Trading access FAQ

S.

ex offender
Since some of you still seem to miss the rediculously obvious and clear instructions as to how to apply for trading access, here's a FAQ about how trading access works.

1. How do I get trading access?

You read ALL this.

2. Why can't I post in the trading forums?

Because you don't have trading access. See point 1.

3. I applied for trading access a few days ago but I haven't heard anything, how do I know when I've got it?

If you go into your user profile page, there will be a small box on the right hand side, underneath the "Mini Statistics" and "Friends" boxes, that says "Group Memberships". Under that is a subheading with "Public User Groups", and if you have trading access you will see "Trading Access" displayed under this subheading. If you don't see this, or any box with "Group Memberships" there, you do not have trading access.

Note that now everyone has an iTrader icon underneath their names. This is to allow sellers to leave feedback for buyers who do not have trading access yet.

4. i aplied 4 tradin acess lyk 2 week sago wen do i get it

You don't. The whole reason we have restricted trading access is to keep idiots like you out.

5. I haven't heard anything for ages since I applied, how long does it take?

Normally you will get trading access within a week of applying IF you are successful. If you don't have it within that time frame, it's probably because your application was denied.

6. Why was my application denied?

Read the rules (question 1), and read this.

7. What should I do if my application was denied?

Read the rules again, pay careful attention to the "how to apply" steps, and apply again. Make it VERY clear that you have read the rules, which is done most obviously by CITING a few of them. If you come across as an idiot again, or show no evidence of having read the rules again, your application will be denied again.

8. I still don't get it, should I make another thread in "Site Problems/Suggestions" with the same title as 4 others on the first page?
No.

9. What if there's something else I need to know because despite the fact that this is written on nearly every page of every forum, I just don't understand how to get trading access?
First, do a search using the search function. If that turns up nothing - and I guarantee this won't be the case - THEN start another thread.

10. The text box is too small to fit a whole paragraph in, what should I do?
Keep typing - the box will accept more text than its physical size displays.

EDIT: The Trading Rules have been updated with more explanations on common problems people have with submitting their applications, as of 25/08/08.

Last edited:

cameron_15

Eats Squid
8. I still don't get it, should I make another thread in "Site Problems/Suggestions" with the same title as 4 others on the first page?
No.
haha,

i don't get it, how come there are four threads about trading acces on the first page of site problems. it's pretty simple i got it on the first shot and i'd imagine 99% of people do. as you said, all you have to do is read the rules and include somewhere in your paragraph that you have read the rules, you understand them and you will abide by them.

i did a search and found 31 threads to do with trading access in site problems and suggestions. wow!

Last edited:

Bodin

GMBC
10. I haven't made any posts, but I'm a member of [insert name here] site(s).
We don't care what you do on other sites. You don't contribute to Farkin? You don't trade on Farkin. Simple.

DHZILLA

Likes Dirt
Can i ask a question? In the rules it says that once you have sold something, you have to edit the title and say Sold and then after 1 hour it automatically goes in the sold section. What do you do in the Wanted section once you have found the item?

S.

ex offender
Can i ask a question? In the rules it says that once you have sold something, you have to edit the title and say Sold and then after 1 hour it automatically goes in the sold section. What do you do in the Wanted section once you have found the item?
Pretty sure you put "Found" in the title and there's a script that does the same thing.

DHZILLA

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure you put "Found" in the title and there's a script that does the same thing.
O.k, ill try that and see if that works.

EDIT: Tried that but 12 hours later it is still there.

DOUBLE EDIT: Ok, it has moved now under Found

Last edited:

dissa

Likes Dirt
public users?

hi

i've had me nik name for 15 years< its not made up.:mad:
i never passed english due to a disability(dislexia).:(
it never stopped me from earning a fortune though.:cool:

is being classifieds as a public user an instant "no" when applying for trader access.:confused: i applied yesterday and the web bulletin told me that it doesn't allow access to "public users".

any ideas?

p.s. thanks for the access guys

Last edited:

conman

Likes Dirt
Hi.

I accidentally pressed the join group button when applying for trading access with nothing in the text box and now it wont let me try again. Do i just have to wait a couple of days or do i only get one try at it. Could you guys help me out as it was a silly mistake and one that will not happen again.

Thanks, Con.

