NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
I won't be able to make this one due to work commitments, but hope you get a great turnout, especially as the Sutherland NPWS MTB access meeting is on Wednesday night. Get to both, people!!

metrics

Likes Bikes
Will maintenance be cancelled if it's raining? Or is it just the best time to do work out the drainage issues :)?

Unfortunately missed the Sutherland NPWS meeting after getting held back at work. Thanks to those who attended.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Will maintenance be cancelled if it's raining? Or is it just the best time to do work out the drainage issues :)?
Possibly and Yes. I am planning on going for a walk even if there is a biblical flood in progress. Best time to ID problem areas and work out what needs to happen.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No email this month and plenty of wind where I am. I'm going to head out anyway and if it's not on I'll check out Appin on the way home.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Yeah very windy here in Sutho, dunno if that will affect things or not.

Regardless, I can't make it any more unfortunately, got a last minute invite to an RFS training course that I can't miss. Next time.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We did a bit of work on the Blair Witch section. Put a few drainage nicks in and fine tuned some older work, fixing up two previous efforts so they will hopefully be spot on now. Removed two fallen trees.

The other group cross Farnell Ave and worked on a few waterbars that keep holding water on the high side. A lot of digging, filling and compacting and two were done. Big efforts to get them done.

We had a good sized group today as well with around 18 or so in total. A few more walkers than usual turned up with about 6 of them. Two were keen to show us the possum they found up a tree and it was pretty cool doing it's thing running around everywhere at the top of the tree.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't received the email yet confirming the maintenance day for this Saturday, the 20th of November, but I'm assuming it's still going ahead. I won't be able to attend, but have fun everyone who does.

abevern

Likes Dirt
Ditto.

Thoughts on work sites?

Given the recent rain, I know that the water bar up from the two we worked on last time is not draining and could do with some similar modifications.

There's also that massive slow draining puddle at the end of the top single track running from the oval to the top of the Temptation Creek firetrail.

it'll be interesting to see how many people turn up.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
are we still on? No word from Grant yet AFAIK. I'll dig/work anywhere, but have no suggestions as I haven't ridden the royal for a few weeks...

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Friends of the Royal are holding a meeting next week. Agenda item 4 might be of interest if anyone can make it and maybe push for more trail work dates? I'll try and get to this one.

Planning Meeting No.7
Thursday 25 Nov 2010
Agenda

Time: 4-6pm

Venue: Royal Area office meeting room, Farnell Avenue, Royal National Park

Host and Chair: Michael Treanor? or Patsy Ross

4. 2011 Calendar of Events (PR and all) – until and Events Coordinator for the new Incorporated Friends Gp is appointed patsy will draft a calendar for next year. For this meeting 2011 dates and on-ground works are to be identified and finalised (at least for Jan-Mar 2011) on the following suggested topics: bush regeneration works & training, bush-walks, outings (e.g Hazelhurst/Gerringong Gallery), track trimming, nursery, planting, Clean Up Australia Day sites, Streamwatch, soil sampling, Landcare, market days, art trail dates, regional art events/ markets/fetes to have a presence at, culture camps, surf club/ surf safety training, historic milestones, cultural events to celebrate, scanning tasks, mountain-bike trail rehabilitation, links with Council Bushcare (Kirrawee, HNP, Otford), biodiversity surveys, Audley precinct launch, links to other groups (PHWG, APS, NPA, etc…)

5. Other Items…?

metrics

Likes Bikes
Had about 5 riders turn up and about the same number of walkers. The Temptation Creek single track was incredibly muddy on the opposite side to the log rollover at the river. At the area with the nice right hand berm (when coming downhill) it was just a slush pile. We cleaned up two large areas, narrowing the track and rock armoring the bad patches. Seemed to work out quite well, and we managed to improve the drainage a bit. We still need a lot of fill to fix some spots, but Andre said he would try and arrange some for next time.

Some before and after photos were taken, hopefully they will appear here soon. Was all up a good day, even if the turn up was down from last time.

chica

Likes Dirt
Had about 5 riders turn up and about the same number of walkers. The Temptation Creek single track was incredibly muddy on the opposite side to the log rollover at the river. At the area with the nice right hand berm (when coming downhill) it was just a slush pile. We cleaned up two large areas, narrowing the track and rock armoring the bad patches. Seemed to work out quite well, and we managed to improve the drainage a bit. We still need a lot of fill to fix some spots, but Andre said he would try and arrange some for next time.

