trailer ideas

crispy

Likes Bikes
here ya go guys, just a rough sketch of my trailer!
just painted the front section today, just gottta cut and weld the C section for the back and its finished!!!!

so photos won't be too far away!

OH also spinner if you read this, on your trailer i noticed what looks like inner tubes! is this what holds your bikes down? if yes how good is it, as i'm thinking about doing that also! (inner tube - hooks on ends??)

Attachments

m0ntague

Likes Dirt
Here's a pic of my trailer.

Dad welded it up from steel, it takes 5 bikes and just bolts into the trailer.
To put the bike in just take off the front wheel, then put the bike on the rack and attach the forks to the holders, using either quick release or thru axle ( the thru axle attachment is just 20mm pipe for the axle to slide into). The rear wheel then just sits in the grove at the back of each section.

This rack works really well, the bikes don't move around at all and there perfectly safe. We've taken them up to Stromlo and back with out any problems (over 400km round trip).

I hope this has helped.

Attachments

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats how mine was built , but we scored an old caravan chassis for $50. Its the 6th pic in post number 5 above , the black 5 bike trailer.

Keep the total weight under 250kgs , that will make rego cheaper.
Thanks for the tips!

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
here ya go guys, just a rough sketch of my trailer!
just painted the front section today, just gottta cut and weld the C section for the back and its finished!!!!

so photos won't be too far away!

OH also spinner if you read this, on your trailer i noticed what looks like inner tubes! is this what holds your bikes down? if yes how good is it, as i'm thinking about doing that also! (inner tube - hooks on ends??)
Yep , old inner tubes are the go. Cheap (free) and who hasn't got a dozen or so dead tubes laying around. I tied them to the mesh floor then you loop them over and around the seat a couple of times. Haven't lost a bike yet.

/\ No probs Whitey :)

gbar

Likes Bikes
wood

Where is grip when you need him?? You will need welder and something to cut metal if you wanna do anything.
Actually if you use excalibers idea you can rig the whole thing up with timber, saw some angles, a few nails and you're done. two by four is the coolest, and available to anyone, even those without welding skills.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Actually if you use excalibers idea you can rig the whole thing up with timber, saw some angles, a few nails and you're done. two by four is the coolest, and available to anyone, even those without welding skills.
Yeah, even though most people do you use metal I've see some people who have just used wood instead, It works just as well but you'd have to keep the trailer undercover when not in use otherwise the wood might rot.

crispy

Likes Bikes
Alright for anyone thats still interested, here's the photos of my new trailer rack!!

was given the trailer because of the poor condition and got all the scrap metal from around the house, used my dodgey welding skills to hold it together, Total cost $16 for 2 cans of paint!

holds 4 bikes nicely (2 forward 2 back)
just going to use old inner tubes with hooks on to hold the bikes down!
should be quick and easy for shuttle runs!

any comments positive or negative will be appreciated!

Attachments

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The only problem with Excalibur's design is that you have to ensure that the wheel holders are nice and low for the back end of the bikes. A mate has a trailer like that and if you don't put the bikes in in a certain way you can mince your rear derailleur.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alright for anyone thats still interested, here's the photos of my new trailer rack!!

was given the trailer because of the poor condition and got all the scrap metal from around the house, used my dodgey welding skills to hold it together, Total cost $16 for 2 cans of paint!

holds 4 bikes nicely (2 forward 2 back)
just going to use old inner tubes with hooks on to hold the bikes down!
should be quick and easy for shuttle runs!

any comments positive or negative will be appreciated!
haha, that is the spitting image of the trailer im getting for free too.
How do you keep the back down? Thats the design i wanted.

yoda

Likes Bikes
OK, I knocked up mine yesterday...
No photos at the moment, camera is at the shop getting fixed but:

I've kinda used excalibur's idea but added to it.
Trailer holds 5 bikes, locked in with a padlock (once loaded the bikes cant come off unless you remove the front axle) and the best bit?
NO STRAPS/TUBES AT ALL!! And no scratches on cranks!
I've worked it out so both wheels are locked into the trailer with the frame at each end.. The front is hinged so you open it, load bikes, close it and drive away! Kinda hard to explain, but i'll put up photos as soon as the camera comes back.

Last edited:

crispy

Likes Bikes
haha, that is the spitting image of the trailer im getting for free too.
How do you keep the back down? Thats the design i wanted.
Alrighty whitey,

the rear frame has 2 bolts going through the side of the tray,
then on each side of the C section there is 8mm holes drilled so I can use more inner tube tie downs with hooks!
Probably won't need all the straps on for short distances, therefore ideal for shuttles = more time riding, less time loading bikes!

Thought about the axle idea with quick release skewers, but reckon I'm too impatient! looks like it would work really well though!

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alrighty whitey,

the rear frame has 2 bolts going through the side of the tray,
then on each side of the C section there is 8mm holes drilled so I can use more inner tube tie downs with hooks!
Probably won't need all the straps on for short distances, therefore ideal for shuttles = more time riding, less time loading bikes!

Thought about the axle idea with quick release skewers, but reckon I'm too impatient! looks like it would work really well though!
No DH bikes use skewers so that ideas out, but it does work very well for XC bikes.
Ill see what this trailer is like when i get it, if the bottom is rusted ill convert it to a shuttle specific trailer.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As seen below i have some rust problems, what would you advise I do?
Its not too bad structurally and it still works, should I rip it apart and use the structure to build a shutle specific trailer?
What kinds of things of things do they look at in for rego?

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Non shuttle trailer ideas needed

Grave dig assist...

I have a 7 x 4 high side box trailer that I want to set up for carrying 3-4 bikes at the height of the lip of the trailer, leaving the box for gear. I'm thinking mainly of holidays with family when I have to take gear for wifey and 3 kids, including all their bikes, while also taking my bikes (you can't go on holidays with only 1 bike, right?!).

The obvious thing is to do is make a timber lid or frame (pine & ply) that slots into the top of the trailer, that has quick release skewer mounts bolted onto it. Some sort of slot for rear wheel with ability to strap said wheel down. I'm leaning toward the lid approach as this makes trailer weather proof and secure.

1. Anyone done anything like this?
2. Anyone add to my idea?
3. Anyone suggest something completely different?
4. Anyone have a way of constructing a fork mount on the cheap (the shop ones add up when you're looking at 3-4)

PS: have searched a bunch of trailer threads inc this one, and the focus is all on shuttling. If you can point me to something I've missed please do, cheers.

jsbighit

Likes Dirt
As seen below i have some rust problems, what would you advise I do?
Its not too bad structurally and it still works, should I rip it apart and use the structure to build a shutle specific trailer?
What kinds of things of things do they look at in for rego?

sandblast and a new coat of paint mate she'll look brand new if the sandblaster blows holes through the steel you'll know to replace that panel