NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Late notice, but it's on for this Saturday...

Hello All,

Just letting you know there will be a track work day this Saturday, meet at the office carpark on Farnell Ave at 9.00 if people want to start earlier they can, I’ll be around from 8.30.

We’ll do two or three hours work on the creek crossing sections where I’m told we’ve had a bit of erosion with the recent rains. I’m organising for some crushed sandstone to be delivered for building up problem areas.

I’ll provide a bbq lunch as well. Does anyone have any special food requirements? We’ll go down and use the new bbq facilities down at Audley so we’ll try to get down there around 12 to beat the crowds.

See you Saturday and if I don’t have great Christmas and New Year and thanks for all your help over the last year.

Cheers,

Grant Millar
Ranger
Royal Area
National Parks & Wildlife Service
Ph: 02 9542 0618 - Fax 02 9542 1420
See you guys there. I'm going to bring the trailer for a test if I don't try it out one afternoon this week.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We had a small group of 5 turn up but we got a lot done.

A few drains that had been put in previously were cleaned out to keep them functioning. They appeared to have worked brilliantly, keeping the track in much better condition than I expected it to be in after the heavy rains recently, but they had filled up with a bit of sand and leaf litter.

The major work was done on the S bend section before the creek crossing heading down from Loftus Oval. Where a drain had been put in after a berm, that drain was tidied up and the and widened with a rock put in place to guide riders in the preferred direction. The dip leading into the berm was filled in a bit and a significant grade reversal and drain were put in just before the berm. A lot of large rocks, smaller aggregate and loose fill were used to build it up and with a bit of rain and packing down through riding it should work really well. It rides nicely up and down already but might need a bit more fill once it has packed down a bit.

We finished off with a great bbq and had a chat for a while.

One issue that was raised during building was the community support for trail maintenance days. Of the 5 of us attending we had 4 who were at least 40 minutes travel time away, so not exactly local, and these were the same people that turn up to almost every maintenance day at Loftus. It would be nice for some locals or regular riders to attend. :)

Last edited:

metrics

Likes Bikes
Sounds like a productive day. If it wasn't for Christmas engagements, I would of been there.

See you in the New Year.

chica

Likes Dirt
Is January's maintenance day 15th or 22nd?

I've emailed Grant but thought someone on here may know.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My understanding is it is the 15th. I emailed Grant for a calendar with the volunteer dates but haven't heard back yet.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yesterday was something a little different. In an effort to be more organised this year we all got on our bikes and rode the typical mtb loop to identify areas in need of work throughout this year.

We took photos of sites we've previusly worked on and marked them with the GPS to use as erosion monitoring sites with the possibility of setting up markers at a later date to take physical measurements. A section requiring a reroute was looked at and a plan made to carefully mark out an appropriate track deviation so it can be constructed. Signage around the track was noted as being required or needing replacement.

So we have some decent ideas to be carried out throughout the year and we went for a ride with the Ranger looking after the project. Great stuff!

Cypher

Likes Dirt
I agree. It was an excellent and fun day.

...not that pushing wheelbarrows isn't fun too...

However I'd like to register a protest. If we ride past jumps and drops, we need to stop and have a play. You can't just blow on past like it doesn't exist!

chica

Likes Dirt
good start to the year. some pre planning will certainly ensure more productive maintenance days and also tracking the benefit of the work put in.
See you all on Saturday 19th Feb at 9am at the Rangers office :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trackwork this Saturday.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late invite, we will be running another trail maintenance day this Saturday. Bill Sullivan one of our most experience rangers will be taking you so you should get a decent morning tea for a change.

Because there is a organised event taking place on the fire trails between Heathcote and Engadine I was thinking we’d work around the Temptation Creek area doing some of the maintenance tasks on previous works we talked about last month i.e. filling and reinforcing the eroded culvert with pvc pipe that goes under the track just before the creek crossing, clearing and repairing drains, roughing up the surface on the wooden beams across the track, etc.

Hope you can make it, 9.00am at the car park on Farnell Ave.

Regards,
Grant Millar
Ranger
Royal Area - National Parks & Wildlife Service

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately I've got other commitments this morning, but have a good one and I'll be there with tools next month...

Jeff C

Squid
Hi all,
Happy to come down and learn/lend a hand, sent an email to Grant Millar a while back asking about being added to the volunteer list, what you need to bring (ie. is it bikes & riding gear or boots & shovels?) but never heard back.