EDIT: Thanks Demo Man for fixing this problem.

Last edited:

Andobrahh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I sent a request to Scott with proper english and everything and said I read all the rules (which I did... 3 times now) and will abide by all of them and it was longer than any of the others on the page??? any suggestions guys

chu

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah you need to get some posts up. anyone can write a decent trading access message but if you dont have any or many posts (less than 10) then the mods just generally over look the application because they do not no whether or not you are a worth while member. please correct me if i am wrong but i think that is the case.

S.

ex offender
DON'T send trading requests to Scott, or me, or any of the other mods/admins. They will be ignored. Read the page on HOW TO APPLY, note where it says "CLICK HERE TO APPLY" and then proceed to click there to apply.

Seriously, this system is so dead simple that if you can't get access, you really didn't deserve it.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
As S. said, I do infact ignore pm requests for trading simply because there are far too many. If I did reply to them all it'd be a full time job. If you are genuine about getting access browsing a couple forums and looking around surely isn't that much effect to find out the correct way of getting it. It's not completely fool proof, but we've made alot of effort to make it close.

boothy17

Likes Bikes
i applied for trading access about a month and a half ago and i had more than 10 posts and i sent a good reason to join it and i still havnt been granted or denied
does anyone know why this is

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
i applied for trading access about a month and a half ago and i had more than 10 posts and i sent a good reason to join it and i still havnt been granted or denied
does anyone know why this is
I know!

The reality is you didn't actually apply "a month and half ago"... it was 19 days ago :rolleyes:

And you may want to go back and re-read the application requirements here http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=4932 because the reason you gave didn't really meet the requirements at all. (See below)

i would like to have trading access on farkin.net because i think its a great way to buy stuff unlike buying and selling on ebay and other sites like that and on this site people acctually know what they are talking about
And try to remember this site is run by VOLUNTEER staff. Things get done as soon as we can... but that's not always as soon as people expect :)

indica

Serial flasher
And try to remember this site is run by VOLUNTEER staff.
What?
Don't you get paid like $100,000 a year?
Isn't Johnny the os correspondent based in China to cover the Olympics for Farkin Ltd?

What about all the free bikes, booze and wimmin youse guys get?

dunndog

Eats Squid
Last Step..

Hi guys, I think it's the very last step of trading application that's stumping people.. i've just written my small application paragraph, but when i click on 'join group' it tells me it's not for public members.. Are we to write the paragraph and then just leave it? does it get to you that way? There doesn't appear to be a way to 'enter' it into the system..If not, what exactly do we do once it's written? Cheers... And by the way, I'm not the most computer savvy person so forgive my ignorance...

Andres

Squid
Just something I noticed when applying for trading access - in the actual 'Trading Rules' it states a minimum of 5 posts. Whereas in this FAQ, and a few other spots, I've noticed people (inc Admins) posting the minimum number of posts being 10.

Not a big deal, but in what seems to be a relatively confusing process for some, small inconsistencies probably don't help things! ;)

S.

ex offender
Just something I noticed when applying for trading access - in the actual 'Trading Rules' it states a minimum of 5 posts. Whereas in this FAQ, and a few other spots, I've noticed people (inc Admins) posting the minimum number of posts being 10.

Not a big deal, but in what seems to be a relatively confusing process for some, small inconsistencies probably don't help things! ;)
To be honest it doesn't even matter, as long as you've got a couple for us to read should we choose to do so (I usually don't bother unless an application is borderline). All I personally look for (the other mods might be different) is a paragraph that convinces me you're able to read, understand and follow basic instructions (ie the "How to get trading access instructions!) without being retarded. There are plenty of people who apply for trading access who have hundreds of posts, who still get knocked back for applying with something like:

"hi i want tradin access coz i wan 2 sell my stp i read the rules alraedy and ebay fukin sux"

Going by your own post there, I'd guess you'd have no trouble writing something that gives us the right idea.

Last edited:

Bodin

GMBC
To be honest it doesn't even matter, as long as you've got a couple for us to read should we choose to do so (I usually don't bother unless an application is borderline).
I support everything that S has said here, but I want to point out that I don't consider Farkin a site to be used only for the purposes of trading, so I don't approve anyone with zero posts, no matter how good their application is.

I'm a lot older and less intelligent than S, so I reserve the right to be grumpier.