Travel insurance recommendations

benmb1

Cannon Fodder
Hey all i'm heading off to whistler in a few weeks, but i'm having trouble finding insurance that will also cover a bike worth 5k.
I don't have home and contents insurance so i can't go that route. Anyway this is doing my head in so any help would be great

aboutfivebucks

Likes Bikes
Hey all i'm heading off to whistler in a few weeks, but i'm having trouble finding insurance that will also cover a bike worth 5k.
I don't have home and contents insurance so i can't go that route. Anyway this is doing my head in so any help would be great
Try travel insurance direct. (TID) I used them for north america last year for $4000 bike cover.
Also - make sure you read the PDS for the company you choose. Some of the travel insurance policies exclude Mountain Bike Parks.
Tip - open the PDS - search for 'bike' 'park' and 'mountain' - it sure beats reading through the boring policy.

Enjoy.

Switch

huskier headed gent
I have used Ouch travel insurance for ski holidays as they cover back country skiing. If you can provide proof of current valuation they appear to cover mountain bikes as a specifically listed item. They are underwritten by QBE, have been lucky enough not to have made a claim with them but they are reportedly pretty good.

Joel_32

Likes Dirt
Try travel insurance direct. (TID) I used them for north america last year for $4000 bike cover.
Also - make sure you read the PDS for the company you choose. Some of the travel insurance policies exclude Mountain Bike Parks.
Tip - open the PDS - search for 'bike' 'park' and 'mountain' - it sure beats reading through the boring policy.

Enjoy.
I too used to use Travel Insurance Direct having used them several times before, but was just doing a quote for a trip to whistler in August as well and noticed they now exclude bikes even when you pay an excess:
TID: "Bikes are not covered even if they are specified and an additional premium is paid"

mr_marko

Likes Bikes
Have you checked your credit card insurance? I know it sound stupid but most credit cards come with insurance as long as you buy your ticket with thag card you will be covered. I snapped a surfboard over in Hawaii last year and it was covered through my card with NAB.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Not sure about bike value but I've used Virgin Money/Insurance for a Japan ski trip. Had to claim when my son injured himself, treatment, rental gear, lift passes etc. No problems at all. They were excellent.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another TID user, never had to make a claim though and have only ever insured for snow sports. No experience with bikes through them.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Have you checked your credit card insurance? I know it sound stupid but most credit cards come with insurance as long as you buy your ticket with thag card you will be covered. I snapped a surfboard over in Hawaii last year and it was covered through my card with NAB.
Seconded. I called my cc provider to ask specific questions about a trip to QTown - myself and my bike were covered for everything that wasn't a race, including organised club sanctioned ride days etc. so riding the bikepark no problem, shuttling with johnno no problem, riding random trails no problem. And cost zero.

cheezario

Likes Bikes
Dude, I'm with Southern Cross Travel Insurance, they automatically cover you for sports and outdoor activities (most others have an add-on fee), and I was also able to add my bike for not much extra, even specifying which model and spec level with the retail price. Have used them a few times, highly recommended (and they're usually cheaper too!)

effarr

Likes Dirt
When I purchased a 12 month policy last year, Ouch Travel Insurance (backed by QBE) came out on top.

I had my bike on the policy for $5XXX based on a recent valuation from where I bought my frame. Having a valuation also means the insurance company can't devalue your bike.

I also had to make a claim through these guys (QBE) and while it took a bit of time to get the money back (5 weeks maybe) they came through in the end. Thankfully not my Banshee but a Specialized Camber I'd bought for my partner over there.

I'd use them again.

Leon

Last edited:

aboutfivebucks

Likes Bikes
I too used to use Travel Insurance Direct having used them several times before, but was just doing a quote for a trip to whistler in August as well and noticed they now exclude bikes even when you pay an excess:
TID: "Bikes are not covered even if they are specified and an additional premium is paid"
Thanks Joel for the heads up. I had already bought TID insurance for a trip next month. But I'm not dragging a bike this trip. I'm gunna give renting a try.

Cheers.

treble

Likes Dirt
Has anyone looked into travel insurance that would include racing?

Im headed to Whistler to work on Crankworx, I usually use Southern Cross. But I noticed in their PDS that they exclude cover for 'racing of any sort.' So i emailed them saying that although I am not competing, I will be riding the trails (course sweeps, speaking to track marshals, ect) and they said, in not so many words, that I wouldn't be covered.

any one have any recommendations?

aboutfivebucks

Likes Bikes
Has anyone looked into travel insurance that would include racing?

Im headed to Whistler to work on Crankworx, I usually use Southern Cross. But I noticed in their PDS that they exclude cover for 'racing of any sort.' So i emailed them saying that although I am not competing, I will be riding the trails (course sweeps, speaking to track marshals, ect) and they said, in not so many words, that I wouldn't be covered.

any one have any recommendations?

As for racing, Velosure cover racing. Look them up.
In BC you can often buy insurance for single events at registration - but need a Canadian address and health insurance.
If you 'helping' with Cranxworx and only being paid with a couple of beers each night and some raffle tickets for a new camelback, I would think your normal travel insurance may cover that.

Enjoy.

hargs

Likes Bikes
I am heading over to Whislter in August as well. I am going with CoverMore, they have a policy the "premium" one that you can increase luggage coverage for a single item up to 4500 and they cover mountain biking but not racing. I have used them before but never claimed from them.

treble

Likes Dirt
As for racing, Velosure cover racing. Look them up.
In BC you can often buy insurance for single events at registration - but need a Canadian address and health insurance.
If you 'helping' with Cranxworx and only being paid with a couple of beers each night and some raffle tickets for a new camelback, I would think your normal travel insurance may cover that.

Enjoy.
Yeah i looked at Velosure, but the travel insurance doesn't cover my bike, the idea being that you would already have one of their bike cover policies.

Unfortunately I'm not a volunteer track marshal, Im paid staff running the event. So i don't think ill just get away with it. I worked for the WB events crew when i lived there last year, I'm heading back for this event.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Unfortunately it is impossible to really rate insurance except on price premium until you try to make a claim.
IMHO they often try to avoid liability by citing a clause on page 158 that you missed.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I'm doing the TransNZ in Feb, looking for good coverage for my bike and self for a 5 day race overseas. Velosure have really surprised me, for $100 I have complete comprehensive travel insurance for my bike and body. i was expecting it to cost many multiples of that.
Does anyone have any alternatives for said race that might be worth checking out?

moorey

call me Mia
I'm doing the TransNZ in Feb, looking for good coverage for my bike and self for a 5 day race overseas. Velosure have really surprised me, for $100 I have complete comprehensive travel insurance for my bike and body. i was expecting it to cost many multiples of that.
Does anyone have any alternatives for said race that might be worth checking out?
Only a moron would do something like the TransNZ without any insurance whatsoever.