Training for multi-day races

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
But definitely a strong upper body makes a big difference for single trail/gravity mtb.
This. I hate doing non-enjoyable exercise, but made an effort a while back to start doing push-ups regularly. Made a massive difference to my riding - not for my riding ability sadly, but at least in preventing fatigue and having more strength (and therefore control & confidence) through rocks and hard compressions. Surprisingly it also helped with almost eliminating any on-bike lower back pain, suppose it did somewhat help strengthen my core - but I suspect mostly it meant I wasn't over-using my back muscles trying to hold myself upright because of a weak upper body.

Last edited:

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
This. I hate doing non-enjoyable exercise, but mad an effort a while back to start doing push-ups regularly. Made a massive difference to my riding - not for my riding ability sadly, but at least in preventing fatigue and having more strength (and therefore control & confidence) through rocks and hard compressions. Surprisingly it also helped with almost eliminating any on-bike lower back pain, suppose it did somewhat help strengthen my core - I suspect mostly it meant I wasn't over-using my back muscles trying to hold myself upright because of a weak upper body.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Base jumping sounds like what you need.
The fantasy was wingsuiting. Got the licence, never jumped again. Hate everything about it except flying the parachute. For some reason as soon as it deployed and knew it wasn't tangled, it was the most peaceful experience. Am considering giving paragliding a go if I can psych my self up. Will be in Bright in Nov, so might see what the situation looks like while there

Last edited:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Surprisingly it also helped with almost eliminating any on-bike lower back pain, suppose it did somewhat help strengthen my core - I suspect mostly it meant I wasn't over-using my back muscles trying to hold myself upright because of a weak upper body.
Yeah, good innit? I've got planks, 1000s and Russian twists in my routine for the core stuff. I rotate these so I don't get bored. Not having lower back pain while riding/recovering make a massive difference, even from a motivation perspective

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Yeah, good innit? I've got planks, 1000s and Russian twists in my routine for the core stuff. I rotate these so I don't get bored. Not having lower back pain while riding/recovering make a massive difference, even from a motivation perspective
Oh you want core? Get through this routine and you're set.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’d rather be able to ride for 4 days straight over anything else but if gym work helps get you there, so be it

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
From what I have heard, Cape to Cape is not tough( technical) in terms of a MTB stage race.
Based on stories from friends that have done it, much of the time is spent walking behind roadies that can’t ride anything slightly technical and don’t like getting across to let others through.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Based on stories from friends that have done it, much of the time is spent walking behind roadies that can’t ride anything slightly technical and don’t like getting across to let others through.
Which reiterates my point that being fitter is better, particularly at this race.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
From what I have heard, Cape to Cape is not tough( technical) in terms of a MTB stage race.

What you are doing now could certainly help although a much more focused 3 month program leading into the race would be easier to stick to. It’s a lot easier to be motivated for 12 weeks than an entire year - something we know you struggle with!

Get friendly with your road bike and start doing long rides, be comfortable on your bike for 3-4 hours at a time for now.
This is good advice, cheers

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
This is what put me off XC racing years ago. Especially when I did the Hellfire Cup a couple of times. You bust your arse up the hills, only to get passed near the top and have to watch some roadie Muppet sitting down the whole way down the descent and I'm yelling inside my head "f#ucking stand up you wanker". lol