Training for 10 day / 1,000km tour

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I've just committed to ride WA's Munda Biddi track with a few mates in September 2014. Plan is to tackle the 1,000km+ track in 10 days, at up to 150km a day, with a support crew organising tents and food at a campsite each day to avoid carrying much gear.

I rode the first section (~330km) over 5 days in 2008 with minimal training, doing a longest day of 105km. Since then, have been on the bike only 4 times and nothing at all since mid 2012, so I have absolutely no fitness at all (age 34, 6'4", 100kg official couch potstoe).

Any suggestions on a basic program to build up fitness over the next 15 months, and also what sort of weekly training load I'll need to build up to prior to the trip?

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/training/training.php would be a pleace to start, use the links on the left to work your way through the info. That'll get you up to 5:30hrs on a bike in prep for 100km days. Use the same schedule and just increase the length of your riding to match your 150km days.

I would be disappointed with doing Mundi in such a short time and so many kms a day. You'd miss out on all the side single track stuff in and around the towns on the way through.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/training/training.php would be a pleace to start, use the links on the left to work your way through the info. That'll get you up to 5:30hrs on a bike in prep for 100km days. Use the same schedule and just increase the length of your riding to match your 150km days.

I would be disappointed with doing Mundi in such a short time and so many kms a day. You'd miss out on all the side single track stuff in and around the towns on the way through.
Thanks for the info, that's great.

Don't really have time to take any longer doing it, and my main motivation is the challenge of completing the track rather than a desire to experience everything in and around the track. Plenty of chances to do shorter rides on the track in the future.