NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

JBR

Likes Dirt
I haven't ridden out there since the January maintenance day!

I don't think the one day a month mtb trail maintenance days are best spent working on firetrails. It's a waste of labour when it could be done very quickly by NPWS using machinery for a day. Sure, I think it's good publicity for an mtb group to be working on a firetrail that is used by everyone, but it's not thebest use of the small group of mtber volunteer time. I think we'd be better off identifying those areas and recommending to NPWS how they can be fixed using similar methods as we used previously, especially when there is singletrack that needs work.
I agree, however the sections identified see high traffic and need solutions put in place

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree, however the sections identified see high traffic and need solutions put in place
For sure. NPWS should be using their own labour to fix firetrails, especially when use by mtbers of these firetrails is not the prime purpose of them. There are plenty of areas of the singletrack mtb network needing work.

There are also other groups that get more than 1 day a month to work with NPWS on different things. The mtb track work team in recent times has been a small number of riders working on a track that is not local to most of them. Is fixing firetrails the best use of a valuable human resource like this?

abevern

Likes Dirt
I can see your point re valuable labour crank and I agree to an extent. I also agree that it'd be nice for NPWS to use their resources to do it, but I don't think that's a likely outcome (going on past experience).

From my perspective Loftus is a series of trails which I don't really differentiate single trail from firetrail. The level of technicality is similar and I basically ride all the main trails every time I ride there. For me that fire trail is part of a loop that has a fun section of single track that gets ridden frequently. The water there causes me as much grief as it does anywhere else, though obviously it's doing less in terms of trail widening/damage.

As I said, I'm happy to hear alternatives. We could start cutting in the diversion around the problem area on the Temptation Creek single track. I'm sort of over trying to fix the lower marshy section. We've expended 3 work days on it, and while it's definitely (much) better, it's not like it isn't crying out for more work (and a trailer load of dirt)

In any case, we won't have to travel far to find somewhere that could do with remediation.

Last edited:

abevern

Likes Dirt
hey guys
i'm still house hunting so Saturday's are taken up at the moment. I'm happy to do some pruning on Sunday - if you can let me know which sections require it and send me a PM. I'll email Grant to get his ok.
cheers
Montana
When I think pruning I think the single track sections between engadine rail and heathcote. Really, you could pick anywhere along there to do some good.

Good luck with the house hunting...

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are your contact details current?

Ranger Grant has asked for anyone interested in attending to contact him via email. Also, if you have attended in the past but do not currently receive notification from Grant and would like to know about the maintenance days again, please also email him. He has about 20 email addresses that bounce back.

Grant.Millar@environment.nsw.gov.au

We also got a stack of drainage put in or cleaned out today. Looking back a few pages aty some of the photos it's good to see that there appears to have been minimal erosion or damage to the tracks since previous works have been done.:)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From Ranger Grant

Hi all,

Sorry for the late notice but just a reminder that we have a track work day scheduled for this Saturday.

I’m going to get some good quality crushed sandstone dumped up at the northern top end of the single track, so any of those sites that need patching can be done. Or would it be better to have some dumped next to the railway tracks as well?

Patsy will be taking you so at least you’ll get a decent morning tea for a change.

There is preliminary discussion taking place of holding some sort of mtb event in Royal in October. This event would be to promote the release of the new NPWS MTB Policy and Sustainable Mountain Bike Strategy. So have a think and give Patsy any ideas you may have for an event whether funded or unfunded - we’re not sure of the level of funding support at this stage. This can be a promotional day for yourselves as the Track Maintenance crew, a rider training/education day or maybe a small scale ride event of some sort. The focus would be on promotion and education to the wider community so a hard core event is less likely to happen unless it has a family type element to it. We are still sorting out the details so just throw a few ideas at us at this stage.

Meet at the Royal office carpark at 9.00.

Cheers,

Grant MIllar
Ranger - Royal Area
Metro South-West Region
National Parks & Wildlife Service
Tel: 02 9542 0618 Fax: 02 9542 1420

metrics

Likes Bikes
I was planning on being there tomorrow but I found out today that I have to work. I'm a bit disappointed as this is going to be my last chance for a while as I expect that my very pregnant wife won't be anymore by the time the next one rolls around. So I might be missing out for a long while.

Good luck with it.

Byron

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice work yesterday, with a decent turnout and possibly even one local (sorry Chris I don't know where you travel from)! A massive section rock armoured, drainage cleaned up and some potential new stuff explored.

abevern

Likes Dirt
Yeh - it was a great turnout considering the weather. The day felt very productive - I've put together a time-lapse of the rock armouring work, and will post it up on some video hosting service if anyone is interested.

metrics

Likes Bikes
Very good video and some nice trailwork there. It seems that you even had some actual materials to work with! :eek:

abevern

Likes Dirt
Very good video and some nice trailwork there. It seems that you even had some actual materials to work with! :eek:
Thanks. We did actually remark at the time that having rock makes such a difference. It was all pilfered from previous worksites in this instance, but I think prior to the next day we may be in receipt of some more rock.
It'll be interesting to see how it holds up to this rain. As Crank mentioned, other works included clearing and reshaping drains along most of the Temptation Creek singletrack, which was obviously a good use of time given the recent weather.

I've still got the time lapse from the June workday, I'll see if I can perform a little more post-production on that and get that on vimeo in the coming week.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Right then. Have finally managed to beat vimeo into submission. For your viewing pleasure Loftus Trail Maintenance - Rock Armour. (fixed)
That's awesome, nice work Bev.

That bloke in the yellow shirt is pretty useless though, I'd get rid of him, just stands and points the whole time.

My computer and decided to hide the location of my photos from the day from me, if I manage to wring them out of it I'll post them.