep up but he has consistently seemed a little weaker after the exertion of the Giro. Quintana and Tejay just couldn't catch him either for whatever reasons, maybe the heat. But SKY has been really controlling the race and helping froome more than the other teams have managed with their riders, so not surprising Froome was maybe that fraction fresher.

Since this stage all these race leaders have been essentially matched, with only Nibali pulling some seconds back on the last stage. So its hard to see any doping really showing any advantage.

Still it will be interesting watching in the Alps.