Training and Timing

Hi Everyone.

I have been enjoying a few DH events lately and I am looking to improve my results.

I would like to start timing runs in order to hone technique, lines, etc. I have been looking at timing systems, but all I have found are event timing systems. I need something far less complicated as I will only be timing one rider, well maybe up to five guys. Is there anything out there between Freelap and Strava?

I just want to time a few runs to see what's faster, a very simple system

Cheers

faulko

Likes Dirt
Hi Everyone.

I have been enjoying a few DH events lately and I am looking to improve my results.

I would like to start timing runs in order to hone technique, lines, etc. I have been looking at timing systems, but all I have found are event timing systems. I need something far less complicated as I will only be timing one rider, well maybe up to five guys. Is there anything out there between Freelap and Strava?

I just want to time a few runs to see what's faster, a very simple system

Cheers

Um you never heard of Strava?

Do a slow run first to set the start and finish markers then go hell for leather.

Yes you can do stages aswell. Great for timing small section.

Just stop and hit finish then start again. I don't know the minimum distance the gps picks up but I'd say you could split at least every 5mtrs.

Buy a Strava gps unit or free d/load to mobile, I use it with iPhone not sure it's avail on android thou.

Set up an acc and review on PC when you login. It's pretty handy.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC

Klips

Likes Dirt
Gopro runs could also be very useful, as you can do total run time as well as point-to-point without using Strava. If you're shooting 120FPS that's P2P to the nearest hundredth of a second, which is pretty damn accurate. It'll be a bit shit to line up the relevant frames, but hey, it's an option.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
He clearly asked if there was anything out there other than Strava...
Nope between freelap and Strava.... I second Strava. If you want easy to setup and use with your own segments this hard to beat, just have a decent gps unit like a garmin and your set. I currently don't have a decent GPS unit so am relegated to iPhone but for training it's simple and works.

Second way would be video confirmation of times using the video time code. Think gopro or similar. It might take a bit of time but you can see side by side the lines your taking and the times for comparison.

Sent by courier pigeon

T-Rex

Template denier
We have tried a few different methods over the years, Gopro is the best balance of convenience and accuracy, plus you get to review your lines.

If you are going to use a Sportcount get the yellow one.

Strava isn't accurate enough for section timing.

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
+ for go pro or a standard button start stop on the bars. simple and probably as accurate as you will get to the second.
timing runs is good for line choice on a given day and suspension/bike set up. But due to the variance in track conditions and even your daily condition It can be slightly hit and miss on some days time wise. I definitely say do it its a great addition to your training.

Another great way is to set up a go pro in one position and ride that section on your two or three lines, If you over lay that footage you can see which is faster ( if the camera remains in the same spot with no movement this is easy) Or you can just watch side by side, you do the same for the next section (making sure you ride the previous section lines too as the exit of this section dictates the entry to the next one) you can get a good idea of which lines link up better, sometimes going slower in one section ends up with a faster next section and that might be the best bet over all.

Like this.[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/news/MTB-Sports-Video-Analysis-2013.html[/video]

I will note though if you are set on improving your times the best thing you can do is hit the gym and work on cardio and strength, been either in the gym or at home lets you train in a controlled environment and will drastically improve your riding and training effectiveness. This does mean you need to do a personal assessment of where your weaknesses lie and may need to do some reading into how to train and at times means going a bit easier or slower at first. Fitness usually sees a big jump in times for riders, even a average skilled rider with top fitness will out ride a brilliant rider with poor fitness because once your tired that skill is useless, you make mistakes and you cant pedal or keep speed. We even see this at the wc level, riders who put in the times are rewarded even if they are not the most naturally skilled. The other benefit is that the longer it takes for you to fatigue the longer you can spend on the track for skills and lines without letting fatigue hurt you. So you can train more on the trail.

If you are set on improving times get the all clear from your doctor and than see the appropriate people to help you at least initially to ensure you're training right and safety.

Last edited:

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
I used to just hang a stop watch around my neck, start it just before I go off, and stop it once I hit the bottom, minus a few seconds to account for starting/stopping

Cheers for all the suggestions.

I will look into some kind of bar mounted stopwatch, or modify something. Yes I know that fitness and strength will always improve times, I am training in that area.
I cannot speak highly enough of improving one's core strength.
This avenue is about separating a fast run from one that feels fast. ie: how loose can I get before I lose precious seconds?

driftking

Wheel size expert
Surely free lap would be best?
Arguably, well its going to be awesome, but its also going to cost you a lot of money. For a bar timer you can get pretty accurate to 1-2seconds, which for most of us that is going to be plenty accurate enough. Also another issue with freelap is if you are using a public trail, you put a lot of trust in other riders to leave your pole alone and not steal it to move it.

