NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

abevern

Likes Dirt
Almost a carbon copy of last month. Small but enthusiastic group (including a new face) tidied up 5 separate sites along the Blair Witch single track. The final site was beyond remediation in the remaining time but we have a plan for next time. In the interim we were reduced to rearranging the mud. I have time lapse footage of some of the work sites - will post as soon as I tidy it up and title it.
Overall though it was a very productive day - and not a drop of rain.

abevern

Likes Dirt
14 Days Later...

Well that didn't take long, just added some titles and bingo...
(anyone who's spent hours in front of the little snail that says "Rendering video..." knows my pain)
[video=vimeo;31367365]http://vimeo.com/31367365[/video]

FYI - I had 3 sites, but the middle one I left out as Pete did all the work, but of course the camera only turns up with me to do some finishing touches, so had missed the bulk of it. Unfortunately I didn't film the mud-rearranging site - which is a real pity. Anyway - at least its better than last months (video) effort.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Comment in the Plan of Management for Royal National park

Royal National Park, Heathcote National Park and Garawarra State Conservation Area Plan of Management

I am contacting you as you have previously expressed an interest in the revision of the Royal National Park, Heathcote National Park and Garawarra State Conservation Area Plan of Management.

I would like to alert you to two opportunities to have input into the development of the Draft Plan of Management for these Reserves.

Public consultation ‘Drop-in’ sessions will be held at Helensburgh and Engadine in the coming weeks.

Saturday 12 November 2011 from 10am – 4 pm at Helensburgh Community Hall

Tuesday 15 November 2011 from 2.30pm – 6.30 pm Engadine Community Hall

Please come along at any time during these sessions, view maps and information and have a chat to staff. All your comments and suggests will be recorded and will inform the development of the Draft Plan of Management. Any queries please call 9542 0632.

Please tell your friends!

You can view further information, including some ‘talking points’ at:

https://sites.google.com/site/royalreservesdraftpom

Don’t forget:
· you can provide comments or submissions at any time via the planning email address: msw.planning@environment.nsw.gov.au

· you will also have an opportunity to comment on the completed Draft Plan in 2012.

Thank you for your interest in the Plan of Management and we look forward to seeing you in Helensburgh or Engadine.

We will continue to alert you by email to new postings on the website and further opportunities to have your say. If you do not wish to be contacted any further, or wish to update your contact details, please advise us by email at the above address.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A surprisingly similar post to the other thread! :p

One of the 'talking points' is...

A range of opportunities are provided for recreational cycling. What do think about current provisions for cycling in the parks, including mountain biking?

It would be worth commenting on.

From the original NPWS forums I recall one of the rangers/managers mentioning that mtbing could be a good option for Garawarra State Conservation Area. Is anyone familiar with the area and able to comment on it's suitability for mtbing, particularly singletrack?

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Royal National Park, Heathcote National Park and Garawarra State Conservation Area Plan of Management

Tuesday 15 November 2011 from 2.30pm – 6.30 pm Engadine Community Hall

[.
Hell yeah I am off work tuesday and ill be at engadine to to drop my 2c worth!:clap2:

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Hell yeah I am off work tuesday and ill be at engadine to to drop my 2c worth!:clap2:

Do it.

There was a very strong presence from mountain bikers at Helensburgh today. Probably the most represented user group or at least on par with the shackies.

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
With the increase of traffic at Loftus now that menai is off limits, what are peoples opinions on the idea of making the single tracks one direction?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With the increase of traffic at Loftus now that menai is off limits, what are peoples opinions on the idea of making the single tracks one direction?
I would hate to see Loftus become a directional trail network.

What would be good though, especially with the increase in traffic now that Menai is off limits, is if a few more locals turned up to the maintenance days. With that said, I won't be able to drive the 80+km to get to this weekends maintenance day. :)

metrics

Likes Bikes
Another weekend, another wedding and therefore another missed track maintenance opportunity (not to mention the post-work ride).

As for the suggestion for directional trails, my thoughts are that directional trails won't work particularly well because:
  1. The RNP has a fair share of punters who would just ignore any one way trail signage. That and people stopping all the time in ridculous areas makes it a place where you just have to be a bit more careful.
  2. There really isn't that many single track trails in the area and limiting direction will reduce the number of variations of routes and therefore effective riding distance.
  3. The bike trails can and are used regularly by walkers, so they need to be ridden accordingly. Making them single direction will only encourage behaviour that assumes no-one is coming the other way.
  4. Some trails have features that are good in both directions, for example the rocks on the Temptation Creek single track are good going down and a bit of technical riding going back up.

My guess is fixing sight lines would eliminate a lot of the near collisions.

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
I would hate to see Loftus become a directional trail network.

