Training for multi-day races

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
The Cape to Cape was this last weekend over in the West and after doing the 35km version of the Dwellingup100 a couple of months ago, it's something I'd like to try and enter next year
While I am in shape, that shape is approaching spherical so I need to work on my riding fitness
Other than getting out and riding (and hopefully sorting my diet out!), are there any other considerations for preparing for this?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've done a few multi day stage races and several remote all day epic races (Flinders 205km)

Reliable and tested equipment is top of the list, dont change parts the day before a race and use the food that you use on a normal ride.

Too many times I have hit the start line with other likeminded riders just to find they have pulled out with the shits, cramps, upset stomach, vomiting etc... later finding out as a special race treat, they have headed to their local or online and bought themselves a load of expensive 'special race treat' gels, energy drink and bars that has run the guts out of them and made them sick mid race.

Drink your normal drink and eat what you eat normally mid ride. If you are going to introduce some race food, try and test it long before race day.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Strength training would help with overall endurance due to the use of other muscle groups not strictly considered riding muscles. While i don't do anything like racing, I've found the other exercises i do helped my riding comfort immensely when they became consistent. Consequently also found strength training legs did more for my riding than more riding in a shorter time (squats etc).

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I've done a few multi day stage races and several remote all day epic races (Flinders 205km)

Reliable and tested equipment is top of the list and and use the food that you use on a normal ride. Too many times I have hit the start line with other likeminded riders just to find they have pulled out with the shits, cramps, upset stomach, vomiting etc... Just to find out as a special race treat, they have headed to their local or online and bought themselves a load of expensive 'special race treat' gels, energy drink and bars that has run the guts out of them and made them sick mid race.

Drink your normal drink and eat what you eat normally mid ride. If you are going to introduce some race food, try and test it long before race day.
I got through 35km of the Dwelly on a couple of Clif bars and a gel (which are bloody horrible), so I think the race day nutrition I can sort out pretty easily
I've got my roadie for some cross training as thats probably a quicker way to get a semblance of cycling fitness back, along with the Kickr Snap I'm trying in vain to sell... Might be time to bust that out again

Strength training would help with overall endurance due to the use of other muscle groups not strictly considered riding muscles. While i don't do anything like racing, I've found the other exercises i do helped my riding comfort immensely when they became consistent. Consequently also found strength training legs did more for my riding than more riding in a shorter time (squats etc).
Hmm, hadn't considered that. I do love a good leg day - squats are something I can do, as are deadlifts. Bench can EAD though.

ozzybmx

Clif bars and a gel (which are bloody horrible)
Blueberry Crisp Clif bars are my #1 ride food along with Torq Rhubarb & Custard energy gels. The Torq Raspberry Ripple gels are a close second.

Anything with Guarana in it gives me the actual shizz within an hour.

I only use gels for long races, never on a ride. Though will knock back a Clif bar on longer rides.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Hmm, hadn't considered that. I do love a good leg day - squats are something I can do, as are deadlifts. Bench can EAD though.
I think there's a vid of richie rudes routine somewhere and its pretty grueling. Don't just focus on legs though. Arms, shoulders, back would all be useful even if you hate bench, but give bench another go. Just drop the weight, focus on form and go to failure. Before you know it, you'll be upping weight and enjoying it. If you get weird pains in any of this, don't ignore them, look them up and address the form, do the right stretches to avoid injury pre race. Recently learned a 20 sec stretch of a tendon down my forearm immediately resolved wrist pain from barbell curls due to the way the wrist supinates as a result of using a bar.

In any case, i found the difference to my ride noticeable inside of two weeks of 3-4 45/60min sessions a week. Was a great motivator to keep going.

Edit -

and

worth a watch. if i recall the benefit of the various exercises are well explained in context to mtb/racing

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Best damn flavoured gel you can get
Even in the middle of the Simpson Desert, cooking all day in your back pocket at upwards of 50°C, they taste like warm pudding from heaven :)

Been a while since I had one as a coupe of young racers in my house devoured the last box.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
If you're not within about 5%of elite times then don't waste your time doing anything other than riding your bike more.

Ride it every day if you can.
Does this still apply if I’m entering a Ironman Triathlon?

Those guys are nuts. 3.9km swim, 108km ride, 42km run inside 16 hours.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
If you're not within about 5%of elite times then don't waste your time doing anything other than riding your bike more.

Ride it every day if you can.
Nah. Even if you're not elite, the point isnt for getting an edge, you do it because it's good for you, reduces your injury rate and improves your riding comfort in ways that just riding more doesn't.

Each to their own though.

Last edited:

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've done 2 Cape Epics and the Haute Route Iron ride (Haute Route Pyrenees and Alps back to back - each week is around 900km road biking with about 30 000m climbing).

Was definitely not anywhere near the front of the pack and all I did to prepare was try ride a lot, prioritizing big back to back days. For Haute Route I was doing just over 500km a week, mostly on the road bike.

Mentally these events can be super tough. After the hardest day of your life knowing that you have to get up in the morning and do it all again, or even a harder day is really taxing. Just taking it a day at a time and let the day unfold without stressing unnecessarily is key.

The Haute Route was so hard it somewhat 'cured' me of cycling...I've never really gotten back into doing endurance events like I used to love!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
The Haute Route was so hard it somewhat 'cured' me of cycling...I've never really gotten back into doing endurance events like I used to love!
I was "cured" of rock climbing after going for my skydiving license. Fucking hate heights now.

It's disappointing how this works. Condolences.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just get some big days under your belt, but agree with the others, off bike exercises can make a massive difference on long rides. I've found a strong core to be of most benefit for endurance rides.
But definitely a strong upper body makes a big difference for single trail/gravity mtb.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what I have heard, Cape to Cape is not tough( technical) in terms of a MTB stage race.

What you are doing now could certainly help although a much more focused 3 month program leading into the race would be easier to stick to. It’s a lot easier to be motivated for 12 weeks than an entire year - something we know you struggle with!

Get friendly with your road bike and start doing long rides, be comfortable on your bike for 3-4 hours at a time for now.