NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I'll see you there ... although, the mundee rangers provide pancakes vs bickies... bah, I need to lose 5 kgs anywho.

ptc

Squid
2 of us turned up and did a bit of trimming near Engadine station before the rain got too heavy. It was easy to spot areas that needed drainage works !

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Wow, can't believe you even turned up Pete, considering the weather we had. Reckon we can get in touch with Grant and have another go at it before next month?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, can't believe you even turned up Pete, considering the weather we had. Reckon we can get in touch with Grant and have another go at it before next month?
I can't see it happening this weekend unless a ranger volunteered their time to supervise. I don't think their budget will allow for an extra weekend. It would be good if we could get the 'sign on and go out to do some trail work on our own' arrangement going.

Tracks

Hello

I was riding around Loftus the other day. And between the tram line and temptation creek there are some old overgrown tracks which I went down accidently. Are they on the cards for being cleaned up abit, or are the National Parks abit ify on making new tracks, or fixing up overgrown tracks in the park, because those tracks would be nice cleaned up.

Chris

dcrofty

Eats Squid
are the National Parks abit ify on making new tracks, or fixing up overgrown tracks in the park,
Yep pretty much. You should be aware that you could get in trouble by cycling on tracks closed to bikes too.

There is some good legal singletrack in the park though, swing past the visitors centre and grab a map and go for an explore.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From Ranger Grant

Hi all,

Next Saturday is another chance to get out and help keep your track network somewhere worth riding. Damien - who battled through a monsoonal downpour with Peter and Andrew last month – said there are sections of the track at the back of Engadine that are in need of work. The difficulty there is getting any soil material to the site, you pretty much have to work with what is there or can carry in. I’m open to suggestions, perhaps we can mark out the diversion we’ve talked about on the downhill section to the creek crossing?

Just be aware that the day may be called off if we get fine weather all next week. This is because there is a hazard reduction burn planned for next Saturday and all staff will be busy helping with that. However looking at the weather at the moment I’d say it will be too wet which means the track work day can go ahead.

Sorry to be a bit vague but I’ll confirm what’s happening as soon as I know. There is always the opportunity for the more dedicated amongst you to do some work without supervision, as long as I know where you’ll be and you weren’t creating new tracks or anything major.

I’ll be in touch later in the week with more information.

Cheers,

Grant Millar
Ranger
Royal Area - National Parks & Wildlife Service
Office of Environment & Heritage
Department of Premier & Cabinet
Ph: 02 9542 0618 - Fax 02 9542 1420

metrics

Likes Bikes
Saturday 16th April Postponed

For those who missed it, from Grant Millar:

Hi all,

Due to commitments with hazard reduction burns this weekend and the subsequent lack of staff we will not be able to have a supervised track work day this Saturday.

If anyone would still like to come in and do some minor works such as track trimming you can contact me and I’ll try to organise an impromptu session.

See you all next month hopefully.

Cheers,

Grant Millar​

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another cancellation...

Dear all
Staff will be pre-occupied with a Max Adventure event on Sat 21 and Sun 22 May this weekend in Royal Area. There is also a large-scale planting task at Waterfall from 9-12.30 Sat that will pre-occupy 1-2 Rangers and 1-2 Field officers so we will be unable to accompany, supervise or support the Mountain bike trail rehabilitation works that were scheduled for Sat morning. The route you would be looking to rehab is being used during the Max Adventure circuit so working in the vicinity may prove mutually unsafe for workers and riders alike.
If you would like to participate in the Waterfall planting event instead please contact me to be factored in for extra tools and morning tea items.
We apologise for inconveniencing you this month and hope to make up for it on Sat 18 June.
Please forward this email to any other MTB participants not on this list that I may have inadvertently missed - Grant Millar is away and I am unsure of the currency of other members e.g Grant Byrne, Greg Scott, Chris Little – thanks
Patsy Ross
Ranger, Royal Area

I reply to every email (Feb - injured, Mar - race, Apr - cancelled) after attending every one last year and January this year and they are worried i'm not interested!:confused:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Might be a good weekend for it

From Ranger Grant

Hi everyone,

Hope your all well, I’ve been away on leave for a month and hear the last track work day was called off due to lack of staff to help out.

It would be great to get together with everyone again this Saturday to resume our worthy cause. With the amount of rain lately I presume the track
works we’ve done in the past may require a bit of routine maintenance, veg clearing etc. I haven’t had a chance to get out and have a look myself but unless anyone knows of any urgent repairs needed elsewhere I suggest we meet up in the office car park at 9.00 weather permitting.

Hope to see you all there, weather permitting.

Cheers,

Grant Millar
Ranger
Royal Area - National Parks & Wildlife Service
Office of Environment & Heritage
Department of Premier & Cabinet
Ph: 02 9542 0618 - Fax 02 9542 1420

abevern

Likes Dirt
Weather looks like it's going to play ball with fine digging-weather forecast. I've only ridden the area once recently and there are undoubtedly heaps of spots that could have some attention.

The temptation creek singletrack section is marsh-like in the section where it's eroded below the groundwater level.

Personally I'd like to fix the massive standing water pools on the firetrail section that runs here . There are three firetrail-sized puddles in that section that stay wet for a long time. Those who worked on the firetrail/erosion ditch fix last year on the other side of Farnell Ave may've noticed that it's holding up very well.

There's heaps of pruning and smaller works too - so I'm happy to hear alternatives.

It'd be good if a few more of the 700 or so riders who'd "be willing to help maintain trails" in their NPWS responses showed up this time. :D

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't ridden out there since the January maintenance day!

I don't think the one day a month mtb trail maintenance days are best spent working on firetrails. It's a waste of labour when it could be done very quickly by NPWS using machinery for a day. Sure, I think it's good publicity for an mtb group to be working on a firetrail that is used by everyone, but it's not thebest use of the small group of mtber volunteer time. I think we'd be better off identifying those areas and recommending to NPWS how they can be fixed using similar methods as we used previously, especially when there is singletrack that needs work.

chica

Likes Dirt
hey guys
i'm still house hunting so Saturday's are taken up at the moment. I'm happy to do some pruning on Sunday - if you can let me know which sections require it and send me a PM. I'll email Grant to get his ok.
cheers
Montana