Some before and after photos were taken, hopefully they will appear here soon. Was all up a good day, even if the turn up was down from last time.
a few MTB events have clashed with the last few maintenance days, hopefully will make the next one.

metrics

Likes Bikes
Results of Trail Work on 20th November - 2 Weeks Later

I managed to get out to the Royal today, and after all the rain we've been having, I took some photos of our two week old trail work on the Temptation Creek single track. It is massively improved compared to what it was last time, but there is still some work required (as we knew). Rather than being the unrideable mess it was last time, it could be ridden and it was good to see the rock-armoring and drains doing their bit. There are still some sections that are holding water though which might be a priority next time around.

Section 1

First, the section about half way between the rocky outcrop and the berm section. At the track work day, we narrowed the trail, forcing riders to one side which we then rock armored.

Section 1 - Overview.jpg

In the photo, the rock armoring is above the yellow sandy section at the top right hand part of the trail, at the top of the ledge. This was probably the muddiest part in the area, as the rock-armoring is now covered with the clay. Possibly some extension of the armoring is needed here to raise the trail slightly and provide more drainage into the left hand side of the photo (the part we have closed off).

Here is a photo of the muddy section:

Section 1 - Part 1.jpg

And the section just higher than the muddy section, where the drain isn't quite doing it's job:

Section 1 - Part 0.jpg

The bit of sand taking the sharp edge off the rock in the middle of the trail is holding up surprisingly well:

Section 1 - Part 2.jpg

Section 2

The section down at the two berms was incredibly muddy and almost unreliable before we got to work on it. Again, we narrowed the trail down to force riders to the left hand side of the trail when going downhill, which gave us room to put a drain in on the right.

First, a photo looking down towards the first berm, still quite wet here, but there is nowhere to drain the water because of the existing erosion, so hopefully we can get some fill to top it up. Just a photo to record where the water was:

Section 2 - Part 0.jpg

Now, with the berm just off the left-hand side of the photo, you can see that the trail is much firmer than it was last time without all the clay build-up.

Section 2 - Part 1.jpg

I like the next photo, because you can see how much water the drain has captured at the top left hand side of the photo. Also, there was minimal pooling behind the buried sleeper that we hacked at with the pick-axe.

Section 2 - Part 2.jpg

Finally, looking back up the trail, with the rock-armoring that we added beside the drain. It's holding up all right, although it seems that we might need to add a few more to the end of it, dug in deeply just to anchor the last few rocks a bit better.

Section 2 - Part 3.jpg

Hopefully these photos give you trail design experts some ideas for next time.

Byron

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the photos. It looks as if a few people have been out riding regardless of the rain. :(

Grant has sent out an email to see if there is any interest in a track work day on the 18th of December.

It would be worthwhile emailing him to show how much interest there is in this. I'm up for it.

Grant.Millar@environment.nsw.gov.au

G’day all,

Well I’m back after six weeks off and keen to find out what’s been happening.

Does anyone have any feedback from the forum last month?

I haven’t had a chance to look at the track yet but does anyone have any concerns or issues they would like to raise?

I need to re-establish the erosion monitoring on the track, once we choose half a dozen locations we can easily take the readings once a month, we just need to find sites that represent the different sections of track. I also need to do a signage audit and put a plan together of where new signage should go including signs showing any hazards and maybe a rating – not that we have any really challenging sections. Anyway if anyone would like to contribute or help out with these tasks in their spare time it would be much appreciated.

I’m thinking of making December 18th a work day followed by a bit of a xmas bbq get together, would anyone be interested in attending? It’s the weekend before xmas so I understand if people are too busy.

Cheers,

Grant Millar
Ranger
Royal Area
National Parks & Wildlife Service
Ph: 02 9542 0618 - Fax 02 9542 1420

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would it be worthwhile adding a bit more material off to the side of the track to discourage people from moving what's currently there? I reckon putting in a bit of rock armouring/berm to that third photo could work. I'll wait until the next track day to have a proper look.:)

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Gotta say I think that its all actually holding up really well considering the inordinate amount of rain we've had. Agreed a bit more armouring is probably warranted in both sections we work on, just need to hit Grant up for more material next time we're out. I'm keen for the 18th and have emailed to say as much, reckon it would be a nice way to finish off the year. :)

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I'll see if I can tag along ... how early does this start ?? and for how long ?? (I think I only have a couple hours before Christmas Lunch)

I guess I should email and ask Grant.