Perhaps someone can post up the info on what you need to do to get involved, and what's involved in being involved?

Thanks!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Royal Reserves Draft PoM Pre-Draft Community Consultation

Those who signed on to be involved in the RNP Plan of Management consultation should have received the following email a whole ago...

Royal Reserves Draft Plan of Management
Pre-Draft Community Consultation

Thank you for registering your interest in participating in development of a revised Plan of Management for Royal National Park, Heathcote National Park and Garawarra State Conservation Area.

We have developed a simple website as a way of sharing information with you about the planning process and provide opportunities to get your feedback on issues and ideas for the plan.

You can find this website at: https://sites.google.com/site/royalreservesdraftpom

Two documents have been posted on this site that we would like your feedback on:

· Royal Reserves Statement of Values;
· Key Guiding Principles for Managing the Royal Reserves.

These documents have been developed as a way of stimulating feedback from you on what you value, or think is important, about these Reserves, and what you think should be the key priorities for management of these Reserves.

These documents are available to download from the website and we are asking for your feedback via the planning email address:

msw.planning@environment.nsw.gov.au

We will continue to alert you by email to new postings on the website and further opportunities to have your say.

Thank you for your interest in the Royal Reserves Plan of Management and we look forward to your feedback.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so were excatly is this trail , sounds awsome
Hi all,
Happy to come down and learn/lend a hand, sent an email to Grant Millar a while back asking about being added to the volunteer list, what you need to bring (ie. is it bikes & riding gear or boots & shovels?) but never heard back.

Perhaps someone can post up the info on what you need to do to get involved, and what's involved in being involved?

Thanks!
New volunteers are always welcome, so, how's this...

• If you would like to become involved in the Loftus mountainbike track maintenance days, contact Ranger Grant Millar using the following email address...

royal.volunteers@environment.nsw.gov.au

• The maintenance days are held on the 3rd Saturday of each month.

• The days start at 9am and usually run for 3 hours.

• The Ranger Station is located down Farnell Ave, in that little loop road next to the Royal National Park Station.

Map

• The RNP Rangers supply tools.

• There is often a ride around the area after the trackwork.

ORIGINAL POST BELOW

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181946

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who’s shown interest in becoming a part of a volunteer track work team for Royal NP. I’ve done some assessment of the track and noted the areas that need the most attention, mostly fixing up some drainage and erosion issues. Thanks to Ben and Elliot for already coming in and doing a bit veg clearing to improve sight lines and removing branches growing at head height.

I want to try and start the first official day on Saturday the 15th of August, we can have a chat about what needs to be done and Mountain biking in the park in general, hopefully get some work done as well. Once everyone’s comfortable in what we’re doing we’ll have a regular day planned maybe once a month, everyone will also be free to contact each other and organise the occasional unofficial bit of work yourselves if you get the urge.

I’ve attached the volunteer rego forms, you’ll need to fill these out and give them to me before you can start work, on the first day is fine. The forms will cover you for insurance purposes and also allow you to get your annual pass.

Let me know what you think about the 15th, I’m thinking 9.30 to 12.30. Fell free to tell anyone else that may be interested.

(Contact Grant Millar, 9542 0633)
Perhaps someone can include this in the first post to make things a bit easier for others who want to join in to find the info?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Extra early trail work day notification - 19th March

Greetings Trail Faithful,

Next Saturday is once again the third Saturday of the month, so it's your chance to put something back into your trails.

Last month we addressed some drainage issues on the southern end of the Temptation Creek singletrack section, improved trail conditions near the log roll over, and started trail corridor maintenance (ie. pruning) on the "Blair Witch" single track running from the rail line to Farnell Ave.

This month I'd like to focus on the single track between Heathcote and the back of Engadine Station. With the recent rains, plant growth has taken off and sections are becoming narrow and sight-lines badly obscured. I've got plenty of loppers, secateurs and saws, all I need now is some dedicated people to use them! Come along and enjoy the karmal glow (and tea and bikkies).

We can meet on the Park - eastern side - of Engadine station just walk over the footbridge. (see map below)

Please let me know if you can attend.

Thanks.

P.S. Thanks Bev for the literary contribution!

Grant Millar
Ranger
Royal Area - National Parks & Wildlife Service