What would be good though, especially with the increase in traffic now that Menai is off limits, is if a few more locals turned up to the maintenance days. With that said, I won't be able to drive the 80+km to get to this weekends maintenance day. :)
I can assure you, if I didn't work Saturdays I would have and would continue to be at every maintenance day.

I only bring up the direction idea as I almost killed myself the other day. Completely my fault, too fast, not paying attention etc...

The possibility of collisions there has always concerned me.
But I can fully appreciate how controlling directions would limit "loop" options.

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Another wedding for me this week end also. I take my hat of to the hard workers that maintain this trail your hard work is appreciated!:clap2:

I would be in favour of a single direction however another cons of this is:

• Around loftus ommiting fire trail there is mostly only one single trail so it would need another single track looping back in a different direction(s) to make this single direction idea work.
  • Without an additional new single trail looping back the loftus part of the track would get very boring very quickly ridden in one direction.

I like currently being able to ride the trail in both drections as the single track is a portion is a bit limited compared to other trail networks. riding it in both directions mixxes it up a bit makes it more fun!

I like the RNP and respect the volonteers hard work who maintain it. But this is my only criticsm of the RNP trail network the single track portions are a bit limited compared to other trail networks I have ridden on.

I am sure there is room for sustainable expansion of the trail network that would include a single direction trail loop network that would compliment both the RNP objectives for the managment of flora and fauna and the needs and requirements of MTB riders.

I can assure you, if I didn't work Saturdays I would have and would continue to be at every maintenance day.

I only bring up the direction idea as I almost killed myself the other day. Completely my fault, too fast, not paying attention etc...

But I can fully appreciate how controlling directions would limit "loop" options.

gbowen444

Likes Dirt

For Proof of what Nikmcc is talking about....

[video=youtube;24mUYXTX0Ig]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24mUYXTX0Ig[/video]

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
If you look at the vid in slow mo and pause it, it looks like the crasher was still looking down at the trail and may not have noticed the oncoming rider. It looks like his front wheel sinks into some sand at the exit of the corner (possibly with the help of last-minute panic braking); I suspect this is what causes the crash, not the guy filming.

That being said, I have NEARLY crashed into other riders a few times over the years, but agree better sight lines is the way to go rather than limiting track options.

gbowen444

Likes Dirt
If you look at the vid in slow mo and pause it, it looks like the crasher was still looking down at the trail and may not have noticed the oncoming rider. It looks like his front wheel sinks into some sand at the exit of the corner (possibly with the help of last-minute panic braking); I suspect this is what causes the crash, not the guy filming.

That being said, I have NEARLY crashed into other riders a few times over the years, but agree better sight lines is the way to go rather than limiting track options.
I assure you he had seen me. this is filmed with a GoPro which has an extremely wide angle lense. In reality he was much closer to me than it appears on film. This crash happened because he saw me and I think if he hadn't crashed he would have been lucky to stop in time.

rotorub

Likes Dirt
I agree the vid shows something needs to be done around the narrower parts of the loftus trail. Maybe the compromise we need is a paralell path running oposite ways in dangerous sections like this?

Do it.

There was a very strong presence from mountain bikers at Helensburgh today. Probably the most represented user group or at least on par with the shackies.
I went along to the Engadine session yesterday & gave them my 2c worth. There was only me and another MTBer at the time I was there. I asked what other groups have presented ideas apparently alot of submissons from boaties about boat ramp access.

They gave me a pamphlet with an email address and recomend I make a submission of my MTB ideas. Was anyone else asked to do this?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree the vid shows something needs to be done around the narrower parts of the loftus trail. Maybe the compromise we need is a paralell path running oposite ways in dangerous sections like this?

I went along to the Engadine session yesterday & gave them my 2c worth. There was only me and another MTBer at the time I was there. I asked what other groups have presented ideas apparently alot of submissons from boaties about boat ramp access.

They gave me a pamphlet with an email address and recomend I make a submission of my MTB ideas. Was anyone else asked to do this?
A second track is never going to happen. It's taken about a year, possibly more, to get approval for a 200m reroute. I'm not sure if it has actually been approved yet.

I was asked if I was on the mailing list already.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For Proof of what Nikmcc is talking about....
I have had plenty of those stacks in my time, probably worse and more unco than this one, but I do not think it shows the track is dangerous. There is plenty of room to pass and it is a flat track.

willsy01

Eats Squid
I'm out there 4 or 5 times a week and have never really had any close calls.....have met people coming the other way, but if you're looking far enough ahead (as you should be!) there's plenty of time to stop. Same goes with climbing out....I tend to listen as hard as I can for any chain slapping noises coming the other way and look as far ahead as I can.