Cheers for all the suggestions.

I will look into some kind of bar mounted stopwatch, or modify something. Yes I know that fitness and strength will always improve times, I am training in that area.
I cannot speak highly enough of improving one's core strength.
This avenue is about separating a fast run from one that feels fast. ie: how loose can I get before I lose precious seconds?
strength and fitness :thumb: good to hear its covered.

Core strength is such a big debate in the fitness section so Ill leave that alone But if you are interested head on over and have a read of the threads.
You can tell you are a racer, its all about the clock not the feel.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Handlebar mounted stop watch would have to be the cheapest and easiest option to time your runs, probably doesn't help with sectors though! :p I have competed in some races with some pretty bad timing setup and I'm sure a stopwatch would've been more accurate!

For the people suggesting Strava as an accurate tool have you done 2 or 3 laps of the same track on a ride an noticed how inaccurate it tracks your position? I ride with a couple of surveyors and they laugh at how bad the GPS data is on Strava - sure it's a good thing for free but highly accurate it is not!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Handlebar mounted stop watch would have to be the cheapest and easiest option to time your runs, probably doesn't help with sectors though! :p I have competed in some races with some pretty bad timing setup and I'm sure a stopwatch would've been more accurate!

For the people suggesting Strava as an accurate tool have you done 2 or 3 laps of the same track on a ride an noticed how inaccurate it tracks your position? I ride with a couple of surveyors and they laugh at how bad the GPS data is on Strava - sure it's a good thing for free but highly accurate it is not!
I laugh at how Burners make these kinds of statements, the guy wants to improve his times and get faster on the DH bike, not do the timing for a bike race. As a training tool it will track that, maybe not accurately but enough for him to see personal gains.

+1 for Freeo's suggestion of this: http://www.drcproducts.com/timer/d60-01-000/index.html

Then combine the X-Monitor, Strava and a GoPro (if you have one) and you should be able to cover all your bases.

scblack

Leucocholic
I laugh at how Burners make these kinds of statements, the guy wants to improve his times and get faster on the DH bike, not do the timing for a bike race. As a training tool it will track that, maybe not accurately but enough for him to see personal gains.

+1 for Freeo's suggestion of this: http://www.drcproducts.com/timer/d60-01-000/index.html

Then combine the X-Monitor, Strava and a GoPro (if you have one) and you should be able to cover all your bases.
For DH use Strava is completely utterly useless.

I use Strava on the roadie and for rides longer than 10minutes I'll accept Strava accuracy. Under that time, a waste of effort.

I'd question the GoPro usefulness for timing DH training. You want to try a section and quickly guage its time. Then try a different line or approach and see how that translates into time. Having to go to a computer, download the files, time the section and THEN see how the different line equates means you may lose track of what you were changing. BUT I guess it can give a real time picture for time on a section. Depends how you want to do your training/comparing times.

scblack

Leucocholic
Shimano use to do a bar mounted stop watch with stop start button near the gear lever

sportcount chrono 100 would be easy enough to adapt http://www.sportcount.com/products.php?category_id=1
I used to have one of the Shimano ones, but smashed it in the crash I managed to break my back.

I reckon I will buy one of those SportCount VeloX timers. Just whats needed. (Seeing as I don't race any more I desperately need to time DH runs.......)

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I'd question the GoPro usefulness for timing DH training. You want to try a section and quickly guage its time. Then try a different line or approach and see how that translates into time. Having to go to a computer, download the files, time the section and THEN see how the different line equates means you may lose track of what you were changing. BUT I guess it can give a real time picture for time on a section. Depends how you want to do your training/comparing times.
Think more along the lines of, film it and watch is later that day/evening (That's what the pros do). But in truth you can actually play it back now via your smart phone so you could potentially view it on the trail.

Strava can be used for all sorts of stuff, not just timing. Hence why I suggested combining all three!

scblack

Leucocholic
Think more along the lines of, film it and watch is later that day/evening (That's what the pros do). But in truth you can actually play it back now via your smart phone so you could potentially view it on the trail.

Strava can be used for all sorts of stuff, not just timing. Hence why I suggested combining all three!
That sounds all good. :thumb:

My GoPro is an older one so smart phone loads are not possible.

I like the timer ability to on-the-spot guage timing differences in trying different lines and stuff. Analysing loads later that day/night is a perfectly good but different approach.